Discussion topic: Channels 103-105 in the Sky Go app should be the HD versions of those channels

swainsy
Topic Author
This message was authored by swainsy This message was authored by: swainsy

Re: Channels 103-105 in the Sky Go app should be the HD versions of those channels

Do you think Sky are going to fix this issue?

This message was authored by AJH This message was authored by: AJH

Re: Channels 103-105 in the Sky Go app should be the HD versions of those channels

I still can't get my head around this.

For me all the HD channels are where I expect to find them on 103-105 as well as BBC1 & 2 on 101/102 respectively.

Various comments in this or the original thread commented on Multi-Screen and HD. 

@Chloe-W22 stated that HD isn't necessary. I don't know if Multi-Screen is necessary, but I do have this.

swainsy
Topic Author

Thanks @AJH  and is this also the case when you're not connected to the same WiFi as your box at home?

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AJH wrote:

I still can't get my head around this.

For me all the HD channels are where I expect to find them on 103-105 as well as BBC1 & 2 on 101/102 respectively.

Various comments in this or the original thread commented on Multi-Screen and HD. 

@Chloe-W22 stated that HD isn't necessary. I don't know if Multi-Screen is necessary, but I do have this.

@AJH If you are at home and on the same network as your go app is connected to your Q box (I can't remember if you need multiscreen for the app to connect to your box or not I know you do, to access recordings on your box ) then the channel order on Sky Go will mirror that of your Q box but if you are not on your homenetwork and use a different network that your Q box is not on ie mobile data etc then the channels in the Go app revert to Skys placement of the channels 

hope thisa helps 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@swainsy 

101 and 102 wouldn't be present in the EPG list of channels available to view by streaming when 'away from home' (for Sky Q subscribers) and are never there for Glass & Stream users. For me 104 is also missing, but that's a Welsh thing.

At home now, I'm seeing ITV1 HD on 803 and 5 HD on 805 : 103 and 105 are the SD versions. 108 is C4 SD, in Wales, while C4 HD is up on 138.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@swainsy - I thought so, but I just did another check.

I now realise, when I turned off WiFi, I get 

'Watch on iPhone' and 'Record to Sky Box'. and below that 'All Channels'.

'Record to Sky Box' does NOT show HD on 103-105.

If I turn on WiFi and restart Sky Go, then when I click 'TV Guide' I only see 'All Channels' at the top of the screen and I see 103-105 as HD.

So, I must have missed this wrinkle earlier, my apologies.

(Although I had thought when I was out and about I had seen HD on these channels, I must have been mistaken.).

@Laing1 - I just posted a new comment on this. It seems I made a mistake.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@AJH wrote:

@Laing1 - I just posted a new comment on this. It seems I made a mistake.

@AJH yea just saw can see from the the times of when the replies were posted you were in the middle of writing your response as i was posting mine 😁 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

@TimmyBGood - I have turned off my WiFi on my iPhone, and I can see 101 as BBC1 HD & 102 as BBC2 HD when I select 'Record to Sky Box'. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@AJH 

As record to box functionality (which also doesn't exist for Glass / Stream) but not for viewing.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood, indeed, that is in fact what I want, I don't watch on my mobile device.

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @swainsy this isn't a fault but expected behaviour from channels 103 - 105, as they do not smart swap to HD. The HD versions of these channels are 138 for Channel 4, 803 for ITV/STV and 805 for Channel 5.

You don't need multiscreen or the HD pack to watch these channels live, but you will need the HD Pack to watch recordings sent to the Sky Box from the app.

@AJH Do you have a screenshot of what you mean by you have these channels in HD?

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

@Chloe-W22 

Hello Chloe, please see attached.

Note this is after turning ON WiFi and Restarting Sky Go and clicking 'TV Guide'.

Then I don't see 'Watch on iPhone' or 'Record to Sky Box', I only see the line with 'All Channels'.

Sky Channels 103-105 showing as HD when on WiFi.jpeg

@Chloe-W22 

Hello Chloe, a follow up - I did check but forgot to mention, if I then select to record (not watch) any of these channels I can choose to 'Record [series | once] to Sky Box'.

swainsy
Topic Author

Hi @Chloe-W22 you may not call it a fault, but to most people who use the app to set their box to record, who don't have multi-screen, it's just irritating, especially when it could be corrected, as you say 'at some point in the future'. However you want to phrase it, 'smart swap' isn't a customer-facing phrase so it's meaningless to keep repeating it as if we're all supposed take it as read. 
As I've said, I'm sure that most people won't scroll to the 800s for the HD version of ITV1, for example; so they'll be recording the SD version without realising. 

I appreciate it's not your fault, but it's frustrating. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion