Discussion topic: I have SKYQ and 4 multi-screen boxes I have never used, as we just have one TV and main receiver

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: I have SKYQ and 4 multi-screen boxes I have never used, as we just have one TV and main receiver

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tom-44 wrote:

Photo of internal Sky Q port

Photo of internal SKY Q Port.jpg

That would generally be intended for the now outdated Sky+ Multiroom (single dish cable) rather than Sky Q Multiscreen (no dish feed)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: I have SKYQ and 4 multi-screen boxes I have never used, as we just have one TV and main receiver

@Tom-44 wrote:

@Daniel0210 originally purchased from SKY

Hi @Tom-44 

Provided the wall plate satellite sockets are connected to your Router and your  main Q boxes is also connected by Ethernet then you need the following.

• Power lead (should have come with Mini)
  • Ethernet cable from wall plate to mini (Sky do not supply Ethernet cables.  These are readily available online or in high street stores)
  • HDMI lead (should have come with mini).  Again thes are readily available at various lengths.

When all boxes are connected to your router by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Tom-44
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tom-44 This message was authored by: Tom-44

Thanks @oldfella I will try those suggestions - thanks also to @TimmyBGood @nigea99 @Daniel0210 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Tom-44 

Note that it's an ethernet port on the faceplate which needs to be on the same data-cable distribution as the main Q box (and ideally the internet router) in a legitimate ethernet topology.

Unfortunately it's rather common for such faceplates to be wired somewhat randomly, or with cables run back to a semi-random location with no provision for an ethernet switch.

@Tom-44 

I'd also observe that unless there's some labelling or a diagram somewhere, random ethernet ports aren't necessarily helpful...

Tom-44
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tom-44 This message was authored by: Tom-44

@TimmyBGood many thanks for the additional guidance - Cheers - Tom

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion