Discussion topic: Will a SKY Mobile SIM work in a car?

This message was authored by Benno123d This message was authored by: Benno123d

Re: Will a SKY Mobile SIM work in a car?

Pictures and videos added to your post will not appear immediately. These need to be approved by our moderators first, this shouldn’t take long.

let's hope you see them soon

So settings

then all settings

then connectivity

then mobile data 

then network provider should say Sky press that

Then press network and change to o2 and ok

This message was authored by wigggggy This message was authored by: wigggggy

@Benno123d thank you for your efforts alas I can't get that far as screen states 'sim not supported' alas will have to look at another provider.

20200603_121158.jpg

This message was authored by warwick+at+home This message was authored by: warwick+at+home

A variation on the problem.  I want to use my sim in a dongle in my mobile home so it will work through the signal boosting antenna on the roof.   When I put the sim in, I get directed to an O2 login page.  Sky account details do not work.  Sky Telephone Support don't know anything about it.

Those of you who just plugged it in and chose O2 presumably did not need to submit credentials.  Mine is choosing O2 automatically but needs credentials.   Any ideas?

This message was authored by Lucylilac This message was authored by: Lucylilac

I have finally sorted this problem out after spending hours re setting my dongle etc etc.  My dongle knew that I was looking at an O2 Network so that wasnt an issue with me.  But I could not load a page even though everything was working.   It is to do with APN settings.  Somewhere in your dongle app there should be a place to put in APN Settings.. Where it says Name put in  Sky Internet then in the APN box put in mobile.sky.  It worked immediately for me.  I hope the Sky Technicians read this.  

This message was authored by Faye87 This message was authored by: Faye87

I have just had the same issue spoke to 3 people at sky 2 told me that sky SIMS are not compatible with cars so I cancelled and then after cancelling with the 3rd person he said they are compatible and kow I have found this, wondeeing if I should reorder now and see if it works wish their staff knew this answer wasted a lot of time on the phone over the last 2 weeks

This message was authored by warwick+at+home This message was authored by: warwick+at+home

Sky sims will work in dongles and therefore cars if you sort the APN settings, but the helpline will not generally help you do this unless you get the right person. (it's not in the telephone support manual!!!)  

HOWEVER, remember that although all your car software can connect through it, if you plan on using it so someone in the back seat can watch sky TV on a tablet, you will be charged data even though you can supposedly watch sky for free over a sky mobile sim.   But you only get the free TV if the sim is inside the device accessing the video feed, ie the phone or tablet itself. 

This message was authored by JPO2020 This message was authored by: JPO2020

Hello, I can’t get this to work. Please can you help me with what needs to be in APN and if anything needs in the user name and password @Benno123d

Hi

from memory you go into settings and change the network provider (might be called something else) and change Sky to O2

I think that's the wrong way round.   It automatically fills the box with O2 because it's an O2 mast /system.   You needed to put in the APN: sky.mobile      leave the user name and password blank.  

I am also going from memory.  

Cheers guys. The weird thing is. It automatically sets the network and seemingly won't let me change it from sky to o2

Yep did that to me but you should be able to change it

if not get in touch with you local garage 

This message was authored by Faye87 This message was authored by: Faye87

On mine you had to select network it said something like auto detect network change it to manual then type in o2 leave the other firlds blanks and then it worked right away. There was no ok or confirm button just press back and it saved it and worked

This message was authored by GregLS This message was authored by: GregLS

Guys, I have just purchased an Audi Q7.... will the techniques previously discussed work in an Audi Q7? Has anyone tried it with a Sky mobile SIM?

I persisted with the setup as though it was a sky sim and given a few days it randomly started working. It's just a normal call, text and data sim. If you've purchased the 3 year online connectivity pack with the car then only use your sky sim when someone wants to connect to Wi-fi in the car. Otherwise I have mine ejected in the glove box so that it uses the unltd data of the 3 year connectivity pack sim that's embedded in the car 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion