Discussion topic: Internet keeps dropping out

This message was authored by Nigevilla This message was authored by: Nigevilla

Re: Internet keeps dropping out

I have open reach coming out this week 

dropping out 2/3 times daily ,let's hope it gets sorted 

This message was authored by Gamingtoad This message was authored by: Gamingtoad

Hi, so I have been with Sky for over 13 years, I work from home, as dies my better half. Our broadband is consistently randomly disconnecting, but service checker states all okay. We live in Swanton Morley, and tonight ehrn it again randomly dropped, our family in Swaffham, also list sky broadband at almost exactly the same time. We do not use the sky WiFi as found it appalling and mini boxes did not work, so have ethernet and 3rd party mesh system. Really naffed of with service checker that just flags WiFi issues because we have switched it off! Rang support and got told yo rest, cycle hub despite saying I had done this..but to call them back for a replacement hub if continues..weird that also affecting another sky customer 17 miles away tho...

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gamingtoad  Have you tried to run the broadband test to see if it can find any external faults and let you book an engineer. Run this when the connection drops.

Can you please run the broadband test, this can be done either via the Sky app on mobile data or use the link below.
https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-broadband-diagnostic/sky-broadband-diagnostic

If it finds an external fault it should enable you to book an engineer.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Gamingtoad This message was authored by: Gamingtoad

Hi as said tried the tests but no faults identified, then last night tried to run tests for 3 hours but system reported unable to run tests. Find it strange that our family in another part of Norfolk are reporting similar issues tho, and at the same time. The broadband checker just seems to focus on WiFi being switched off!

This message was authored by jordanj This message was authored by: jordanj

Internet router keeps going of at 4 times a day.

This message was authored by mrmojo This message was authored by: mrmojo

Same here

Internet keeps dropping in and out and yesterday it was off all day, when i came home i changed the microfilter and it started to work, dropped out again five minutes ago, unplugged the microfilter and plugged it back in again and then switched off router and on again  and now Internet is working again.

On Sunday it dropped out 6 times within about 10 minutes, i guess this is what you get for cheap internet.  

Gonna be going back to BT once my contract finishes  never had this problem when i was with BT.

I guess it serves me right for being a cheapskate.

This message was authored by Kelthammer This message was authored by: Kelthammer

There are only two suppliers of broadband really BT and Virgin.

No one else puts in the copper or fibre and supplies the UK wide backbone connectivity. So no matter who you go to (TalkTalk etc) it's one or those two. Some fibre betweeen the house and the exchange might be one of the other companies like BeFibre or City Fibre but then its back on to BT core network for the connectivity; they buy capacity or service from BT or Virgin.

I have recieved a new router, but still get the random drop outs particularly 7.30pm time at weekends, and so does our extended family 19 miles away who are also on Sky. Also check via fast.com ref broadband speeds and when it is dropping out the speed reported drops to around 20- 28mb versus what the sky test states of 58mps at the same time..the sky support use the fast.com site to test speed. Bit confused when Sky claim to check speeds and guarantees speeds of 37mbs  but the numbers don't match! There are others in Norfolk also reporting similar issues and similar reset router/ then replace router..been with Sky for long time overall and fully aware that open reach run and maintain the network - but my contract is with Sky who are taking the money!

This message was authored by Kelthammer This message was authored by: Kelthammer

@Gamingtoad Hi have you tried this site (ThinkBroadband) to verify speed and performance. Its free they just use the stats you collect.

I set it up to look at my XboX WAN address and ran it continuously for several days I set up a second looking at the router wan interface. The speed test give an instant look the other monitors will profile what the response from your device looks like to them latency/drop out etc. Proved useful for me dealing with Sky.

This message was authored by TaraLou This message was authored by: TaraLou

Internet keeps dropping out for 2 weeks now sky app says no issues but it's becoming very frustrating and have to keep re setting the hub. 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TaraLou  Do you run the broadband test before resettting the hub or after?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

hi @TaraLou and @Highlinder 

The thing to remember is that the Sky test is a point in time and if you can run the test it will 90%+ of the time will return a good result.

Now if you want to collect evidence that there are issue over a period of time you need to use something like the toolset at ThinkBroadband. It is fairly easy, there are two very important tests to run: the first is the speed test as this is independent of Sky's test and will give you a better real result.

The other is a little more technical, which is the Broadband Monitor, you need to find the WAN (IPV4) address of your router and set up a (free) monitor here; which you can run over hours/day/weeks and see what is happening. This is one I ran in Feb what you are looking for will appear as RED.

This message was authored by BetLid This message was authored by: BetLid

I'm sick and tired of the internet dropping.

I've tried the checkers which say everything is fine also my boyfriend has been using tracert to see how many jumps there are to the simplest of sites like google and this is the reading

1       1 ms        1 ms       1 ms         000000000000000000000
2      *               *               *                Request timed out.
3    22 ms      22 ms    25 ms       2a02:c7a:4:ffff::316
4    21 ms      29 ms    34 ms      2001:4860:1:1:0:15e7:0:c
5     *               28 ms    24 ms      2a00:1450:8166::1
6    15 ms      21 ms     26 ms      2001:    4860:0:1::54d2
7    25 ms      22 ms    26 ms      2001:4860:0:1100::10
8    27 ms      33 ms    14 ms      2001:4860::c:4002:aff8
9    23 ms      27 ms    29 ms     2001:4860::9:4001:2716
10  24 ms      22 ms    34 ms     2001:4860::1c:4001:1ad7
11   43 ms      26 ms    24 ms     2001:4860:0:1::2101
12   22 ms      29 ms    27 ms     lhr48s30-in-x0e.1e100.net [2a00:1450:4009:823::200e]

Trace complete.

This is a very good reading usually you see at least 3 relays down completly

decided we are gonna swap providers

Hi @BetLid 

Trying not to teach you to suck eggs so apologies for techy detail:

The first set of "*" responses may be due to settings on that device not replying to ping requests as if it was down all the following entries would be blank i.e. "*" with no information.

Also all the IPV6 addresses starting "2001:4860:......" belong to Google; so you actually hit Google's network on the 4th hop "4    21 ms      29 ms    34 ms      2001:4860:1:1:0:15e7:0:c". So the response times are pretty good. Bear in mind the average time to reach stuff in the continetal US is probably about 80 to 100 ms.

This message was authored by Dellb0y This message was authored by: Dellb0y

Internet has dropped off at least once a day for last month. Sometimes 10 times on/off in an hour. Mid work meeting, half way through movies, smart devices unable to work. Whenever it drops I run diagnostics and says no issues - even though there is no interent to the hub and it's light is off or orange. Router stats here 

Dellb0y_0-1678398180253.png

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion