Discussion topic: Internet keeps dropping out

This message was authored by CJM1231 This message was authored by: CJM1231

Re: Internet keeps dropping out

Hi @jamesn123 

Yeah i was checking it last night and forcing it to drop out but it doesnt show on the stats. This is probably because it is only dropping out on my PC speciffically.

As for my connections my desktop is ethernet connected to the wall but other devices in the house suffer with the same problem and are wifi.

This message was authored by Kelthammer This message was authored by: Kelthammer

@cjm1231, @jamesn123 

I've had similar experiences with random drop outs and found a solution for me.

I have Sky Router, Sky Q main and a Sky Q multi-room. A little appreciated fact all three devices are WiFi Access Points.

What you seem to be seeing is your local devices (i.e. laptop, desktop etc) dropping connections. It might simply be they are hunting for the strongest WiFi signal. Your router stats show a WAN uptime over 62 hours and a LAN uptime of 93 hours; so the problem isn't the router or WAN.

Now my solution was to hardwire the main Sky Q box to the router; that automatically stops it being an Access Point. Other part of the solution, for me, was to hardwire the games console and other stuff in an office to a network switch and hardwire that switch to the router.

Only issue I now see is regular drop (very short, but enough to drop connections to games servers) just after mid-night (UK) which I suspect is related to something outside my property e.g. BT/OpenReach/Sky testing their network kit.

Hope that helps

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CJM1231 

Could do with seeing the router logs next time it drops out on your PC because it doesnt make much sense that ethernet is dropping out. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@jamesn123 i will get the router logs later tonight and try and force it to drop out again to capture the data.

@Kelthammer i believe the house has a main skyQ tv box and 4 mini boxes located in various rooms around the house. I will investigate the main skyQ box tonight and see if i am able to hard wire it to the router. However this doesnt seem to make sence as the device the drop outs are occuring on is wired into the wall and doesnt use wifi.

This message was authored by Kelthammer This message was authored by: Kelthammer

@CJM1231 You say hardwired into the wall? Is that directly connected to your router or through a network switch?

Trying to establish the physical connectivity between your desktop pc and the router. There are known issues with BB routers and network switches.

@Kelthammer wrote:

@CJM1231 You say hardwired into the wall? Is that directly connected to your router or through a network switch?

Trying to establish the physical connectivity between your desktop pc and the router. There are known issues with BB routers and network switches.

Agree with this, direct to the router needs to be tried to rule out other failures. Try a different ethernet cable too. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@jamesn123 @Kelthammer , it is not directally connected to the router itself but a ethernet port in the wall, not sure if this is the switch you are talking about? I did try 3 different ethernet cables over the years and brought a high qualty one (the one i currently use) to try and fix the issue.  I will try and use one of the old ones again and wire directally into the router and conduct the same tests later today.

Will update once i have results.

@jamesn123 

@CJM1231 Ok hopefully the diagram comes through...

Option 1 connected through WiFi (not your connection configuration!)

Option 2 directly wired to the router ethernet port

Option 3 desktop connects to a network switch which uplinks to the router ethernet port.

In your case, you say you connect to an ethernet socket on the wall? How is that socket connected to the BB router?

is it directly wired?

does it go through some household wiring infrastructure\/ which could include a network switch feeding other ethernet sockets in the building?

Kelthammer_0-1694083404159.png

@Kelthammer The 3rd diagram is correct, there are multiple wall sockets in the house where ethernet cables can be connected into, so i would say it is a switch board system.

If they are known to be faulty i will test the direct wiring and see how the connection is.

Also, would it be possible to plug the ethernet into one of the Sky Mini boxes and have this act as a local router? not sure if this would also be an option.

@CJM1231 wrote:

Also, would it be possible to plug the ethernet into one of the Sky Mini boxes and have this act as a local router? not sure if this would also be an option.

Possible? Yes

Recommended? No

Because your then bound by the quality of the WiFi connection coming to the mini box

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@CJM1231 Sorry but if you plug into the mini box it will disable its WiFi so it will not connect to the router or the main sky box.

@Kelthammer @jamesn123 

Update from testing tonight:

i am not able to wire directally into the router due to location of it so i tried to use some old TP Links, which also did not connect properly. I then messed around with some of the ethernet settings after doing further research and turned off things like power saving ethernet and low power modes. Initially this did not work but after restarting my PC and moving the sky Q box plug into another socket (originally was located next to the router pulg) i was able to stay on the internet for 2+ hours with no drop outs. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days just to make sure this has actually worked...

Is this something that you know can cause this (low power mode settings under ethernet advanced options)?

@CJM1231 @jamesn123 

Ok again for clarity these TP links are they physical ethernet or are they WiFi extenders?

@Kelthammer @jamesn123 

The TP Links are two small boxes, one connects into your router through ethernet and then the other connects into the PC also via ethernet. When paired through the house electrics they form a ethernet connection without having to run a wire from one side of the house to the other. As said though i didnt manage to get them to work so im currently still using the direct wall plug in (switch board) for the ethernet connection. Only changes made was the as mentioned power settings and moving the plug for the main SkyQ box to another socket.

@CJM1231 @jamesn123 

Do you have model numbers please? There are issues but different for differing models

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion