Discussion topic: Sky compatible routers

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Sky compatible routers

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@OnlyAsh 

Sky mer is authentication of the router not the modem. Best solution is the tp link td w9970 and the standalone asus rt ax82u. The dsl variant will work for the existing connection but may not future proof you for fttp. Also as you said if your house is set up with ethernet you can have the modem close to your mastersocket and you router close to your gaming device. The rt ax82u has a priority ethernet gaming port that supercedes any wifi based adaptive qos

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@OnlyAsh 

The Asus DSL AX82U is an FTTC all-in-one modem router that connects to the telephone line socket on the wall. The other piece of equipment isn't used with that all-in-one VDSL2 modem router.

The other piece of equipment that @cookiemonsteruk is recommending is for ethernet routers that don't have a built-in modem, and that piece of equipment is a cheap solution for connecting it to the line.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
OnlyAsh
Topic Author
This message was authored by OnlyAsh This message was authored by: OnlyAsh

@cookiemonsteruk 

ahh okay, so does that mean I can connect a switch to the gaming port and then all the ports on the switch will become a dedicated gaming port? 

also would you recommend the 86 over the 58? Any others you'd recommend?

OnlyAsh
Topic Author

@mae-3 

So the modem is more for "future proofing" I'm assuming I can completely hide it away as it's just basically a connected of 2 different types of cables? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@OnlyAsh 

@OnlyAsh wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk 

ahh okay, so does that mean I can connect a switch to the gaming port and then all the ports on the switch will become a dedicated gaming port? 

Not sure about that one. @mae-3 any ideas

also would you recommend the 86 over the 58? Any others you'd recommend?

The rt ax86u is a step up from the rt ax82u . For gaming i would put both above the rt ax58u

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@OnlyAsh 

Basically correct, if you have an FTTC connection that is one that connects to the telephone line, then the modem and the separate router are future-proofing for FTTP which is an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) that replaces the modem.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@cookiemonsteruk & @OnlyAsh 

Basically, you cannot connect an unmanaged ethernet switch to obtain x number of gaming LAN ports, unfortunately. But it is a nice idea! 😀

-------

@OnlyAsh 

@OnlyAsh wrote:

@mae-3 

So the modem is more for "future proofing" I'm assuming I can completely hide it away as it's just basically a connected of 2 different types of cables? 

It means you can dispose od the tp link when fttp arrives and connect the asus directly to the optical modem ont

You would have a short dsl cable from mastersocket to tp link and up to 300 ft of category 5e from tp link to asus. Too long a dsl cable would lose more speed that the ethernet to the asus

OnlyAsh
Topic Author

@mae-3 

So to complete my network I will need to get 

the tp link modem

the asus router 

and a managed switch

OnlyAsh
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

ah okay fair enough that makes way more sense 

@OnlyAsh 

Neither a unmanaged nor a managed switch will get you x number of gaming ports.  Use the dedicated gaming port for 1 device and probably other gaming equipment set up on wifi using adaptive qos favouring the gaming profile. The unmanaged switch the just to increase the number of standard ethernet ports

@cookiemonsteruk & @OnlyAsh 

You can prioritise traffic through some Asus routers supporting full trunk VLAN functionality, and that would allow a managed switch with VLAN functionality to have multiple VLAN ports for gaming over its VLAN access ports in conjunction with the Asus router usually with Merlin firmware.

-------

@OnlyAsh 

@mae-3 

Asus-Merlin not available on rt ax82u

But it does for the Asus

RT-AX86U 388.1

OnlyAsh
Topic Author

So do I go for the 86 or the 82? 

@OnlyAsh 

Similar specs but with the rt ax86u only marginally more expensive the rt ax86u wins the race by a nose

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion