Discussion topic: Changing Over Router on Mini Box

This message was authored by davebrad1 This message was authored by: davebrad1

Changing Over Router on Mini Box

I've switched to a new router and easily switched my main Sky Q box over. But with the mini box there doesn't seem to be any way to do this - it just simply keeps resetting to the old router and as such I now have no signal in my second room

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Changing Over Router on Mini Box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@davebrad1 wrote:

Switched to connection by Ethernet which brings up the Sky Home Screen but Technical Fault on the top left

Hi @davebrad1 

When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@davebrad1 wrote:

I've switched to a new router and easily switched my main Sky Q box over. But with the mini box there doesn't seem to be any way to do this - it just simply keeps resetting to the old router and as such I now have no signal in my second room

Hi @davebrad1 

Unless you are on Sky Broadband your mini can only connect to the main Q box or a Sky Q booster if using WiFi.

Try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

If you are on Sky Broadband and the Router is nearer to the mini than the main box then you can try pressing WPS on the router instead of the main Q box. If you do this make sure you press the Sky router WPS button and not the router reset button.

Failing all of the above you may need a Sky Q WiFi Booster to position midway between your main Q box and the mini and you will need to contact Sky directly.

davebrad1
Topic Author

Thnaks - the mini box seems to now be connected to the new wifi router but can't seem to find the Sky Q box

@davebrad1 wrote:

Thnaks - the mini box seems to now be connected to the new wifi router but can't seem to find the Sky Q box

Did you carry out a Network reset on the mini ? @davebrad1 

If so what happened?

Also who is now your Broadband supplier?

davebrad1
Topic Author

I did and I was able to connect to the new router and this is coming up with a tick on the settings. Have also clicked reactivate mini box on the main Sky Q box. But when I click reactivate it goes to connecting to Sky Q box it ends up saying cannot find Sky Q box. Not sure why the mini box is failing to connect to the main box despite having a strong internet connection 

@davebrad1 wrote:

I did and I was able to connect to the new router and this is coming up with a tick on the settings. Have also clicked reactivate mini box on the main Sky Q box. But when I click reactivate it goes to connecting to Sky Q box it ends up saying cannot find Sky Q box. Not sure why the mini box is failing to connect to the main box despite having a strong internet connection 

Who is your Broadband supplier @davebrad1 ?

davebrad1
Topic Author

I'm with BT but have just set up a Mercusys home mesh - this is what the main box is now connected to and the mini box also is

@davebrad1 wrote:

I'm with BT but have just set up a Mercusys home mesh - this is what the main box is now connected to and the mini box also is

Hi @davebrad1 

Afraid mini boxes will not connect by WiFi to 3rd party WiFi mesh or 3rd party routers.

you could get some success if you could connect the main Q box and the mini by Ethernet to the mesh units

davebrad1
Topic Author

Switched to connection by Ethernet which brings up the Sky Home Screen but Technical Fault on the top left

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@davebrad1 wrote:

Hi @davebrad1 

When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

You'll need to connect the Q by ethernet too if you do that. If it's using the meah wifi to get to the internet it will not try to talk to minis via that but still via its own mesh. I assume your mini and Q are too far apart for this to work.

If you connect the Q to one of your mesh nodes via ethernet that should work too.

davebrad1
Topic Author

Thanks everybody - especially Oldfella - turning off the wifi prived to be the key. If you were anywhere close to me I'd take you for a pint or drop you off a nice bottle of wine. Thanks again - it's really appreciated

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Yeah if you don't disable the wifi it has a habit of using it on the sly !

davebrad1
Topic Author

Thanks @oldfella - great knowledge and support

This message was authored by Laurie1403 This message was authored by: Laurie1403

Hi everyone,

we have just had a new WiFi installed in our house as its old with concrete walls so the sky wifi wasnt able to get around the house and sky were putting these plug in boosters everywhere. I have managed to connect the main sky q box to the new internet but minis won't connect when I do a reset. My problem is the minis are on different levels in the house so not sure how ill be able to connect the minis by Ethernet cable? Sorry I'm not very technical so trying to take this all in and understand it all! Thanks in advance for your help.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion