Discussion topic: Sky compatible routers

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky compatible routers

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@OnlyAsh 

What Modem/Router is that? Doesnt look like the one @cookiemonsteruk is talking about and that we've tested previously

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
OnlyAsh
Topic Author
This message was authored by OnlyAsh This message was authored by: OnlyAsh

@jamesn123 

the modem is a TP link TD -W9970 version 1.0 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@OnlyAsh

To set up the TP-Link TD-W9970 V1 as a bridge for VDSL, you can follow these steps:

1. Connect your computer to the TD-W9970 via an Ethernet cable.

2. Open a web browser and type "192.168.1.1" in the address bar. Then, press Enter.

3. Enter the default username and password to log in. The default username is "admin," and the password is also "admin."

4. Click on "Advanced Setup" and then select "DSL."

5. Click on "DSL Mode" and choose "VDSL" from the dropdown menu.

6. Click on "Save" to save the changes.

7. Click on "Advanced Setup" again and select "LAN."

8. Click on "LAN Settings" and disable the DHCP server.

9. Click on "Save" to save the changes.

10. Connect the TD-W9970 to your router via an Ethernet cable.

11. Restart both the TD-W9970 and the router.

Once the devices have restarted, the TD-W9970 should be set up as a bridge for VDSL. You can connect your devices to the TD-W9970 via Ethernet cable, and the TD-W9970 will simply pass the VDSL connection through to your devices, eg: the Asus.

Once this is done above you need to set up the router with DHCP Option 61 and VLAN 101 on the Asus...

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
OnlyAsh
Topic Author

@mae-3 there is no option for advanced setup when I log in to the TP link? 

@OnlyAsh 

Have you updated the firmware to the latest?

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
OnlyAsh
Topic Author

@mae-3 
Yeah I have updated the firmware latest is 2017 still no advanced setup 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@OnlyAsh 

Can you post a screenshot of the web interface homepage? 
Also a picture of the modem itself?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by SamBuster This message was authored by: SamBuster

@OnlyAsh

I am in the same boat as you. SR203 with with MER, fttc,  superfast, connects to telephone socket. 

My Sky modem/router is OK. but I looking to use something like Asus rt ax86u (or the cheaper RT AX58U) mainly because of the better parental control features.  From what @cookiemonsteruk  and @mae-3  have said I understand the follwoing (please correct me if I am wrong.

Tp link td w9970 (as bridge) + Asus RT AX58U is a future proof option 

Once the all fibre connection arrives you won't need the td w9970

The alternative is to ge a DSL model compatible with sky

ASUS says the parental control feature won't work under some conditions. -  "ASUS AiProtection does not currently operate in access point mode, repeater mode or media bridge mode."

Now does this mean the 'Tp link td w9970 (as bridge) + Asus RT AX58U' configuration will put the Asus RT AX58U into one of those modes (access point mode, repeater mode or media bridge mode.) and the feature won't work?

@SamBuster 

The TP-Link W9970 in bridge mode is like it would be with a straight modem for VDSL2 (Sky superfast).  So, the Asus router connected to it will route and therefore all features and facilities will be available including parental control.

-------

Oh thank you so much @mae-3 for the superfast reply  🤩

That is very kind of you. 👍

By the way is the Asus RT AX58U as good as, or better than, the sky supplied SR203 in terms of range, speed etc.? Because I am not really into gaming and the SR203's range is something I can live with. So wondering if the AX86 has any major advantages compared to  AX58U apart from a gaming point of view? Does it have a bigger range?

@SamBuster 

The range will be similar for both the Asus routers you have mentioned. The speed over wireless is better on the AX86 but the clients need to support the channel width of 160Mhz which most don't, if you are on a budget pick the lower-price Asus.

-------

@SamBuster 

And yes, the Asus routers are much better than the Sky Hub they support more channels and bands on 5Ghz and therefore the likeliness of interference from others in the local area is much lower. 

-------

Amazing 🤩

Thank you so much @mae-3 

I finally know what to do now 😅

That was really helpful!

Thank you so much and have a great long weekend.

by the way @OnlyAsh , Just curious,  did you manage to get the  w9970 (as bridge) + Asus RT setup work in the end?

By the way I would like to ask one more question please @mae-3 

I have an older TP link thing that I bought .  I was using it as an access point for sometime but now I am not using it. Wondering if this can be used for bridge mode instead of the TD-W9970?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion