Discussion topic: I have SKYQ and 4 multi-screen boxes I have never used, as we just have one TV and main receiver

This message was authored by Tom-44 This message was authored by: Tom-44

I have SKYQ and 4 multi-screen boxes I have never used, as we just have one TV and main receiver

In mid 2022 we purchased a SKYQ contract, and received the main receiver, plus 4 additional multi-screen boxes. Though we intended to purchase additional TV's, we have not done so. We now realise, perhaps too late, that Sky's charges are about to increase, so we are in a bit of a trap. Any suggestions?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: I have SKYQ and 4 multi-screen boxes I have never used, as we just have one TV and main receiver

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tom-44 

You could opt to cancel the Multiscreen subscription (and return the Mini boxes) at the end of the discounted minimum period.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: I have SKYQ and 4 multi-screen boxes I have never used, as we just have one TV and main receiver

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Tom-44 

You could opt to cancel the Multiscreen subscription (and return the Mini boxes) at the end of the discounted minimum period.

@Tom-44  if you are not using any then this make sense but be aware that if you do cancel  & decide to take it out again at a later date, it  is likley to incurr the one off admin fees again (although a few months of no subscription may cover this)

Tom-44
Topic Author

I have just bought a second TV, and I wish to install one of the Sky Q mini boxes I already have, but there are no accessories to enable me to connect the mini box! Any thoughts? @nigea99 @TimmyBGood 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Tom-44 

If that's a television without HDMI input then you'd need a Nokia CA-75U cable from eBay to plug into the AV minijack socket on the rear of the Mini box between the HDMI and optical audio ports..

CA_75U_1.jpg Mini_Rear_Large.png

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Where did the mini box come from @Tom-44 ?

If it came from Sky they all come with HDMI lead, power lead and remote control

Tom-44
Topic Author

Thanks @oldfella @TimmyBGood. I purchased the minin boxes at the same time I had Sky Q installed. The only accessories in each of the mini boxes are a plug and lead, and a remote. I have the rooms wired to accept multi-room mini boxes, but no accessories to connect them. Thank for comimg back to me guys

Tom-44
Topic Author

Sorry @oldfella @TimmyBGood - the main box and mini boxes were supplied and  installed by a SKY technician

Tom-44
Topic Author

As you will have guessed, I am a complete amateur. The main box was installed, but I now want to install one of the mini-boxes to the new TV and connect to the installed system

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Tom-44 

Just to clarify ~ you didn't 'purchase' the mini boxes. They are loaned to you, the same as the main box.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Tom-44
Topic Author

Photo of internal Sky Q portPhoto of internal SKY Q Port.jpg

Tom-44
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 originally purchased from SKY

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Tom-44 wrote:

@Daniel0210 originally purchased from SKY

@Tom-44 

Nope. All Sky Q boxes and all mini boxes were loaned to you and must be returned when you cancel Multiscreen or cancel Sky Q in full. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

@Tom-44 wrote:

I have the rooms wired to accept multi-room mini boxes

Mini boxes aren't intended to be 'wired', which is why they don't come with wires.

By default they use WiFi to connect with the main Q box.

You can, if you wish, put them on an ethernet distribution.

They don't have dish cables.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Tom-44 wrote:

Thanks @oldfella @TimmyBGood. I purchased the minin boxes at the same time I had Sky Q installed. The only accessories in each of the mini boxes are a plug and lead, and a remote. I have the rooms wired to accept multi-room mini boxes, but no accessories to connect them. Thank for comimg back to me guys

hi @Tom-44 

SKY Mini boxes do not directly connect to the distribution system in your case (or dish for others)

They connect to the Main box via a network connection - wifi or ethernet - if your wifi is not SKY then it connects using a wifi signal generated by the main box

this is why you don;t have any additional cables to connect it to the wall

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion