Discussion topic: Internet keeps dropping out

This message was authored by troublejw This message was authored by: troublejw

Re: Internet keeps dropping out

My internet keeps dropping out too!

All checks via the sky app say everything is ok.... but it's not. It drops out for like a minute every 10/15 mins. Very annoying. Been like it for a few days. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@troublejw 

Can you post your hub stats

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

7EA78388-1071-4338-B28C-D035EFE21273.jpeg

Here we go . 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@troublejw 

Could you run tests from your my sky app or sky.com account and post the info in more about your connection

How many times a day does you line drop ie the internet light goes amber

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

It's been dropping out for a minute at a time at a time every 30 mins or so.

All the sky checks say it's ok every time:

buts it's not. It's dropped out as I type this message. 

5C038D72-39EE-4429-B490-6A6D2EBFF662.jpeg

@troublejw 

Looking for the "more about your connection details" it should be below where it says speed to your hub 36Mbps. It will tell us your minimum guaranteed download speed

This one?

B388BDB5-096D-401B-B1E6-EEF02F35AEEA.jpeg

@troublejw 

You are above the guaranteed minimum speed but the number of line drops is worrying

Call sky on 150 from your sky landline or sky mobile or
zero three three three seven five nine one zero one eight from any other phone

Or if in Ireland

Call sky ireland on

Remove all the full stops

Explaining your line is dropping 10+ times a day and ask them to run a line test. Any issues get back to us 

This message was authored by Mistermoon This message was authored by: Mistermoon

I've recently (since 3 days before Christmas) been getting random drop outs where the orange light comes on my box, it can happen at the most inconvenient times, but always between 5 and 630pm like clockwork, I've run skys test my line features on the app which always returns that nothing is wrong. Open reach were mucking around nearby just before this all happened and I do wonder whether they have broken something as my service had been 100% until this point.

Any thoughts?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Mistermoon it is possible the line work you mention caused issues with your line but by no means certain to be linked. Whether Sky can get Openreach back to fix the issue depends on how the system is handling the issue. If you post your hub's connection stats it should alllow forum members to explain whst is going on. See Find your Sky Broadband router statistics

It would help if you included the guaranteed minimum speed for your connection - the MY Sky connection test can tell you that if you click for more information. The cabinet compensates for line drops by increasing the noise margin and lowering speed. Openreach often only intervene when sppeds go below the minimum.

Regular line drops at a certain time are likely to be due to external interference and the most likely source is in your own home - think hard about domething thst might be happening at the same time for example a device like a microwave being used or the heating coming on. 

Report the issue to Sky as they may suggest they change your phone master socket which is a common thing to try if interference is suspected.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Mistermoon This message was authored by: Mistermoon

Hear is all the data required ( i think) having re tested the line this morning i now have this warning that the connection might not be fast enough to my box, it allows me to report this to sky which i have and am awaiting a call from someone. as to the changes in my house, everything has been as it always has, this change and drop out came out of the blue and only as the openreach guys had been in the area. The 14 hour uptime is possibly the longest it has been up in weeks too 🙂

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 09.35.21.pngIMG_2520.PNGIMG_2521.PNG

This message was authored by Kelthammer This message was authored by: Kelthammer

@cookiemonsteruk @CMelbourne You might consider that it is not an issue with your local equipment but an issue beyond the Sky service.

Try looking at this site and create an account its free but will allow you to create a monitor for your broadband running 24/7 to see if there are other issues. There is lots of documentation but the short version is Thinkbroadband send regular pings and anylse the results and then produce a graph for you. I am running one here "https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/daf5f281dfc70b7f0d805e080395c453b9..."

This means they are operating from outside the Sky provided network and will represent a more accurate test than Sky's testing which is using only their own equipment. 

As you can imagine, red is bad; green is good.

But for me the issue the the large ammount of yellow which indicates data being delayed in transit, this could cause retry errors and drop outs due to network devices timing out.

I thought i would just report back in with my issue, sky sent someone from openreach out who found i have a break in the underground cabling, they switched me over to a new line which is now working much better and at full speed again. Thanks for your help guys

This message was authored by SarahC668 This message was authored by: SarahC668

I am suffering the same problem has been happening for the past 4 months, the internet just drops out, orange lights come on the router, happens multiple times a day, just now it's happened 10 times over 30mins, not easy when working from home either!

This message was authored by Hayyel This message was authored by: Hayyel

I've had the same issue I could be playing Xbox and the signal would drop or even watching TV, so I changed my router back to the old sky router and have had no issues what so ever.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion