Discussion topic: Internet keeps dropping out

This message was authored by Gamingtoad This message was authored by: Gamingtoad

Re: Internet keeps dropping out

Due in part to thos issue and the significant announced price hike, I am terminating broadband and talk with sky, they did try to explain that they offer a speed guarantee,  at which point i discussed how in the real world this was a rather empty promise..really shocked at recent hike, and kick of interest in keeping customers, but hey, their loss, and thanks to Ofcom, their greed, I can leave early!

This message was authored by mrmojo This message was authored by: mrmojo

llRe: Internet keeps dropping out

Hi All

Though we had it all fixed. Engineer came out and basically blamed it on the connection just inside the door   which he sorted, but i told him that it had been like that  ever sinced we moved in 3yrs and whilst we used  with  we had no drop outs or speed issues whtsoever, then once i changed to sky, then all the problems began,  up until tonight  the broadband has been working peferctly and acheiving speeds of 36mb which is what we pay, and tonight it's between 3 - 5mb   just did a speed and got up 7mb   but we should be getting 36mb  absolute crap,  so now i've gotta waste my time ringing them up again  and all you get is a load of bla bla bla    not impressed.

This message was authored by jeremy+sawyer This message was authored by: jeremy+sawyer

I agree , sky  had my upgrade to the top broadband package and its   worce  at playing online  then when I was on basic broadband. Im so angry at sky im 25 years with them and I am done

This message was authored by Dhitt This message was authored by: Dhitt

Hello. I wonder if someone can help me. My sky bb drop la every day at the same time. Goes off for 20 mins and then comes back on and works fine. An openreach engineer has been out, tested the line and it's all good. He said it was an sky issue. This morning the line has gone again. I've called sky and yet again they are sending an wipe reach engineer. It's a blame game. To be fair the line does look fine. The correct lights are on the wall box. 

how can I get this issue fixed? 

This message was authored by TalieJ This message was authored by: TalieJ

I changed my contract 10 days ago and ever since my wifi connection drops numerous times a day - notably at work. Can't watch anything on demand as it is constantly buffering or just stops. Damn annoying!

every time you try the service checker it's all fine - and then drops minutes after!

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TalieJ  Rather than running the service checker to see if everything is okay run the broadband test.

Can you please run the broadband test, this can be done either via the Sky app on mobile data or use the link below.
https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-broadband-diagnostic/sky-broadband-diagnostic

If it finds an external fault it should enable you to book an engineer.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Hi - I've done all that, have also removed all wires and put back again... service drops at least 10x a day. Barely make it thru streaming a tv show, wfh is really difficult.

just really annoying now. Have been thru the sky site and just get articles that don't really address anything - hard to get to anyone to speak to.

This message was authored by Kelthammer This message was authored by: Kelthammer

Hi @TalieJ 

Ok the broadband checker is no use in finding drop outs; it will simply tell you if the line is up and its performance. The checker is a single check at a moment in time so unlesss you are really lucky, 99.9% of the time the line will report up

Have you tried using something like Thinkbroadbands free checker? This can monitor the connection to your router or other devices over a period of time. It is not run by Sky or BT/OpenReach so it is independent and will report what it can see. This is an example from my line notice the red spike at the top near 10.00am that was a dropout for a couple of minutes.

Kelthammer_2-1690886903854.png

I wasn't aware of that - thanks. Will certainly give it a try!

This message was authored by Kelthammer This message was authored by: Kelthammer

@TalieJ 

Quick update did a monitor of my XBox connection overnight, screenshot below. Just for info; I run the XBox on IPv6, but your connection should look something like this, the Yellow spikes would be seen as short loading stutters (the spinning wheel) but no outages. Unless you see large blocks of red coming down from the top which indicate packets lost.

Kelthammer_0-1691138855873.png

This message was authored by CJM1231 This message was authored by: CJM1231

Hi, like many others my internet has been contiously dropping out for the past 2 years. It seems to occur at a somewhat random time each day, kicking all devices off the internet for about 10 seconds before reconnecting. This can happen 10-15 times an hour or 1-3 times a day, depending on the day. We have had Openreach and Sky engineers around the house to check and each time they simply brush it off to the location where i live (quite rural). 

I have attempted to catch the drop outs with the broardband connection test but without wifi i cannot test it and thus it says my internet is fine when it comes back on 10 seconds later. I am convinced it is something to do with the telecomms line at this point. i have noticed a pattern of more drop outs when i load up more files (use more wifi) or try to connect to a large online game. It is almost like my router cannot handle the internet request and has a mini reboot kicking me off.

Any help will be grealty appreciated, or point me in the direction of an engineer i can speak too.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @CJM1231 

Can you please post your router stats

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Gamingtoad This message was authored by: Gamingtoad

Just a final update, we moved to another provider which took the intermittent sky 37mb upto steady 70mb with no drop outs, in a rural village.

This message was authored by CJM1231 This message was authored by: CJM1231

Hi @jamesn123 

Here are the router stats:

CJM1231_0-1694017201337.png

I have done some more investigating on the random drop outs and have discovered they are divice specific disconnections. When using my desktop and a drop out occurs i can still use my laptop and the connection is fine. I have also checked all my drivers and reset my network on both devices with no luck of fixing the problem. I also tested using a phone hotspot instead of the wifi and i was able to run large videos and load into online games for an hour no issues or dropouts. Its almost like there is some sort of fire wall blocking specific connections (certain large games, facetimes etc).

Hope this helps.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @CJM1231 

At the time of posting your line hadn't dropped for about 62hrs.

Is your desktop connected via WiFi or ethernet when it drops out?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion