Discussion topic: OLED TV Screen Burn

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: OLED TV Screen Burn

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Powerpup wrote:

@Annie+UK 

All those features are great, especially Alexa. Now that I am more accustomed to the set's myriad controls it is proving itself quite the maestro! I am still amused that I can have a chat with my telly!

I spent years looking for a UHD TV to take better advantage of my XBox One X, as soon as I saw the NanoCell I knew this was the time to buy

Glad you are having a better time with your LG and its star trek like voice controls 🤓

OLED-User
Topic Author
This message was authored by OLED-User This message was authored by: OLED-User

Dear @Cimbom , you certainly have my sympathy.

Do your homework on the Consumer Protection  Act 2015 and Section 75 of the Finance Act (several dates) which gives further protection if the purchase was funded by a credit card.

Get legal advice (free from the CAB and "Which" etc) and follow through on it if you decide it's worth the time, trouble and stress.

Give the shop an opportunity to put things right. Be nice to them: as individuals they are there to help you.

Let us know how you get on if not subjected to a Non Disclosure Agreement.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

This message was authored by Cimbom This message was authored by: Cimbom

Hi Powerpup,

I bought the tv late November 2017 from John Lewis that came with their 5 year extended warranty using a credit card.  No static picture at any time. Blue/green taint appears to coincide with the rolling Sky News ticker. There has been other prolonged occasions of watching news channels but the last drop may well have been Brexit + Boris effect!

Ironically I work for Sky and design power electronics for set top boxes, yet I had no warning from any body I work with about how severe this shortcoming of OLED TV technology is. I will have a lot of expert opinion on the subject and will be raising the issue within Sky.

After all,  Sky News is a national tv news channel, image is continuously moving(rolling) with letters, programme is interrupted with adverts, yet I have a burn in issue on a £1400 tv after 18 months. At no time the picture was frozen as it would be very unusual whilst watching news, picture mode was set to Eco, why did my screen burn in? I think in simple terms, OLED TVs are not fit for purpose! They are displays suitable for motion pictures but not fit for displaying news channels or any channel with a fixed logo or sports/football match score in any bright colour.

@Powerpup 

How do I get a blank red background? My taint is most noticable on white, yellow or green background... I like watching football and noticed the pitch was different shades then realised it was not the pitch but my screen!

Dear @ OLED-User,

Thank you. I suspect the numbers of claims may well be avalanching as John Lewis man I spoke to said the verdict of the engineer coming out to visit tomorrow would be final!

I had to tell him my profession and employment  hence nothing would be final unless they understand my point of view that the TV is not fit for watching all channels and start from there. After all the tv is not dead but definitle not worth the money paid if it can not display a clean picture. I think the pressure should be placed on LG by the reslae outfits and not on the consumer.

OLED-User
Topic Author

Hi @Cimbom,

For Red sceen images google "Images for oled test patterns". You could use the TV browser to display them. You might also download them to a USB drive.

Remember, the Law is there to help you with respect of your purchase of the TV. That contract was with the seller,, not any broadcaster.

You might well  need expert advice. A qualified TV engineer or calibrator would be able to inspect your TV and provide an independent report.

Forums like this can be useful but do get, and follow, PROPER legal advice to lead you through the process. Don't follow your gut feeling and make a move that might adversly affect the outcome.

Best Wishes.

OLED-User
Topic Author

Hey @Cimbom ,

You're techy and work for Sky. Yay!

Can you help me (and others) with an issue on the Sky-Q box firmware?

The boxes always convert to whatever resolution you set them up for. If you set the box up to support 4k, a broadcast is SD and 4:3 it gets passed to the TV as a badly upscaled 4k image with the WRONG ASPECT RATIO..

It takes 30 button presses to set the Sky box to 576i. Only 1080i has a quick setting option (seven key presses Home, 1 0 8 0 Home, exit)

We want the box to have the option to output as is - lile the old Sky+ HD boxes did.

I wrote (on paper even) to your development guys but didn't even get an acknowledgement.

Some new TVs use AI to upscale but the Sky-Q box usually preempts them.

KInd Regards

Dear @OLED-User,

I will definitely pass on your question relating to the unwanted upscaling in Sky Q to those who might know better. I am involved only with power electronics design. 

On the burn in, I will simply wait the verdict of "the engineer" being sent by John  Lewis and decide on what action to take afterwards. However, my verdict on the unsuitability of OLED tvs to certain channels or broadcasts will not change easily.  There is no misuse, there was no forewarning about news channels. In fact, I would love to know what happens to OLED sales, if they stated in their sales literature that News channels and also sports/football exposure should be restricted???

Best regards.

OLED-User
Topic Author

Dear @Cimbom,

Thanks for any help with the upscaling behaviour of the Sky-Q box.

The more research you do, the more facts about OLED ageing you will find. They will help to justify your opinion.

What is crucial is to demonstrate that this information was witheld from you when you purchased theTV.

If it was witheld and if a "reasonable person" would not have made the purchase knowing all the facts, then the TV was missold. That is where the Law can help you.

I actually feel sorry for the retailers because I truly beleive they were ignorant of OLED's fragility. Of course they should all know by now.

Anyway, do take proper legal advice - slowly, slowly catchie monkey.

Best Wishes

Dear @OLED-User 

Thank you for the advice.

We all know there was and there still is no warning relating to burn in issue from normal use.  I think it is time that consumers are given a more categoric warning. OLEDs suffer from screen burn and are not fit for prolonged use to watch a large number of national channels.

I will let the forum know about my progress.

Best wishes.

This message was authored by Alistair+Niederer This message was authored by: Alistair+Niederer

Having replaced my screen twice so far due to premature screen burn caused by Sky News banner - I doubt  the OLED screen technology will change dramatically in the short term.

My view - Sky needs to accept their yellow rolling banner is the problem and it should be static - move it through perhaps 3 positions and use white as well as yellow perhaps.

My next screen will not be OLED! and even though in every other way this is annoying. Sky - you can mitigate as suggested.

Needle

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Alistair+Niederer wrote:

Having replaced my screen twice so far due to premature screen burn caused by Sky News banner - I doubt  the OLED screen technology will change dramatically in the short term.

My view - Sky needs to accept their yellow rolling banner is the problem and it should be static - move it through perhaps 3 positions and use white as well as yellow perhaps.

My next screen will not be OLED! and even though in every other way this is annoying. Sky - you can mitigate as suggested

That sounds to me like the tail wagging the dog. If OLED screens can't accommodate standard  broadcasting techniques without suffering permanent damage, they're simply not fit for purpose. It's incumbent on the manufacturer to improve the technology. Or at the very least, make it transparently clear that their TVs aren't suitable for customers wishing to watch channels that show static images. Burying a warning in the instruction manual that people in increasingly don't read, isn't enough.

Edited to correct typo

Is there actually an instruction buried anywhere? I have not seen any warning excpet static images. User can not be expected to conrol logos, score boards or news tickers.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Cimbom wrote:

Is there actually an instruction buried anywhere? I have not seen any warning excpet static images. User can not be expected to conrol logos, score boards or news tickers.

I agree. The only control a user has is not to view any channel which has static components like tickers and that's an unreasonable and unrealistic requirement.

@Powerpup 

Every which way I look at this, OLED technology on offer (from LG) appears to be not fit for purpose.  Hardware not fit, and software is incompetent to cover for the shortcomings of the hardware. Screen should be designed to protect itself irrespective of the source of the picture. There should have been means of detecting static pictures or shapes and interfere with their display to stop retention and also start pixel refresh before a permanent burn in sets. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion