Discussion topic: Sky Glass 65" keeps freezing need to power off and on again

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Re: Sky Glass 65" keeps freezing need to power off and on again

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mat0505 Welcome to the forum and the frustrations of streaming.

I see you have an ethertnet connection so hopefully you will be receiving a stable signal.  Out of interest what speed are you receiving at your glass TV.  I'm not asking for the output of your router but the speed received at the actual system (they can often vary considerably).

To check this open the Netflix App and go to menu on the left edge of the screen and move down then across to "Get Help".  Select Check your Network and then after a short wait (depending on your speed) it wil show you the connection speed.

I am using wi-fi but have a fast connection speed (460mbps) and a stable signal and have never experienced freezing or stuttering until I had a network problem recently and my speed dropped to a crawl (ISP problem not Glass I'm glad to say so it is now back to normal).  

You mention you have only had Glass for a couple of weeks so you can cancel and return to Sky Q within the 31 days cooling off period.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Mat0505 wrote:

Hey everybody,
I am new to Sky Glass and wish we hadnt switched from the Q box 😖

We have had Sky Glass for a couple of weeks and experienced freezing, and like most others the only option to fix it was to turn it off at the socket and turn it back on again.

I have tried literally everything to stop it freezing, and even invested in a top of the range ethernet cable straight from the router and it still freezes, funnily though its only Sky Witness and Channel 5, so irrespective on what Sky say, if its just 2 channels then its a problem with the stream from Sky.

They should just own up to the problems, its crazy!

You can easily revert back to Sky Q within 31 days of activating Glass. You can choose to return the TV for a full refund and purchase a more functional smart TV instead, or keep the Glass TV and connect the Q box to it via HDMI. 

This message was authored by Mat0505 This message was authored by: Mat0505

Thanks for your message.

I have tipped over 31 days by 2 days sadly ☹️

My wired connection is running at 89.68mbps, is that too low, dont have problems with other streaming services?

Cheers

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Mat0505 wrote:

Thanks for your message.

I have tipped over 31 days by 2 days sadly ☹️

My wired connection is running at 89.68mbps, is that too low, dont have problems with other streaming services?

Cheers

Your speed is more than sufficient. The ethernet port is capped at 100Mbps anyway, it's not gigabit. 

kevisere4u
Topic Author
This message was authored by kevisere4u This message was authored by: kevisere4u

These are the 2 suggestions that I recieved from a Sky Expert

1 We are going to have a look at that, too. For now, are you able to run a software update for me?
If you could follow these steps: 
Switch the Sky Glass or Sky Stream puck to standby.
Switch it off at the mains and unplug it.
Plug it back in and switch it back on at the mains.
Leave the Sky Glass or Sky Stream puck powered on for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, switch the Sky Glass or Sky Stream puck to standby again.
Switch it off at the plug and switch it back on again. There’s no need to unplug it this time.
Press the Home button on the Sky remote.
After a few seconds, the Sky logo will show on screen as the TV or Sky Stream puck starts back up. The software version will now be updated to the latest version.

2 No, I completely get that. Freezing is usually connected to either connectivity, software or hardware. We have now run an update, and then if it occurs again, we can try to recovery procedure. I want to leave resetting the hard drive as the last resort. But I would like you to try and turn off Glass now. Then while it is off, I need you to reset your hub, please, by pressing the reset button on the back. Once the lights are all green again, please restart your Glass device.

Since this has been performed my 65" Glass is now 

Hoping for a brighter future and a Glass that is reliable.

@kevisere4u wrote:

These are the 2 suggestions that I recieved from a Sky Expert

1 We are going to have a look at that, too. For now, are you able to run a software update for me?
If you could follow these steps: 
Switch the Sky Glass or Sky Stream puck to standby.
Switch it off at the mains and unplug it.
Plug it back in and switch it back on at the mains.
Leave the Sky Glass or Sky Stream puck powered on for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, switch the Sky Glass or Sky Stream puck to standby again.
Switch it off at the plug and switch it back on again. There’s no need to unplug it this time.
Press the Home button on the Sky remote.
After a few seconds, the Sky logo will show on screen as the TV or Sky Stream puck starts back up. The software version will now be updated to the latest version.

2 No, I completely get that. Freezing is usually connected to either connectivity, software or hardware. We have now run an update, and then if it occurs again, we can try to recovery procedure. I want to leave resetting the hard drive as the last resort. But I would like you to try and turn off Glass now. Then while it is off, I need you to reset your hub, please, by pressing the reset button on the back. Once the lights are all green again, please restart your Glass device.

Since this has been performed my 65" Glass is now 

Who was this 'Sky Expert'?

Sky Glass has no hard drive to reset, so that second point is absolute nonsense. 

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

They've only gone and got you to, on the second point, reset your broadband hub router. Nothing to do with that if it's getting sufficient speed to work it.

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 

What's the difference between turning it off at the mains and unplugging it. And how would that effect an update?

Sounds like a load of baloney 

kevisere4u
Topic Author
This message was authored by kevisere4u This message was authored by: kevisere4u

@Mat0505 @Kevin-7248 Don't shoot the messanger, this is what I was told in private chat with a so caller Sky Expert. So far the Glass is doing what it says on the tin.

Perhaps unplugging the Glass is like the first plug in and power up when you first get the TV to upload the latest software version.

The only difference is when unplugged it is disconnected from Earth and Neutral, switching off only disconnects the Live. Maybe something internal detects this.

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

@Mat0505 Sky advise total disconnect - switch off and unplug. There can still be residual current with just a mere switch off with the TV and thus, not totally be disconnected from the mains in that amount of time when, in similar regard as a  'just switch off and back on again' for a router. The router power cycles whereas the TV needs more of a persuasion sort of impact.

As such, the difference between this can be seen when you are advised to do it. 

Furthermore, when you are doing this with the sky glass tv, it is forcing upon boot up a sequence to check for updates or rollbacks which may stabilise performance of the TV system. 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 

Fair do's 😁

I will give it a try my end 😉

This message was authored by Nick41a This message was authored by: Nick41a

I had this with my Sky Glass over both Wifi and Ethernet. It got so bad that in the end I have had to move away from Sky Glass in total. I dont know if it is a compatability issue with my ISP (G.Network) but there were many people saying the same thing which makes me think Sky must know about this but haven't done (or cant do) anything to solve it. Sorry to say that if I were you I would return the unit and cancel whilst you are still in the cooling off period (presuming you are). I dont think it will get better any time soon.

This message was authored by david+john This message was authored by: david+john

I had the same problem as you I had a new router and problem was gone 

kevisere4u
Topic Author

I now have a new Sky router 145mbs and the Software update to QS018.007.00P and so far it is behaving itself, fingers crossed for modern technology LOL

kevisere4u
Topic Author

My Glass was running along fine on the upgrade software, 1.2, QS018.007.00P, untill it froze one day and I foolishly rebooted and took out the mains plug, now it is back to the original SW QS017.005.01P.

Is there a way to get the upgrade or just have to wait till it's my turn for the download?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion