Discussion topic: Will a SKY Mobile SIM work in a car?

This message was authored by Oakfieldguys This message was authored by: Oakfieldguys

Will a SKY Mobile SIM work in a car?

My wife’s just bought a new car which has internet connectivity facilities if we insert a data SIM into the vehicle. Does anyone know if SKY SIMs work OK in vehicles as I’ve read some networks don’t support this? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Benno123d This message was authored by: Benno123d Answer

Re: Will a SKY Mobile SIM work in a car?

Hi sky sim does work, you just need to change ‘Sky’ to ‘o2’ under ‘Service Providor’ 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Sam-R This message was authored by: Sam-R

That's a good question. I've just had a dig around in our help content and can't find anything so I will ask around and get back to you. 

Sam
Community Manager

This message was authored by Sam-R This message was authored by: Sam-R

Hi there, 

It's not a straight up no but then again it's not an outright yes. 

We've found that some customers have succeeded and others haven't been able to get it working. Unfortunately, we cannot offer support via the call centre for this sort of thing. 

That's not to say a knowledgeable community user won't offer help. 

You could test the SIM in your cooling off period to see if it works. 

Sam
Community Manager

This message was authored by Jayboy1990 This message was authored by: Jayboy1990

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If it doesnt work.

Alternative - Create a hotspot from your mobile device that gives WiFi connection in the vehicle.

I know it doesnt mean you can insert a sim into the car necesarily, it would give the same functionality in this regard.

Many thanks

——————————————————————————————————

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*
I help out where I can in the Sky Glass forum, maybe a superuser but not a sky employee.

Sky glass 55”Anthracite - Stand mounted - Ethernet

Virgin media broadband 350mbps
Sky mobile - iPad and iPhone 13 pro max
Plenty of Apple tech
Oakfieldguys
Topic Author
This message was authored by Oakfieldguys This message was authored by: Oakfieldguys

Apprecaite your help and advice.

It's a new Range Rover Evoque my wife has bought and some of the connected services are things like being able to preplan a route while at home and send it to the car, inegrated updated parking and traffic info on the planned route shown on the screen in the car, automatic updated time of arrival messages to contacts etc. I'm under the impression, these wont work unless they connect via the car. Unfortuantely, the WiFi hotspot is probably the one feature we wont use as being now in the (fortunate?) position we have no kids in the car and as you suggest, would just use our mobile for web browsing.

Oakfieldguys
Topic Author

Thanks Sam.

The car in question is a new Range Rover Evoque. You wouldn't happen to know if any of those customers who have suceeded are using Range Rover Incontrol Services would you?

This message was authored by Jayboy1990 This message was authored by: Jayboy1990

So i am sure from looking online that you could always Hotspot on phone and connect the car to that connection.

Its very similar to the Audi system which is actually better with the tether on and no sim card in car.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*
I help out where I can in the Sky Glass forum, maybe a superuser but not a sky employee.

Plenty of Apple tech

Taken from the product setup page on Range Rover...

'In order to enable connectivity on the vehicle, please install a SIM with a suitable data-only contract. You may need to request it from your mobile network provider.'

DATA ONLY contract... Sky arent offering these yet.

Thanks

Plenty of Apple tech
Oakfieldguys
Topic Author

@Jayboy1990wrote:

So i am sure from looking online that you could always Hotspot on phone and connect the car to that connection.

Its very similar to the Audi system which is actually better with the tether on and no sim card in car.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Thanks again. I'll give it a try later and let people know if it works for future reference

Oakfieldguys
Topic Author

@Jayboy1990wrote:

Taken from the product setup page on Range Rover...

'In order to enable connectivity on the vehicle, please install a SIM with a suitable data-only contract. You may need to request it from your mobile network provider.'

DATA ONLY contract... Sky arent offering these yet.

Thanks

I fear you’re right, although Sam-R indicated they had got some customers who had success with their SIM. Unfortunately using a mobile as a hotspot for the vehicles services doesn’t work - your can connect the vehicle via the phone without problem, but (on a Range Rover), when you select the additional services, it asks you to switch on data roaming in the car. The car then tries to access via the SIM it’s expecting in the slot and when it finds there isn’t one installed it turns the services back off. Looks like to get the full services you need to insert a SIM into the vehicle, which leaves me with two choices, trying a SIM from Sky and returning it under the cooling off period if it doesn’t work (sounds like hassle), or going for one from the likes of EE without the benefit of data rollover and at twice the cost. Thanks for your input - much appreciated 

This message was authored by Emmel This message was authored by: Emmel

Did you ever get this to work? I have the same issues with a Jaguar.

Oakfieldguys
Topic Author

@Emmel wrote:

Did you ever get this to work? I have the same issues with a Jaguar.

In the end I decided to get a SIM from EE. I couldn’t get a definitive answer from SKY, and given they don’t promote any Data only SIMs I thought the probability was it wouldn’t work so decided to go for a (more expensive) route that I knew would work.

This message was authored by Benno123d This message was authored by: Benno123d

Had big problems today getting a Sky sim to work in my Range Rover Evoque, finally worked when we deleted ‘sky’ from supplier and replaced it with o2 now works fine 

This message was authored by Benno123d This message was authored by: Benno123d Answer

Hi sky sim does work, you just need to change ‘Sky’ to ‘o2’ under ‘Service Providor’ 

This message was authored by JamesT123 This message was authored by: JamesT123

I can confirm that this worked for me with a Jaguar F-Pace. I manually changed the proivder to O2 and left the username and password blank.

once the details were saved, the 4G indicator came on almost immediately!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion