Discussion topic: Sky Stream and UHD netflix is only in HD

This message was authored by Timothy+H This message was authored by: Timothy+H

Sky Stream and UHD netflix is only in HD

I got my sky stream puck delivered yesterday I took the package that came with netflix premium.  

I changed  the puck display settings to 2160P   but noticed Netflix was only giving me HD content no 4k content.    

So I added the UHD package (free for 4 months).   Then I saw 4k shows from some of the sky content.  However Apple TV+, Disney +, Amazon Prime and Netflix was only giving me HD. content,  so I reset the puck back to factory settings.    After setting it back up again and changing the default display settings from 1080p to 2160p  this gave me 4k with Apple TV, Disney and Prime but not with Netflix.

Netflix only gives meHD content. I have reloaded the app. I have signed in and out. Nothing works. 

I logged into netflix on my comptuer and it shows I have netflix premium.  I opened Neflix on my apple tv box and it is in 4K.

I just can't get 4k netflix on the sky stream puck. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thank you  

All Replies

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Re: Sky Stream and UHD netflix is only in HD

What's the manufacturer and model of the TV?

Exiled in HH
Timothy+H
Topic Author

A sony 55inch KD-55AF8.

The TV is not the issue as other apps give me 4k.   Let me clarify something it is not that netflix wont play me 4k content, it that there is no 4k content offered. all the shows say HD next to their titles. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You need to be on the correct Netflix package for UHD. Only Netflix Premium supports UHD as far as i'm aware, have you check and verified the tier of your netflix account.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Timothy+H
Topic Author

As I said in my original post i have Netflix Premium.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Have you checked that the sky stream is picking it up as a Netflix Premium account?

On the pcuk Go to My Sky -> Your Products and under App Registrations make sure its lising Netflix Premium and not Basic.

Its worth just making sure the puck thinks your have Netflix Premium.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by PSC133 This message was authored by: PSC133

I have the same problem with one of my tvs.  Netflix titles only available in HD using the stream puck, whereas an Nvidia Shield connected to the same tv and the tv's own Netflix app give access to Netflix 4k content.

All other apps on the stream box (Disney+, Prime , Apple TV+ etc and Sky's own 4K content) have access to 4K content on this tv.

The tv in question is a Samsung series 9 88inch.

All other Samsung tvs in the house have access to Netflix 4K using the Stream puck.

Timothy+H
Topic Author

Yes i have confirmed i have netflix premium in my sky and on the netflix website.

This message was authored by Rhomic This message was authored by: Rhomic

I have a similar issue. I have the UHD package and Netflix Premium. Every few days, Netflix seems to 'forget' that it is supposed to be supplying me with 4K content and just offers HD instead. Whenever this occurs, it knocks out UHD on other services as well. Switching off at the wall and back on again resolves the situation, but only for a few days until it happens again.. My TV is an LG C3 and my Stream puck is running the current software. I have taken to checking Netflix every time I switch on to see if it is supplying 4K today - even if I don't intend to watch any Netflix.

Is this a known issue and, if so, are Sky working on a fix?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Rhomic this isnt an issue that seems to affect many users so isn't an active issuegoing by forum poosts. I have never had a problem myself with my Netflix premium account.but on odd occasions a search on the Stream interace brings up,a HD version but I can switch in the app to the UHD version quite easily.. 

Are you paying Sky for the premium upgrade rather than still paying Netflix?

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

I am paying Sky for the Premium upgrade. Does that make a difference?

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Rhomic wrote:

I am paying Sky for the Premium upgrade. Does that make a difference?

If you're paying for the Netflix Premium upgrade as part of your Sky package then it should work. 

You mention you have an LG TV - it could be an HDMI handshake issue whereby the puck isn't registering that it is attached to a 4K TV properly and therefore defaulting apps to output HD. 

Is your puck still set to output 2160P or has it reverted to 1080P? It's been reported several times before that pucks can randomly switch their output resolution from UHD to HD when the handshake fails.

That's a thought. Thank you. It's set to 2160P. I'll check that out next time it happens.

Well, it has been eight days now and the issue has not occurred again. Netflix comes on with 4K enabled (as does everything else) and all works as it should.. I don't think there has been an update to either TV or Stream puck in that time, so the only reason I can think of was that I checked the HDMI connections and found that I was able to push one of them in ever so slightly further. Maybe that enabled it to perform the handshake reliably. Thanks for the help, everyone.

After nearly two weeks of behaving impeccably, it has started doing it again. I checked the HDMI, both ends in tight. I checked the settings. Still set to 2160P. I don't know what it is. The HDMI cable, perhaps? It's the one that was supplied with the Sky Stream puck, so it should be okay, and is most of the time. Next time it happens, I will try unplugging the cable and plugging it back in again in case there is a bit of dust stuck in there causing an occasional failure of the handshake.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion