Discussion topic: Internet keeps dropping out

This message was authored by CMelbourne This message was authored by: CMelbourne

Internet keeps dropping out

My internet has been dropping out continuously over the last week, which is very frustrating. I am back at work now and trying to work from home and connection issues are maknig this very difficult. When i go on my app it says there are local outages but no further information and i have recieved no communication directly from Sky about this. What is going on?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Internet keeps dropping out

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CMelbourne 

Are you able to post your router stats at the minute

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Aully This message was authored by: Aully

I hope you don't mind me piggy backing off this post but I'm experiencing the same issue. It's been happening since Christmas. At first I put it down to the usual high traffic at that time of year however it is continuing.  Router stats below. Any ideas?  C56FD2A5-2FC4-4ED8-9F60-2CAFB10C98E7.png

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Aully 

Your stats dont indicate a drop for 150 hours so its likely down to local WiFi conditions. Have you tried changing the WiFi channel?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@jamesn123  unfortunately its not just the WiFi it's Ethernet connection as well.  That's strange as it's happened at least three times in the last two hours across various devices connected via WiFi and Ethernet. 

@Aully 

How many devices are connected?

What ethernet devices drop off?

How are those ethernet devices connected? Through a booster? Powerline adapters? Switch? Direct to the router? 

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@jamesn123 there are two Ethernet connections via a power line router. All the other devices (10 of them) are connected via WiFi. As mentioned it's both Ethernet and WiFi that drop at the same time. At first I did think it might be an issue with the powerline but not sure as the problem is also with the wifi. 

This message was authored by Aneta This message was authored by: Aneta

I hope you don't mind me pinning it too, but I have a similar issue. Please find my stats:

Router Statistics
System Up Time: 24:21:11
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 221813808 326011910 0 2036953 28878033 24:19:56 LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00 WLAN Up 325855846 222193380 0 29598888 1938831 24:20:36
Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed (Kbps) 61647 12298 Line Attenuation (dB) DS1:10.6    DS2:25.8    DS3:35.9 US0:6.0    US1:21.6    US2:32.0 Noise Margin (dB) DS1:3.3    DS2:3.3    DS3:3.3 US0:7.0    US1:6.5    US2:6.4
Poll Interval:
Seconds (at least 3s): 
I have eight devices connected to WIFI which are only 5 in use. My router is seven years old. I have reported to Sky that my internet is dropping significantly in the evening. The technician informed me that slow internet is due to the amount of the device connected, so I have disconnected 4 of them, and the downloading speed was even slower. It is a disaster as we are in self-isolation, and I need to work from home and entertain a six-year-old boy.

I have requested a new hub as I should have a super-fast package, but it is not.

Please, could anyone help?

Thank you in advance:
Aneta 

@Aully 

Hard to say theres any other fault looking at your router stats. Ideally you'd need to capture a drop occuring while connected directly via ethernet, not via the powerline adapters

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@Aneta 

Your stats show no connection drops and your speed is good.

What the support agent is telling you is sort of correct. Bascially the amount of devices around you using WiFi is a factor but it may not be specifically your devices. E.g. your neighbours usage on their router can massively intefere with the speed of your WiFi. 

Ideally you need to use ethernet were possible. You can also look at this guide on how to improve WiFi. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by PedroBandito77 This message was authored by: PedroBandito77

Im having issues with it dropping out as well, does the "gibberish" below mean anything to anyone?

PedroBandito77_0-1662733685022.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@PedroBandito77 

Can you "run tests" on your my sky app or sky.com account and post the info in "more about your connection"

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Gary+B-R This message was authored by: Gary+B-R

I have the same problem for months.

have had Openreach engineer out checking everything and still happened.

Then had Sky engineer come yesterday who replaced router and all cabling/socket. Dropped again yesterday and today.

Absolutely useless!

Only solution as far as I can see is to leave Sky for someone else unfortunately!

This message was authored by CrystalCal This message was authored by: CrystalCal

Hello.

So my issue is that for the last couple of weeks my internet has been dropping.
It can be fine for ages then Bam! it goes into a habit of dropping off and on. 
Last night in the space of about 1 hour it cut 10 times. 
This morning, less than 5 minutes after logging on, it cut off twice.. 6:55am and 6:59am
What the heck is going on? It's every day lately. 

My router stats :

Thank you for any help offered ROUTER STATS 23 09 22.png

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@CrystalCal Can you please run the broadband test, this can be done either via the Sky app on mobile data or use the link below.
https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-broadband-diagnostic/sky-broadband-diagnostic

If it finds an external fault it should enable you to book an engineer.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion