Discussion topic: Engineer sent me a text *eye roll*

This message was authored by Georgiechelsea This message was authored by: Georgiechelsea

Engineer sent me a text *eye roll*

An engineer visited today who was perfectly pleasant and fixed the issue. 

He texted me about three hours after he left to wish me a happy Christmas. 

sure, it could be someone just being nice but I don't feel comfortable with it. 

what would you feel/do? 

NB I am aware than I am not unattractive lol and I am a female in a lovely home, alone 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Kelsingra This message was authored by: Kelsingra Answer

Re: Engineer sent me a text *eye roll*

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

I am locking this thread down as it is not something that the Community users can help with. 
@Georgiechelsea please make sure to submit a formal complaint about the case following any of the options here.

Thank you for your understanding and for getting involved in our Sky Community. 🙂

Fanni
Community Moderator

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Georgiechelsea I would find that a bit inappropriate and consider it unprofessional.

There is no reason for the installer to be texting anyone 3 hours after a visit, especially just to wish them a happy christmas, it may be worth letting Sky know via their complaints procedure. 

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

I think that's out of line.

I am totally in two minds but the more I think about it, I think he needs to know he can't do things like that. His access to your personal data like phone numbers is not for anything other than professional purposes.

Whether you want to be the person that makes that happen, or just block his number, only you can decide really.

Georgiechelsea
Topic Author
This message was authored by Georgiechelsea This message was authored by: Georgiechelsea

@Chodley yes that's bugging me too, that he has my personal data and is using it inappropriately, and knows where I live. He also used my loo which is so uncomfortable, he did ask but I felt like I couldn't say no. 

I really don't know what to do. 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Georgiechelsea wrote:

@Chodley yes that's bugging me too, that he has my personal data and is using it inappropriately, and knows where I live. He also used my loo which is so uncomfortable, he did ask but I felt like I couldn't say no. 

I really don't know what to do. 

hi @Georgiechelsea 

I can see that this is giving you cause for concern.

I have escalated your post to a SKY support team, who, hopefully, will be in touch.

This team may not be able to deal directly with your case but are very experienced in terms of expectations for SKY Staff & procedures and should be able to offer advice if they cannot deal directly with your concerns

Please see this link re the escalation and what you might see:
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

If you are using Safari I believe you must make sure that 'Hide IP address' is not checked in settings to be able to see it - if you have difficulty finding that setting then may be try accessing here with another browser

Please note, however, due to the date and not all teams are fully staffed today & then very limited or closed over the Christmas period,  it is possible they may not be able to make contact until after Christmas

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to Georgiechelsea.

Georgiechelsea
Topic Author

@Chodley the more I think about your comment, the more I feel implored to make a formal complaint. "Whether I want to be that person or not" implies that it would be an egregious move on my part to call this out. I dont think this should be flipped on me for not simply putting up with it. 

I didn't mean to imply that. I was trying not to put pressure on you to do it as you didn't seem sure of his intent in your opening post and none of us have the same knowledge of the situation as you.

by the way I read in another thread that the escalation / chat system is shut until Thursday now so you might not be able to reply to, or even see the chat bubble for the escalation mentioned above.

or you can complain via the Sky website.

Georgiechelsea
Topic Author

@Chodley @it's not really relevant if I'm not sure of his intent. I do think the point is more than the line had already been crossed the moment my personal data was used for this purpose and simultaneously I felt incredibly uncomfortable with how it was used. Whether he was just being nice or being an utter creep is really not relevant, good intentions doesn't exactly make this horrible situation ok then. 

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@Georgiechelsea wrote:

An engineer visited today who was perfectly pleasant and fixed the issue. 

He texted me about three hours after he left to wish me a happy Christmas. 

sure, it could be someone just being nice but I don't feel comfortable with it. 

what would you feel/do? 

NB I am aware than I am not unattractive lol and I am a female in a lovely home, alone 

Regardless if you are unattractive or not you emphasise that you are not unattractive some people thrive on this sort of attention  obviously you don't and it makes you feel uncomfortable 

Also you are talking to total strangers why would you mention you are home alone?

Because it changes the context of the situation quite significantly. There's a "power/info" imbalance there which exacerbates why she feels vulnerable and makes it even less appropriate that he did what he did.

As for people asking to use the loo - does my head in but for some reason it's every time (not sky engineers but generally bods who come in to fix things)... but the worst are the animals you can tell didn't wash their hands.

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@best+of+the+best wrote:

Regardless if you are unattractive or not you emphasise that you are not unattractive some people thrive on this sort of attention  obviously you don't and it makes you feel uncomfortable 

Also you are talking to total strangers why would you mention you are home alone?

@best+of+the+best I'm not sure why you've chosen to focus on that part of the original post as it is entirely irrelevant, the relevent part is the behaviour of the Sky employee which was completely unacceptable, and given high profile cases in the media of similar incidents that lead to terrible outcomes it's rather concerning.

As for mentioning being home alone, we'll you've been here long enough to know that most(if not all) new members here are unaware that the forum is mainly customer to customer support/interaction, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to go down that route.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @Georgiechelsea, I'm really sorry this message made you feel uncomfortable, I'm sure this was with the best intentions but you're always right to question it! I recommend you email our complaints department by clicking here and the feedback will certainly be passed on.

Thanks,

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

Georgiechelsea
Topic Author

@best+of+the+best @I've mentioned I was home alone for context. Do you think I would feel as uncomfortable if I wasn't home alone? Do you think the engineer would have taken any liberties if I wasn't home alone? 
If I had a burly husband present would the engineer have asked to use my private space (the loo) and later send me a text?! 

I have also stated that I am aware that I am not unattractive for context too. Keeping in great shape and making an effort for MYSELF is all too often considered an invitation. 

Why can't women question or call out anything without it being turned on them 😞 

Indeed I was looking for customer to customer support - as the aforementioned victim blaming and shaming happens so often  it's normalised for women to blame themselves or second guess themselves when they feel uncomfortable. 

Im glad most agree this behaviour is unacceptable. 

Georgiechelsea
Topic Author

@Chloe-W22 best intentions or not is it actually lawful to use my data for personal reasons, and are your engineers actually trained to not make women feel uncomfortable in their own home?! Are they even told it's not a good idea to use customers toilets and text them outside of the context of the job they're there to do?! Seems like you're trying to make light of this a bit 😞 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion