Discussion topic: Settings to configure alternative router to work with Sky Fibre / DHCP Option 61

This message was authored by DanielUK2 This message was authored by: DanielUK2

Settings to configure alternative router to work with Sky Fibre / DHCP Option 61

What are the settings required to configure an alternative router to work with Sky broadband?
It seems that Sky does require DHCP option 61. What are the parameters?
I see different views ranging from random passwords to some linked to the MAC address of the Sky router.
Sky 'technical support' is shockingly lacking of basic networking knowledge (e.g. they don’t even know what DHCP is). Ofcom forced Sky to allow other modems/routers to be used but Sky does purposely have a complex configuration and doesn’t provide any instructions.
I am leaving to Virgin Media as soon as my contract expires.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Settings to configure alternative router to work with Sky Fibre / DHCP Option 61

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DanielUK2 

It's not particularly complicated as long as the router can present MER (DHCP Option 61) rather than PPPoA/PPPoE.  Username: abcdefgh@skydsl Password: 1234567890abcdef should work: there's no need to do password snooping or MAC cloning as some out-of-date information online suggests.  The 'complex configuration' existed before the Ofcom ruling: it's just how Sky decided to implement authentication in their early days as an ISP.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Settings to configure alternative router to work with Sky Fibre / DHCP Option 61

@DanielUK2 

It's not particularly complicated as long as the router can present MER (DHCP Option 61) rather than PPPoA/PPPoE.  Username: abcdefgh@skydsl Password: 1234567890abcdef should work: there's no need to do password snooping or MAC cloning as some out-of-date information online suggests.  The 'complex configuration' existed before the Ofcom ruling: it's just how Sky decided to implement authentication in their early days as an ISP.

DanielUK2
Topic Author
This message was authored by DanielUK2 This message was authored by: DanielUK2

@TimmyBGood you are right and that works. Is the choice of username/password totally irrelevant and just need to be in the right format?

Are there any other settings required to ensure an optimal connection?

Why Sky doesn't officially publich any guidance on the required configuration?

Running a test with a MySky app, there is a warning that advertises the speed is only 67Mb/s (vs 79Mb/s with the Sky modem/router). However Speedtest gives exactly the same result of 74Mb/s.

Many thanks

This message was authored by brodycorn This message was authored by: brodycorn

I'd b really grateful if you could recommend any routers that support the DHCP options. I just cancelled a delivery of a router after suspecting it didn't have the functionality. It's been hard to find out for myself, and all I can see online is a short list of Netgear routers with the support. I'd like to know all of my options, particularly if any mesh systems exist that support them.

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

The original thinking behind using DHCP Option 61 was to have an option to stop 3rd party routers being used because the router's MAC address would be used for primary authentication on Sky's network

In the end it was never an issue.

Has anyone has any luck with routers that work?

Im happy with the speed and Sky as a whole but now have more devices inc smart home devices than the router can handle and after a while the DHCP just gives up.

Any suggested router replacements?

This message was authored by Wicket This message was authored by: Wicket

Unifi Dream Machine works and supports DHCP 61 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Watson+-+PC most Netgear and TP-Link units are reported to support Sky VDSL out of the box. Asus units require flashing with the alternate Merlin firmware. Difficult to recommend specific models as so much depends on what you need and your budget. Buy a combined modem router if posdible or budget an extra £75 for a standalone DSL modem.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Hasselblad100 This message was authored by: Hasselblad100

@TimmyBGood 

So, my Netgear Orbi is looking for a Client Identifier String on Option 61. I assume I just enter the username|password that you have listed below?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Hasselblad100 

Those are typically the ones used, but I don't know what the format would be.

This message was authored by Hx768vx This message was authored by: Hx768vx

If any help I've had a cisco 1921 running for about 2 years on SkyVDSL (Cisco 1921 ISR with ADSL/VDSL EHWIC), recently repalced with a Cisco 4321 ISR ( IOS XE ) with a ADSL/VDSL NIM.

I've got the gist of setting these things up now and sacking off the sky hardware entirely!

Setting up the option 61 isn't too hard at all once you've got the virtual interface set up 🙂

Tap me up with where you get stuck, spread the love and sack off the sky hardware!

This message was authored by Oliverh14 This message was authored by: Oliverh14

Hi - I'm trying (and failing ) to replace my sky fibre modem/router (sr203) with a netgear nighthawk ac1900.  To improve my wife reach around the house.  BUT it won't connect to the internet - I'm assuming settings are wrong?  I've disregarded my sky router and plugged the nighthawk in  in its place.   I'm using the automated internet setup - but it doesn't connect - the orange light on the router stays in and no internet connection.   I've looked at all of the settings - but my lack of knowledge in this field is restricting me!! 

The nighthawk says it's a Vdsl/adsl

modem/router - so it should work...

You'll see I have very little idea what to do - so if anyone can help, please keep answers simple!  

Thanks in advance.

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Oliverh14 

Have a look at this post, from page 2

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Netgear-D7000-No-DSL/td-p/3676429/page/2
looks like another user was using the same device & got it working 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by BrianGJSteer This message was authored by: BrianGJSteer

I use a TP-Link VR2100 and that replaces the SR203 I had from Sky as their DNS server was always problematic, I now use Google, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I still have DHCP errors so I think that has to be the Sky servers that are at the root of the problem. I also have a TP-Link Deco M9 for Wi-Fi around the house and garden which has been much better than the limited functionality of the one Sky booster I have. See this link for configuration: -

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1774071

What made me change the router was that Sky are always spouting the mantra, 'Too many devices', that was causing my connection problem, whereas they totally fail to understand with the IoT that is now becoming commonplace they need to move with the times. I have 40+ devices, of which I usually have 20-30 devices active at any one time, and their inane comment of a limit of 15 devices or so, is just a joke. 

If Sky engineers read this, please think that you really do need to move with the times. Create a GOOD Wi-Fi 6 router that also integrates a mesh system like the TP-Link Deco or Linksys systems, that people actually want that can handle for now at least a few hundred devices and you would be on a winner. Sky appear to say they are market leaders and to some degree I agree, but they have let themselves down with their router and wi-fi repeaters.

Make these devices market leaders and open to customers using their own routers, but if your kit has the best specs, your kit will be chosen over the competition.

This message was authored by TimeaW This message was authored by: TimeaW

I'm having the same problem with my TP Link Archer AX50. 

I've tried the standard username and password that is mentioned. Still doesnt connect. I've spoken to TP LInk support and they say I also need a special VLAN ID (provided by sky) ?  

My next text will be to clone the MAC address of the SKy Hub and see if that helps. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion