Discussion topic: Settings to configure alternative router to work with Sky Fibre / DHCP Option 61

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Sky-JRD This message was authored by: Sky-JRD

Re: Settings to configure alternative router to work with Sky Fibre / DHCP Option 61

@TimmyBGood 

Ha Ha, think you may mean CCIE. I used to run a C803 on ISDN for a few years with Demon Internet before we got ADSL here (2006). Then a C837. I always found the Dialer and virtual interfaces unnecessarily complicated to setup. Still struggling now, clearly 🤷‍♂️

This message was authored by Watson+-+PC This message was authored by: Watson+-+PC

Re: Settings to configure alternative router to work with Sky Fibre / DHCP Option 61

Only CCNA level??

This message was authored by Sky-JRD This message was authored by: Sky-JRD

@Watson+-+PC 

Nothing wrong with CCNA, every CCIE had to start somewhere 👍

This message was authored by BrianGJSteer This message was authored by: BrianGJSteer

My notes that I followed with a TP-Link Vr2100 are: -

1. Plug in your TP-Link to a power supply and connect the grey DSL cable to the corresponding port on the back of your router. 2. Connect the other end of your DSL cable to the micro-filter that comes with the router and connect it to your phone socket. If you already have a micro-filter, replace it with the new one. 3. Connect the network cable to port 1 on the router, then connect the other end to your laptop. 4. Open a browser window and navigate to http://192.168.1.1.   5. The TP-Link will ask you to set an admin password – make sure you use something secure, as Password123 ain’t gonna cut it! 6. Once in, the TP-Link setup wizard will start:     Input your location and time zone. Click Next.     Select Sky(MER)_VDSL from the ISP list. Make sure it’s this one, as this is Sky fibre. The other Sky option in the list is for Sky Broadband and will not work for fibre connections.     Internet connection type     In the username field, enter abcdefgh@skydsl     In the password field, enter 1234567890abcdef     Click Next, then set up your wireless network how you see fit. SSID   Password     In my case  set   I am using a wired connection, but after a reset and start from scratch, I set Using Wifi Connection The TP-Link will then test the Internet connection and you should see a success message. If you do not, wait for the DSL light to stop flashing and try again – it should work just fine. 7. That’s it! You’re now connected to Sky fibre via your new TP-Link router.   Advanced, system tools, backup     Advanced, Wireless, Switched off Smart Connect to split 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, rename 5GHz band and Save

It works fine for me, and I prefer it to the SR203 I was sent, and the earlier ER110

This message was authored by stevieb3 This message was authored by: stevieb3

Hi, 

I have a UDM Pro, and can't seem to get it to connect, could you possibly let me know how you configured your WAN?

Much Appreciated 👍🏻

This message was authored by BrianGJSteer This message was authored by: BrianGJSteer

Looking up on the web for what a UDM Pro is, I found it was a switch, not a router, so of no use to connect to the VDSL Sky connection. If that is what you have then you need to find a VDSL router such as the TP-Link VR2100 I use. Then that would connect to your UDM Pro and the rest of your network, from my basic understanding.  If I not mistaken, it is an Ubiquiti UDM-Pro UniFi Dream Machine Pro 8 Port Gigabit Switch.

Hi Brian, 

Thanks for your reply, but I think you're mistaken. It is definitely a router and as I previously said, has been working as such when BT was my ISP. 

Does it have the options in its settings for Sky MER VDSL? You need to ensure your router supports DHCP option 61 as Sky require the router to action the authentication, not the modem. My TP-Link router comes with those options built in, so I just chose that option. There may well be other routers with that option, I think the TP-Link VR2800 may have that option, as someone else on this thread says they use that, but whether your device has that option you will need to search the options as you are setting it up.

I am now asking stupid questions, but are you saying you have the Ubiquiti UDM-Pro Dream Machine? When using BT, did you have to connect it to another unit that was actually connected to the VDSL/telephone line into your house? Especially if you were previously using BT which used Openreach to provide the connection, as I had an Openreach box for one of the first Sky FTTC broadband systems. Thus the Sky router I was then using wasn't capable of handling the VDSL connection which the ER110/ER115/SR203 can. Sorry to be so dim, but I thought I should check. 

Hi, nothing about MER VDSL, but it does have option 61, which I believe is the same thing. Yes I have the UniFi Dream Machine Pro (UDM Pro for short), I'm FTTP here, and my UDM Pro has always been just wired straight into the Optical Network Terminal (ONT), nothing else in between and worked fine previously.

I have just checked on the Ubiquiti site, https://eu.store.ui.com/search?mockup=vdsl+router&q=vdsl+router* searching for VDSL router and it came up with zero results. Routers yes, but I don't know if they could handle the Sky connection as with no results for VDSL, they may not be at all suitable and only capable of handling non VDSL, basic ADSL+ connections.

Only sorry I wasn't able to help. Just checking the default username and password are: -

In the username field, enter abcdefgh@skydsl In the password field, enter 1234567890abcdef

This message was authored by Matt1408 This message was authored by: Matt1408

Hi guys,

I hope someone can provide help as I feel like I've been going around in circles...

I have sky fibre FTTC

I have a UDM Pro as my router, connected to a Dreytech Vigor 130 as my modem.

I have enabled "MPoA/Static Dynamic IP" on the modem to get it into bridge mode.

On the router I have set DHCP Client Options (in WAN Settings) to option 61 with the value "abcdefgh@skydsl|1234567890abcdef"

As far as I have read/understood this should now just work with the UDM Pro acting as the dchp control for my network, however the UDM Pro does not seem to be getting an IP address from Sky.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Hi. I want to order and use the Zyxel Armor G5 instead of the Sky router on my fttp ultrafast connection.  I've seen about DHCP 61 and don't have a clue what all this means. Will the Zyxel automatically detect these settings during set up? 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Anonymous 

Unfortunately, the Zyxel Armor G5 does not support DHCP Option 61 and is not suitable for replacing the Sky router for an FTTP connection from the contents of the manual I've just read.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Thanks so much, @mae-3 for taking the time to look into that for me. Really appreciated 🙂

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion