Discussion topic: OLED TV Screen Burn

This message was authored by OLED-User This message was authored by: OLED-User

OLED TV Screen Burn

Hi,

This is no criticism of Sky or their equipment.

I have noticed screen burn on my LG OLED TV (model OLED55E6V). It shows mostly over a red background and the burned areas corresond with the "yellow" parts of the Sky Program Guide. The "Pause" image has also shows slight burn when a blue background is displayed.

Have others burned their OLED TVs by using the program guide or Live Pause?

Might there be a fault with only my TV?

Kind Regards,

Ray

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Re: OLED TV Screen Burn

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey everyone, thank you for your contribution to this post!

OLED as a technology suffers from screen burn in general – it’s a trait of the technology unfortunately and I’m not aware of any planned changes to screen designs, such as news chyrons, by any broadcaster.  

It's not something Sky can sensibly control but I'd love to give you some advice:

• A static picture on screen for a prolonged period will increase the probability of screen burn, when possible graphics should be alternated often.
  • Features such as pause, fast forward, rewind and the Red button should be dismissed if not in use or after use. For red button indicators, you can set your box to dismiss the button after 30 secs.
  • The TV the manufacturer will have support on reducing screen burn within their physical help manuals or online. Potentially there are settings on the TV that could be changed or activated that may benefit.

If any users have any recommendations on settings that could be changed on the TV or something that worked for you, share your advice and TV make/model for others to try below.

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

OLEDs are particularly susceptible to screen burn. A static image displayed for anything more than a short period is likely to be a problem. The ticker bar on Sky News has been cited as an example on the forum before, as other than the scrolling text, it's permanently displayed and static. There were a number of posts about it on the SkySQ forum though not lately. I recall that LG has been particularly poor about explaining the risk to new OLED owners. I don't know whether or not that has changed. Some TVs have a setting for a process which can be run periodically allegedly to repair minor screen burn damage?

OLED-User
Topic Author

Thanks Oracle for taking the time to post a response. I realise that my question wasn't really specific enough,.so here is a revised question:

If you have an LG OLED556EV (or similar) that you use on a Sky+ box, do you see any screen burn (particularly against a red background). Both "Yes" and "No" answers are important.

This message was authored by Powerpup This message was authored by: Powerpup

Yes. Very clearly screen burns. I was unaware until a few weeks ago, but they have become mor ponounced recently. I would imagine there is a tipping point when the lines contrast to such a degree that they are obvious and not lost in the background picture. I chose an LG OLED TV because of the superior colour and blacks that this type of screen produces. I had no idea that it was susceptible to screen burn.  I was aware that TVs left on with a static picture ( I am reminded of the BBC 2 roundel with the little girl and her blackboard)  could leave an imprint (burn), but that has not been the case with this set. 

I bought my set from Currys/PC World specifically mentioning that I now have Sky Q+ and I wanted a new 4K UHD set to accompany it. No-one warned me that the banner on BBC News and Sky news would affect the screens pixels colour output.. I have used the picture setting that is supposed to keep the screen clean regularly., but this has had no effect. I have advised Curry's After -sale Care Guarantee Company via "Know How" and they will investigate the set, although their initial response has been quite negative, that screen burn is not covered. I said that after paying nearly £2,300 for a New TV / Extended Guarantee  that the TV  that displayed incorrect colours after less than 2 yrs 6 months use was not fit for purpose ., they offered to check the set and would collect within a few days. They could not guive me date that included a replacement TV and I am now waiting for a call to confirm a collection date when they can loan a TV to me whilst mine is away. I am unhappy that the replacement is not OILED or 55". It is smaller and LED. I am inclined to write directly to Currys PC World rejecting the TV as unfit. I am undecided, especially as this is one of the last 3D sets manufactured with OLED and that was another important reason for the purchase.Banding Green LG OLED 55C6V small.jpgBanding Reds on LG OLED 55C6V Ignore vertical that is on transmission Small.jpgBanding Reds Yellows & Greens on LG OLED 55C6V small.jpgBanding Greens on LG OLED 55C6V Green Small.JPG

OLED-User
Topic Author

Dear Powerup,

Thank you for taking the trouble of posting. I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you also.

It's true that one doesn't notice the problem developing until the shadows show over program material. Like you I found that the “clear panel noise” function makes no visible improvement.

Currys have been quite immovable with me. Their last communication said that they can't help me "... due to this not being recognised as a fault".

LG offered me a repair costing £1199 including courier charges and VAT. Such a repair carries a three month warranty!

I haven't attempted to argue with Currys further because I understand their business position. In fact I am sorry for the retailers because I feel that they are victims too.

Sorry for Currys or not, I am pursuing other ways of getting a remedy.

• If you bought your TV using a credit card then the credit card company is equally responsible.
  • You have rights independent of your warranty through the Consumer Protection Act 2015. 
  • The Citizens' Advice Bureau will help you to know your rights and they can give practical help too.

Do please keep your claim going and post news of your progress.

Kind regards

OLED-User

Thank you for your recent reply. 

Now that the banding is more obvious it seems to be spiling every programme. The real downside is that it was not flagged as an issue anywhere until a few months ago. I did not know until a few weeks ago! 

I will not be happy until there is a solution. It would seem that I cannot have 3D in anything to replace this set, which is a real loss. I loved the 3D on this set. 

Sale of Goods Act Fitness for purpose...is on our side. The reason for purchase, the cost of purchase, the amount of intended use, the type of use are all relevant and I have battled intransigent jobs worths before and won considerable victories.  A TV should be able to be viewed without making sure that the programme you are watching will not damage the screen. I cannot imagine any other product  where the item's express purpose has to be monitored and altered, whilst in operation, to make sure it doesn't stop what it was designed to do. 

I expected to enjoy at least 10 years with this set (or possibly longer) at which time I would not expect to have retained a viewable picture. I am therefore going to ask for a minimum refund of 75%. 

I am livid enough to risk going to a small claims court using one of the many consumer protection laws that abound. I particularly remember the Tesco TV that had a 12 month warranth that eventually had to become 24 months because consumer electrical goods carried an EU wide 2 Year Guarantee. My set is 2 Years and a few months old, but it is still very young to have developed this fault. Especially on a TV costing £2000!

My ire is indeed up! I will keep in touch.

OLED-User
Topic Author

Dear PowerUp,

I'm very encouraged by your reply. It is interesting that you are going for a 75% refund. That's exactly what I am doing and seems to me perfectly reasonable.

I'm stating that I WANT a full refund because of what I believe to be wilful misrepresentation by LG (I feel that the resellers are victims too because our sales contracts are with them so they'll have to carry the can).

As far as I understand the Consumer Protection Act 2015, a 75% refund seems to be entitled.

It’s a pity that “Class Actions” aren’t possible in the UK.

Kind Regards,

OLEDUser

Hi OLED User

The TV is going to be collected by "Know How" for "investigation and possible repair". The conversation was rather negative, but I am happy to proceed along this path for now. I await their repsonse after the investigation and I will react accordingly.

I will keep you in touch as this goes forward.

Kindest regards

Powerpup

Hi @OLED-User @Mark39 

TV being collected 14 June. Lilac Screen showing square centre region discoloured and logo top left and stripe half way down left hand side and banding   (6).JPG

This week whilst watching the French Open Tennis with the red clay, I noticed further areas of the screen showing discolouration. I have attached a photo attempting to show these extensive discolourations, top left very faint (Sky News logo I think) but more worryingly there is a small but distinct vertical discolouration at about the 9 0'clock position a couple of inches in from the left hand edge and this has no obvious source. There also seems to be  a large rectangular area in the middle of the screen.  Difficult to see in a photo, but just visible if you change viewing angles.

This leads me to suspect that the screen is actually faulty and over the coming months these areas would discolour to the tipping point I mentioned in my last comment . Then they would be clear to see and completely ruin any viewing pleasure and negate the whole reason for purchasing this particular TV with OLED display.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

OLED TVs need a total redesign to eliminate screen burn, until that happens I’d never recommend them as LED screens may not have as deep blacks but they don’t suffer from screen burn in the way OLEDs do, plus.OLEDs degrade quicker over time

You pay a huge premium for OLED, but get an extremely fragile technology

@OLED-User @Annie+UK @Mark39 

LG OLED 55C6V

I am enclosing a marked up version of the last screen photo.  This TV is only 2 years 6 months old and this much discolouration is indeed an indication that it is not fit for purpose. It cannot be "screen burn" if it covers the whole screen! Fragile is one description and if I had been advised or warned that they were this fragile I would not have made this very expensive purchase.Areas now showing discolouration pixel deteriorationAreas now showing discolouration pixel deterioration

OLED-User
Topic Author

Hi @Powerpup ,

Have you had any response from Currys yet?

Their HO closed me off so I've started a claim from my Credit Card provider under section 75 of the Finance Act.

It progresses gradually with professional and pleasant interactions with Lloyds (behind the VIsa card).

I must say that the staff in my Currys branch were pleasant to deal with but they don't have much authority.

Kind Regards

Hi @OLED-User   @Annie+UK  @Mark39 

Repair "experts" turned up last Friday week 14 June postponed from 2 June to collect my TV.- (although tried to collect on 30 May which we had already advised  was not possible)  I had delayed collection because I had to "book" a replacement TV, and they then arrived without a replacement of any kind or size. When I challenged the "experts" they said they had never supplied a temporary replacement TV when collecting sets for repair. They contacted their office and said there was a problem. I then spoke to "Know How" (Curry's In House Warranty Team) with whom I hold a 5 year warranty (£299 ).  A set had not been sent out because the date I booked (the latest and only date offered for me to make an actual booking) was too early for a loan set. They had a queue of 43 customers requesting replacement TV use and I was 37th on the list! If this was the case why was I not informed when I made the postponed booking?  Why was the collection allowed to go ahead when I had warned that unless a 42" set was supplied, I would send the "experts" away until they had a 42" set available; (having originally been advised that the only TVs offered were 32-42")

I have reluctantly agreed to wait for a booking until my name is at or near the top of the "waiting" list. Know How would not give me a date or an approximate wait time. I asked how many loan sets they used, and the rep I was speaking to said he did not know. I said can you find out, and he said he could not. I said could it be 8 weeks? or more? He refused to give any indication. I suggested that Know How's problem was loan TV availability and that they should increase the number, and they were now making it my problem! 

I am still waiting for that call to arrange the loan TV and collection of my faulty TV (which is now showing much larger areas of discolouration). It is no longer just "screen burn" where the ticker tape and pause record bars have made marks, it is now showing deterioration in the centre and on other areas unaffected by logos or banners!

I will update this site as this progresses.

@OLED-User 

Sorry to hear that the retailer (PC World) are unwilling to refund/replace. I hope the CC route works for you.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Callforjustice wrote:

This tv was £5000 when I purchased it in November 2017 and I was not warned about screen burn at the time nor was I told not to watch certain channels for too long, I watch the news channel for no longer than 30 minutes at a time, I wouldn’t consider this excessive.

Sounds like perfectly normal and reasonable use to me.  If an OLED TV can't  accommodate that, it's  not fit for purpose, IMHO, regardless of whatever exclusions they try to cover it off with in their user instructions. At least there should be a prominent notice when they're  being sold, that the tv is unsuitable if you watch news channels with a static ticker. I'd be mighty peeved if I'd spent that sort of money on a tv for it to be faulty within  a few  months.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion