Discussion topic: OLED TV Screen Burn

This message was authored by Powerpup This message was authored by: Powerpup

Re: OLED TV Screen Burn

@OLED-User @Mark39 @Annie+UK     Success. 70% Refund  TV written off. Also pro rata refund on the 5 yr warranty that I purchased.. not buying another OLED Nanocell looks next best.

@Powerpup wrote:

@OLED-User 

Sorry to hear that the retailer (PC World) are unwilling to refund/replace. I hope the CC route works for you.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Powerpup wrote:

@OLED-User @Mark39 @Annie+UK     Success. 70% Refund  TV written off. Also pro rata refund on the 5 yr warranty that I purchased.. not buying another OLED Nanocell looks next best.

@Powerpup wrote:

@OLED-User 

Sorry to hear that the retailer (PC World) are unwilling to refund/replace. I hope the CC route works for you.

I purchased a 49” LG SM90 NanoCell on Saturday, so far it is brilliant and coming from LCD screens the black look awesome, but coming from OLED might make blacks seem less impressive, so far I’m loving my purchase also burn in is less likely with LCD

OLED-User
Topic Author
This message was authored by OLED-User This message was authored by: OLED-User

I'm glad to hear of your success with a 70% refund @Powerpup,.

You say the TV is written off. Does that mean you had to return it to be disposed of or were you allowed to keep it?

My own case is still with the credit card company under a "Section 75" claim. If they haven't got back to me by July 15th I can escalate it to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If they don't provide a satisfactory adjudication then it's the County Court. What a headache!

I feel unhappy that retailers, creditcard providers, the FOS and ultimately the County Courts are all having to expend their energy on this. How much better if the manufacturer had simply fixed the sets that have aged prematurely.

@OLED-User @Mark39 @Annie+UK @Callforjustice   I have finally had a resolution from Currys/Know How and I hsve been nicely surprised. I was going to ask for a 75% refund or  a complete replacement.  Know How Experts have offered to replace the screen but only 2D with £150 goodwill for loss of 3D, or a full write off and a 70% refund voucher  This was based on the current LG OLED 55" sold today to the same standard  (but 2D of course) and amounts to £1399.  The voucher was issued today and I am going to visit Currys on Friday to confirm which of the LG Nanocell 55" is favourite. Probably the 9010. A very good result even though I can no longer view 3D. Although it took a while with a few detours along the way since early May I am happy with the result and I hope anyone else with similar problems manages the same outcome.

@OLED-User 

Have sent a more comprehensive reply after my initial update. In answer to your response to the shorter comment I sent first, I would not expect to receive the old set back, I imagine it might be sent to LG and that Know How receive some compensation for doing that. I wish you well with your complaint.

I have decided on the LG Nanocell 55" Ultra HD 4k HDR 10 set too. Mid range arpound the £1300-1500 mark, Particularly pleased that it has HDMI 2.1, fully functional. 48Gb pipe instead of 18Gb. Going to spend my voucher tomorrow! 

OLED-User
Topic Author

Hi @Powerpup ,

I don't want to be discouraging. 

Are you sure you will find the black levels acceptable after OLED's actual black?

Might there be some wisdom in waiting for some reviews with actual measurements of the black level performance?

Be careful out there 🙂

Hi @OLED-User @Annie+UK @Mark39 @Callforjustice 

I have decided that until OLED software can better look after the screen hardware I will accept the lower quality blacks available with backlit LED. The Nanocell solution with IPS panel seems to be the best compromise. I wanted the wider field of view and a "future proofed" TV, at least for the next 6-7 years, (maybe longer) and HDMI 2.1 overkill appealed, Certified Ultra HD, as well as compatibility with the different flavours of HDR & Dolby Atmos etc. I am  a fan of LG's menu systems too. This is the set I have opted to buy as a replacement:

LG 55SM9010PLA 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV +Google Assistant  (Currys Product code: 510896)

I have researched the life out of sets available on my budget between £1200 & £1400 and this hits the sweet spot between spec/performance and price.

@OLED-User wrote:

Hi @Powerpup ,

I don't want to be discouraging. 

Are you sure you will find the black levels acceptable after OLED's actual black?

Might there be some wisdom in waiting for some reviews with actual measurements of the black level performance?

Be careful out there 🙂

The options are to have deeper blacks but put up with screen burn in or to have slightly worse blacks but a screen that’ll suffer less with burn in but also have a brighter picture that does not require the room to be in total darkness to watch

@Powerpup  That TV also comes with Amazon Alexa support, it also has dolby vision and HRD10+, WebOS 4 is also quite good

OLED-User
Topic Author

Hi @Powerpup ,

Your thinking is very realistic and your decision is easy to understand. 

Although I keep chasing my credit card provider for progress, half of me would quite like the case to drag on so that I don't have to make such a choice myself.

You’ve made the best kind of decision, understanding the compromises and advantages, and I’m sure you’ll be pleased with it.

Kind Regards

@OLED-User @Annie+UK 

Collected and installed TV yesterday. PC World/Currys were very helpful and made the transaction pain free. I was well treated, as if I was buying a TV for the first time and not just spending a voucher! Rechecked specs and suitability, all good. I am more than pleased with the set. The blacks seem to be really quite, well- black! I am very pleasantly surprised at the quality.  I was watching Wimbledon yesterday evening and the detail and colours were natural, sharp and clear. The range of adjustments is incredible. Worth every penny of the £1399 price tag, and I can look forward to a screen that has not been scarred by burning and probably never will be; although I am going to be more careful with the pause button and the static/ticker views going forward. I shall return to this thread in the unlikely event of further troubles, but it does seem as though this particular journey has been successfully completed. Thank you for all your encouragement and advice. 

Kindest regards 

Bill

This message was authored by Cimbom This message was authored by: Cimbom

Sky news channel horizontal news ticker has caused a burn in of my LG OLED55B7 tv too. I think this is a fundamental design flaw with all OLED tv sets but Sky News ticker particularly when bright yellow may not be helping the issue.

My interpretation is that LG OLED tvs are not fit for purpose, hence I shall be asking for a refund. After all this is a national tv news channel and the ticker is not still, continously moving.... yet it does burn in.

Your refund may depend on a number of factors. How long have you owned the TV? Did you buy any type of extended warranty? Have you allowed the TV to show a static picture for extended periods? Did you make the purchase using a credit card (not debit card) or any other type of credit, if so you can claim from them too as joint seller?

I suspect the initial response you receive will be that your instruction booklet has a short sentence alerting the owner to the danger of screen burn and what may cause it to occur and consequently screen burn is not a fault and therefore not a valid reason to return the TV for a refund. 

My issues with my screen, as you can read & view in my earlier comments, was screen pixel deterioration. The whole screen was being affected. In particular there were marks and shading on parts of the screen that had no particular or obvious source (unlike ticker bands etc.). Try to view your whole screen whilst showing a red background and re-check for any other blemishes.

I wish you well in your efforts to replace your TV. I am pleased to report that my Nanocell TV is doing a great job. I still miss 3D and White on Black backgrounds is not as good as OLED, but not enough to spoil UHD quality viewing. 

Kindest regards

@Annie+UK 

All those features are great, especially Alexa. Now that I am more accustomed to the set's myriad controls it is proving itself quite the maestro! I am still amused that I can have a chat with my telly!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion