Discussion topic: OLED TV Screen Burn

This message was authored by Cimbom This message was authored by: Cimbom

OLED TV Screen Burn : Update

After 4 years and 4 months my LG 55" OLED developed screen burn again and pixel refresher no longer worked. Without too much arguement, John Lewis first agreed on the phone to send service engineers, few days later offered a brand new Samusng QLED replacement or £900. I accepted £900, purchased 55" neo qled  @ £1149, and waiting to claim £200 cash back as part of the deal. Hence I have a significantly better (brighter) picture TV plus five more years of warranty. I think Neo-QLED is a better technology than OLED, also appears to be a clearly fit for purpose TV... so far!

This message was authored by Really+fed+upQ This message was authored by: Really+fed+upQ

Re: OLED TV Screen Burn

I've gone over to the "light" side, QLED for the last year. Having owned an OLED and comparing the two pictures, OLED is a bit better, but nothing really wrong with QLED, not enough to justify changing the TV every 3-4 years and creating unneccessary landfil. If they ever do fix this problem it will be welcome by new buyers in the longrun, but even in 6 years time I'll not be considering replacing my QLED. If Sky had any desire to somehow engineer a solution I'm sure they would have done that by now, but it's not exclusively a Sky problem. I had burn from the GMTV logo, something that was watched for only 30-60 mins a day. 

This message was authored by laurie+atterbury This message was authored by: laurie+atterbury

Have recently gone to Sky Q and was pleased to see OSD much more OLED friendly with very little yellow in the banners etc. Sky HD 's prev OSD did cause much screenburn on my LG OLED, which Costco fully reimbursed me for; I might have been one of the lucky ones it seems.

This message was authored by Shutters62 This message was authored by: Shutters62

Hi, I couldn't agree more. Give viewers an option to turn off the news ticker bar using the red button or something. 

I have a 65" Oled that's got burn mark's. I can not get rid of them. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Shutters62 wrote:

Hi, I couldn't agree more. Give viewers an option to turn off the news ticker bar using the red button or something.

It's part of the broadcast image, like the rest of the picture, so there's no simple way of doing that.

Unless TV manufacturers can modify OLEDs so that they're not susceptible to screen burn, you can only limit the time spent on channels where a static image is part of the picture or avoid them completely.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Shutters62 wrote:

Give viewers an option to turn off the news ticker bar using the red button or something. 

That would require an additional channel with the same studio feed to be broadcast over the satellite link without a chyron.  Given that News channels see that screen layout as part of their basic format, and typically lose money broadcasting a single channel anyway, this is unlikely to happen.  As @Mark39 indicates, OLED is simply not suitable technology for prolonged display of such content, particularly at high brightness for daytime viewing.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by W4yn3001 This message was authored by: W4yn3001

Re: OLED TV Screen Burn By Sky Channels

Hi, Having just read through this thread, I am thinking Sky will not change the way they display Sky news or Sky sports channels around image retention burns, with their lower screen banners. Having bought a Sony Bravia OLED, which has a 5 year warranty 2 years ago. I now have a image burn the size of the sky banners going across the bottom of the screen. This has been reduced by running some of the options within the TV to reset the pixcels etc.. The fact Sony says this comes under user misuse and therfore is not covered by the warranty absolutley infuriates me. Having spent countless calls trying to battle my case with Sony support a sleft me now where, unless I pay. Unfortnately, we watch a lot of Sky news and Sky sports. If Sony or any other TV manufacture will not take responsibility, then surley the broadcasters transmitting these images, that will burn the OLED screen by their static nature and colour, have to look at doing something. If not, as usual the paying public who by these TVs and pay for Sky etc will have to foot the bill. Hoping that Sky may listen 🙂

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@W4yn3001 wrote:

Unfortnately, we watch a lot of Sky news and Sky sports. If Sony or any other TV manufacture will not take responsibility, then surley the broadcasters transmitting these images, that will burn the OLED screen by their static nature and colour, have to look at doing something. 

That would be a case of the 'tail wagging the dog'. Broadcast images don't cause this problem on non-OLED TVs. It's clearly a case of the manufacturer doing something about screen technology, or conumers not buying them.

Hi, I do agree with you on the Non-OLED TV's. Having had other Sony Bravia with no issues, that were not OLED. But is it the case, due to the current technology, people wanting better picture resolution, colours etc.. We are now, where we are, with OLED and QLED. Hopefully the manufactures will come up with a better technology. Unfortnately, I want to watch the channels I want to watch and these channels are going to burn. The broadcasters  could have them on a display timer, so there not on all the time.

Thanks for the reply. 

This message was authored by Rons321 This message was authored by: Rons321

Hi

I had to sue John Lewis (JL) to get anything. They sent an engineer to my home to prove station ident burn in and he just saw the general failure of the TV. This worked out badly for JL as when I took them to the small claims court they had to refund the full cost (£1,299) of the original TV. Good news as I got a Samsung QN95b for under £1200. JL probably spent a 5 figure sum on legal fees on this. 10 years ago we would have got a better result without legal. Subsequently spent about £3k on things that would have gone to "old" JL; no wonder they are going down the drain. 

Hi Ron, thanks fro the reply. I purchased the TV from Currys, however if you phone Currys and go through the options. When it comes to TV and Sony, it tells you to deal direct. I already have the answer from them 😞  I can only try, by going in to the store and see if that ends up, by me going down your trail, hopefully not.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion