Discussion topic: OLED TV Screen Burn

This message was authored by spursla1 This message was authored by: spursla1

Re: OLED TV Screen Burn

@TimmyBGood 

I keep reading that LG OLED's are fine "for most people's style of viewing" but that just isn't true. 

I will explain once more. I'm now on my second replacement. Yes the original panel could have been left on Sky News for extended periods (Grenfell fire on SN comes to mind), BUT the replacement panel most certainly wasn't, in fact no more than 10/15 mins at a time if something really important was breaking on Sky, I was totally paranoid about screen burn by then. I used the clear noise panel, I used the "dark room" setting as recommended but it STILL burned onto the screen. 

So you can maybe understand when people suggest that we are not viewing channels normally we get a bit miffed. Actually, we are not viewing normally, normal viewers are able to watch anything they want without fear. 

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey everyone, thank you for your contribution to this post!

OLED as a technology suffers from screen burn in general – it’s a trait of the technology unfortunately and I’m not aware of any planned changes to screen designs, such as news chyrons, by any broadcaster.  

It's not something Sky can sensibly control but I'd love to give you some advice:

• A static picture on screen for a prolonged period will increase the probability of screen burn, when possible graphics should be alternated often.
  • Features such as pause, fast forward, rewind and the Red button should be dismissed if not in use or after use. For red button indicators, you can set your box to dismiss the button after 30 secs.
  • The TV the manufacturer will have support on reducing screen burn within their physical help manuals or online. Potentially there are settings on the TV that could be changed or activated that may benefit.

If any users have any recommendations on settings that could be changed on the TV or something that worked for you, share your advice and TV make/model for others to try below.

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

This message was authored by Cimbom This message was authored by: Cimbom

@Chloe-W22  Sky can sensibly control Sky Q such that tv starts at the last channel viewed and not on programming guide!

As to the news ticker, does it have to be yellow banner all the time?

This message was authored by mr.tickle This message was authored by: mr.tickle

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chloe-W22 wrote:

Hey everyone, thank you for your contribution to this post!

OLED as a technology suffers from screen burn in general – it’s a trait of the technology unfortunately and I’m not aware of any planned changes to screen designs, such as news chyrons, by any broadcaster.  

It's not something Sky can sensibly control but I'd love to give you some advice:

• A static picture on screen for a prolonged period will increase the probability of screen burn, when possible graphics should be alternated often.
  • Features such as pause, fast forward, rewind and the Red button should be dismissed if not in use or after use. For red button indicators, you can set your box to dismiss the button after 30 secs.
  • The TV the manufacturer will have support on reducing screen burn within their physical help manuals or online. Potentially there are settings on the TV that could be changed or activated that may benefit.

Thanks for using the unusual word "chyron". Every day is a school day!

The key thing for Sky to take away from this, is that Sky needs to play its part too. Following your own very sensible advice above:

* change the software (all boxes) so that the "pause" icon automatically times out and disappears after 10 seconds. NB : do NOT resume play. I still want it to stay paused.

* change the software (all boxes) so that the screen is dimmed to 10% of the original luminance, if "pause" is active for more than say 2 minutes.

* change the softawre (all boxes) so that the RW/FF icons are smaller, more transparent, lower down, more to the left (not languishing towards the middle of the screen as at present) - right hard tight to the edge of the screen for anyone who has "overscan" turned on.

* change the softawre (all boxes) so that the RW/FF icons time out and dissappear / dim down a lot after 1 minute. The box should continue to do the RW/FF function, but the user knows what he is doing (eg "I am seeking through a 4 hr movie) and doesn't need to see the constant onscreen icon for this to work.

As you admit above - "For red button indicators, you can set your box to dismiss the button after 30 secs". Now it's time for you, Sky, to implement the automatic dismissing of the other icons too please. for the same reasons. (Don't leave it to the user. Belt and braces. They've left the room and accidentally left the TV burning).

--
I do not have a sig other than this message. Sky+HD.
Enjoying HDR with 4k Blu-Ray, Amazon, YouTube and gaming since 2016.

@Cimbom wrote:

As to the news ticker, does it have to be yellow banner all the time?

Anecdotal reports from America indicate that CNN is the worst, as it is fully saturated red.

Something yellow will age the blue/green sub-pixels equally so on the scale of things, is not as bad.

To be clear: I'm not saying it is good. I am saying it is "not as bad".

--

@mr.tickle  Yes I have seen the reports and test results at https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

If tested I would expect equally bad possibly worse results with Sky news as this was my experience....

This message was authored by pas130951 This message was authored by: pas130951

Hello All, I have an LG oled 55C7 bought in 2017 from Currys. As many here have had, I noticed a green band about 2/3 inches from the bottom of the screen; very light but present nonetheless. Its more apparent on red/yellow backgrounds. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago. So given the rtratings review regarding the lg oled burnin issues, I called LG. They immediately told me it wasn't their issue but after a while and me pointing out the reviews, they told me send in images of the issue to a whatsapp number which I did. A couple of days later I called back to be told the issue is known as the 'green haze' and that they would replace the panel for £200. A bargain I thought however they then informed me there were no panels to be had for at least 6/8 weeks and to go back to Currys which I did. Guys from the very first call to Currys I was very pleasantly surprised. It was poles apart from LG. Currys basically told me that they would pick up the set, check it out and have it returned in 5 days. Wow, during lockdown, I thought they were having me on. But I agreed and the telly was picked up on 30/04 and returned fixed - new panel - today 04/04. No charge although I do have the 5 year extended warranty that came with the telly. Just thought I'd share as I know how frustrating it can be. I must however add a caveat, forget trying to contact the helpline. I've been on-hold for more than an hour on multiple calls. I suppose I just lucked it and managed to get through just before they probably shut some lines for obvious reasons given the current circumstances. The only method of checking a repair was via the Trackit site but that is limited in the information it provides. Telly picked up/on its way to the repair cent/being repaired, etc. No real details. Thanks

This message was authored by Really+fed+upQ This message was authored by: Really+fed+upQ

I had my LG OLED since November 2017 and noticed the "sky news burnin" a few days ago, really dissapointed. As our viewing is very varied, Sky News being maybe 10% in a typical day, I agree with previous posts that write this technology is not fit for purpose. The 2017 models were supposed to be imune to burnin but this is another marketing lie. it seems Shame as the picture is as good as I could wish for. 

I've invoked the extended warranty that Crampton and Moore  included with the set, and an engineer is coming to take the set away next week courtesy of D&G who are promissing a replacement set if this one can't be repaired. I would be happy with a free replacement even if it is OLED, however, if I have to pay then nanocell will be considered. Sky News will be banned whichever set I end up with. Shame on Sky for not listening to these complaints and vaying the breaking news banner in some way. Shame on LG for not including some sort of intelligence to dim these sort of images which ultimately wreck their hardware,  

@Really+fed+upQ wrote:

I had my LG OLED since November 2017 and noticed the "sky news burnin" a few days ago, really dissapointed. As our viewing is very varied, Sky News being maybe 10% in a typical day, I agree with previous posts that write this technology is not fit for purpose. The 2017 models were supposed to be imune to burnin but this is another marketing lie. 

No marketing for any OLED has ever said "immune to burn-in". That would, as you say, be a very reckless and obvious lie, so they would not and have not ever said that. It's simply not true to say that LG said it.

You may be mixing up with Samsung, who always try to make a huge thing out of it, because their LED-LCD TVs (now sold branded as "QLED", but they are just LED-LCDs), don't have burn-in. Instead, they have their own issues (ie not delivering "the best picture you could wish for", as you put it, and still not supporting Dolby Vision!).

@Really+fed+upQ wrote:

I would be happy with a free replacement even if it is OLED, however, if I have to pay then nanocell will be considered. 

Good luck mate. Anecdotally, LG are looking very sympathetically on this, and I've read lots of cases where people have had replacement panels, so it's effectively a brand new TV. I think you'll win out on this one.

@Really+fed+upQ wrote:

Shame on Sky for not listening to these complaints and vaying the breaking news banner in some way. Shame on LG for not including some sort of intelligence to dim these sort of images which ultimately wreck their hardware,  

To your second point first, LG did indeed improve things on 2018 and later models for precisely this reason - there is a new feature called "logo luminance adjustment" which tries to spot permanent logos and dims the screen around them, as well as more agressive full-screen dimming in cases of static images. It's not a "magic bullet", nothing ever will be and that is the downside we OLED owners accept in return for the perfect blacks and infinite contrast,, but it helps. However, you bought a 2017 model which does not have these features. I don't think it's right to say LG should be "ashamed" for not adding it until 2018, they are working on this all the time as they are well aware of the drawbacks and always try to find new ways to mitigate them.

On the other point Sky could, and definitely should, do a LOT more to help. simple things like as adding a "screensaver" to both Sky+HD and SkyQ, and timing out their overly bright "pause" icon instead of leaving it up on the screen for ever and ever. All optional features of course, no-one should be forced to have these nice features. If they need a massive icon on the screen to tell them it's paused, they can have it. But give users the choice. Over time I think Sky will be forced into doing those things, so the only mystery is why they are dragging their feet over it.

--
This message was authored by Powerpup This message was authored by: Powerpup

I had a complete refund due to irrepairable screen burn. There were burns all over my screen. I had photos to prove it. Noit just the static banners, but the various logos and areas on the screen where no logos were ever displayed.. Th epanels are obviously weaker in all areas. I would estimate that 40% of my screen had some burn to one degree or another. It was extremely obvious on the news tickers, but the overall picture was visibly affected. I  will never buy another OLED screen until this has been rectified. Nanocell is not as contrasty as OLED, but when a programme is running I only notice the difference with the loss of real blacks when a scene is dark greys and shading, which fortunately is quite rare. hame because the OLED picture is superior, but it only lasts for a year or two!

This message was authored by Really+fed+upQ This message was authored by: Really+fed+upQ

Thanks for correcting me on what was said and wasn't said. I have not kept any of the marketing material form that time so have to take your word for it, but the implication was certainly that burnin was at least an unlikely eventuality  because of the regular automatic short and long pixel refreshes/shifts designed to prevent or correct it. Anyway, it makes little difference now, the problem exists and all I'm guilty of is watching a news channel and have damaged my screen. It should be easy for Sky to sort out their damaging banners. 

If D&G and LG working together supply a new screen than I'm happy, it seems they probably will. I'll update next week after the engineer has tested my panel. 

D&G were no help quoting LG's T&Cs and ignoring the fact that my viewing of Sky News is occasional. I'm talking to LG directly now who are being more helpful and at least trying to work with my. 

This message was authored by pjhaahl This message was authored by: pjhaahl

@Really+fed+upQ

Agree that the likes of Sky could do more.

One very simple thing would be:

Limit on screen display of channel logo's for a maximum of 1 minute into the program.

Make it possible to toggle on screen infographics on and off using one of the coloured buttons on the remote. 

@Really+fed+upQ  You are not wrong. LG and every other tv manufacturer are obliged to guarantee their product is fit for use and is immune from burn in during normal use. LG does as below on their web site!

"OLED Image Retention or Burn-In: Burn-in and image retention are possible on virtually any display. However, with an LG OLED TV, any risk of burn-in or image retention have been addressed through the use of technology that not only helps protect against damage to the screen, but features self-healing properties so that any short-term image retention that may occur is quickly rectified. It is rare for an average TV consumer to create an environment that could result in burn-in. Most cases of burn-in in televisions is a result of static images or on-screen elements displaying on the screen uninterrupted for many hours or days at a time – with brightness typically at peak levels. So, it is possible to create image retention in almost any display if one really tries hard enough. And even if image retention does occur from extreme usage, it can usually be mitigated within a short period of time by turning the display off for a while, and watching a few hours of varying content (such as your standard TV watching and channel-surfing).

So, in short: Reasonable, responsible usage of an OLED TV, combined with powerful image preservation abilities should result in a seamless home entertainment experience."

For this reason, "in short"; any propoganda and rubbish about burn-in being "normal" and is outside warranty must be rejected outright, and such cases must be taken to court if necessary. I will request replacement screen until my OLED tv is 5 years old and therafter never purchase OLED again. QLED is totally different technology and is superior in many aspects; with new ecodesign rules on tv power consumption,

OLED may quite possibly cease to exist soon as use of OLED with high brightness not only leads to burn in, it also makes the tv exceed ecodesign limits for power consumption.

Yes, agreed. There are too many issues with OLED. I've owned two plasma screens in the past which also had the potentail of this issue and they both were in use for many years and neither of them developed this problem. I beleive they were a more resiliant technology. I'll report back once LG have taken my set away and reported back on what they're going to do. I'm waiting for them to arrange collection. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion