Discussion topic: Channels 103-105 in the Sky Go app should be the HD versions of those channels

This message was authored by swainsy This message was authored by: swainsy

Channels 103-105 in the Sky Go app should be the HD versions of those channels

Channels 103-105 in the Sky Go app should be the HD versions of ITV1, C4 and C5, but they are the SD versions.

unnamed.jpg

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Re: Channels 103-105 in the Sky Go app should be the HD versions of those channels

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @swainsy this isn't a fault but expected behaviour from channels 103 - 105, as they do not smart swap to HD. The HD versions of these channels are 138 for Channel 4, 803 for ITV/STV and 805 for Channel 5.

You don't need multiscreen or the HD pack to watch these channels live, but you will need the HD Pack to watch recordings sent to the Sky Box from the app.

@AJH Do you have a screenshot of what you mean by you have these channels in HD?

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Channels 103-105 in the Sky Go app should be the HD versions of those channels

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@swainsy 

The same with ITV 2 at 118, via Sky Go it is the SD version while online the channel doesn't appear at all. But at least, finally we have the BBC HD versions in the correct place.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
swainsy
Topic Author

Yes I see that now. It feels quite random because ITV3 and 4 are on 119 and 120,  but they are the HD versions, but as you say ITV2 on 118 is SD. 

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @swainsy ,

Thanks for the post and your involvement on the other BBC HD thread. I checked with the team and can confirm these channels do not Smart Swap with HD versions (where HD channels are at the top of the TV guide if you have HD subscription) on Sky Go. This may be something we look at in the future but for right now these channels are showing as expected.

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

swainsy
Topic Author

Hi @Chloe-W22, thanks for your response.

I hear what you're saying, but it makes no sense from a customer-facing standpoint for not only 103-105 not to mirror the TV EPG and show their HD counterparts, but also, as someone else has pointed out 118 is ITV2 SD yet 119 & 120 are ITV3 and 4 HD, respectively.

That may be something that the team you spoke with think is showing 'as expected', but to me, it's just incorrect.

This message was authored by AJH This message was authored by: AJH

@swainsy, for me for Sky Go on iPhone and iPad 103 to 105 are HD channels.

Sorry, forgot to add, ITV2 HD is also available at 118 on iPhone and iPad (at least for me).

swainsy
Topic Author

Do you have multi-screen @AJH ?

@swainsy, yes, I do have Multi-Screen, and I do recall this came up before.

I guess what I'm missing is why you need to have Multi-Screen to display the channels and send requests to the Sky Box? The two should not be linked in any way as far as I can see.

swainsy
Topic Author

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't have multi-screen and all those channels are SD for me. I think it's because when you have multi-screen and you're connected to the same WiFi as your box the channels appear differently on Sky Go.  That's only from info I've gathered from people on here, though. 

swainsy
Topic Author

I don't accept the answer that that's just the way it is, it just makes for a poor user experience and the trouble with that is that I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't even notice and just accidentally record stuff in SD. 

@swainsy, You said:

I think it's because when you have multi-screen and you're connected to the same WiFi as your box the channels appear differently on Sky Go

Same WiFi  doesn't seem to be required (anymore).

I can see all of the HD channels whether I am on WiFi or Cellular.

Still need Sky to elaborate why Multi-Screen is needed.  @Chloe-W22 , any comment please?

This message was authored by Richardr1 This message was authored by: Richardr1

Re "118 is ITV2 SD yet 119 & 120 are ITV3 and 4 HD" - ITV3 and ITV4 SD have been closed by ITV, so there are no swops required. ITV2 still has an SD version - hence the difference in behaviour [I'm not saying it is right 🙄 ].

Sky Q 2TB box and one Minibox
swainsy
Topic Author

I think that may be it @Richardr1: if a channel doesn't have an SD equivalent then it automatically goes to the top of the guide. It still doesn't explain why @AJH sees those channels as HD, though.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion