Discussion topic: Netflix: Red Spinning Circle on Launch

This message was authored by Paul+Com This message was authored by: Paul+Com

Re: Netflix: Red Spinning Circle on Launch

Easy way. Don't bother with the Sky box. Connect your TV to WiFi and use Netflix without Sky.

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

@Paul+Com wrote:

Easy way. Don't bother with the Sky box. Connect your TV to WiFi and use Netflix without Sky.

Along with possibly a superior picture, superior audio and a superior experience navigating the App, all while paying less on your Sky bill than standalone (and if not cheaper then you're doing something wrong).

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
VM 256Mpbs via rubbish VM HUB 3 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Paul+Com wrote:

I Liked this but actually on my 2nd TV, a vintage 1080p plasma still going strong, there are no smart apps so the sky mini does a great job running netflix, D+ iplayer etc for us there.

This message was authored by Sbateman This message was authored by: Sbateman

I've given up, just using Samsung tv app instead. At least I can get HDR on it unlike Sky version.

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

I wanted to jump on here to say I'm sorry to see there are still issues accessing Netflix and the 'red ring of doom'. We still have an investigation open with Netflix and we continue to share examples coming from our Community forum. 

We have been asked to check if by doing a factory reset on your Sky Q has this resolved your issue?

To reset the hard drive:

1. Press the Home button on your Sky Q remote, highlight Settings then press 0,0,1 and Select.
  2. Select Reset and scroll to Reset hard drive. A warning message will advise all existing and planned recordings will be deleted. Press Select to continue.
  3. Wait for the on-screen instructions to disappear then press standby button on the front of your Sky Q box, instead of the Home button on your Sky Q remote.

Please be aware:

• Resetting the hard drive permanently deletes all recordings, downloads, purchases, reminders and series links.
  • Resetting the hard drive will clear any remote pairings you have setup. To re-pair your remote to your Sky Q box, follow our online help guide

Please can you let me know if anyone has tried a hard drive reset and if it helped with the Netflix Spinning Circle issue.

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

So subscribers are asked to inconvenience themselves in an effort to resolve an issue not of their making. No problems with Amazon Prime. Netflix and Sky need to take responsibility and sort it.

@Paul+Com wrote:

So subscribers are asked to inconvenience themselves in an effort to resolve an issue not of their making. No problems with Amazon Prime. Netflix and Sky need to take responsibility and sort it.

That's what they're doing but only you can do a reset. Well Sky could do it remotely perhaps but I suspect you wouldn't like that.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Samsung S95C 55"

I don't see why I should have to do a reset and have all the inconvenience that will bring simply for the possibility of it resolving the issue. It probably won't. They need to take responsibility and put out a software update. 

This message was authored by swhxd06 This message was authored by: swhxd06

I assumed that this had all been resolved, as mine starting working perfectly again some weeks ago (perhaps I'm tempting fate?) The last time I spoke with a Sky adviser about this problem, she assured me that a fix was being rolled out. When mine started working, I just figured that the solution had indeed been sent out.

@Paul+Com wrote:

I don't see why I should have to do a reset and have all the inconvenience that will bring simply for the possibility of it resolving the issue. It probably won't. They need to take responsibility and put out a software update. 

Ok, well, good luck with that. Sometimes diagnostics are needed but this one is pretty dramatic if someone  hasn't already done it for another reason. Which is what I think Chloe is asking. Rather than telling people to try it. Unless I guess they don't have many unwatched recordings.

I don't think personally I would be prepared to risk a full hard drive reset if I had this issue. I would either try the workarounds and if that failed, use the app on the TV.

This message was authored by abi14- This message was authored by: abi14-

My Netflix isn’t working now either 😔

Mine isn't working now either, I don't watch it very often but the one evening I wanted to sit down and watch something, I'm just stuck on the red loading circle. 

I can log onto it on my iPad and my phone perfectly fine, so it must be a Sky issue. 

I've tried the resetting and refreshing apps but still nothing 😔

Re: My Netflix isn’t working now either 😔

@abi14- wrote:

Mine isn't working now either, I don't watch it very often but the one evening I wanted to sit down and watch something, I'm just stuck on the red loading circle. 

I can log onto it on my iPad and my phone perfectly fine, so it must be a Sky issue. 

I've tried the resetting and refreshing apps but still nothing 😔

And have you tried the thing that worked for a lot of people, kicking off your sky devices from the netflix app settings on another device so that they have to reauthenticate?

This message was authored by jo-ben This message was authored by: jo-ben

Re: Netflix often not working on SkyQ

Hi there - came across this thread as we always have the exact same issue - a spinning circle on Netflix. This is occurring more frequently as of late (limited to Sky Q as our other devices load fine), probably about 50% of the time.

The general pattern is:

• Open Netflix
  • Browse for programme/movie (works fine)
  • Select programme/movie
  • Get 0% streaming icon with spinning circle
  • Never loads

We have 1gb FTTP BT broadband, and the only thing I've found that works is to power cycle the Q box - as soon as it's back up, Netflix works fine and streams instantly upon selection as expected.

It's so annoying when it happens as we've often just gotten comfy and then have to get up to reset the box - so much so that when this happens I now just switch over to Apple TV and use Netflix there, which works every time.

If there are any suggestions I'm all ears!

Cheers

Re: Netflix often not working on SkyQ

@jo-ben wrote:

Hi there - came across this thread as we always have the exact same issue - a spinning circle on Netflix. This is occurring more frequently as of late (limited to Sky Q as our other devices load fine), probably about 50% of the time.

The general pattern is:

• Open Netflix
  • Browse for programme/movie (works fine)
  • Select programme/movie
  • Get 0% streaming icon with spinning circle
  • Never loads

We have 1gb FTTP BT broadband, and the only thing I've found that works is to power cycle the Q box - as soon as it's back up, Netflix works fine and streams instantly upon selection as expected.

It's so annoying when it happens as we've often just gotten comfy and then have to get up to reset the box - so much so that when this happens I now just switch over to Apple TV and use Netflix there, which works every time.

If there are any suggestions I'm all ears!

Cheers

You've got the solution I'd have thought by using the Apple TV box app, but there is a solution that works for many in the "answer" on the first page (2nd post) that just requires de-registering the box on the online account.

Samsung S95C 55"

That doesn't sound like the same issue. That one never gets the app started.

Possible the same workaround fixes it though.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion