Discussion topic: Sky Stream and UHD netflix is only in HD

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: Sky Stream and UHD netflix is only in HD

@Rhomic wrote:

After nearly two weeks of behaving impeccably, it has started doing it again. I checked the HDMI, both ends in tight. I checked the settings. Still set to 2160P. I don't know what it is. The HDMI cable, perhaps? It's the one that was supplied with the Sky Stream puck, so it should be okay, and is most of the time. Next time it happens, I will try unplugging the cable and plugging it back in again in case there is a bit of dust stuck in there causing an occasional failure of the handshake.

Quite possibly the HDMI cable. It's worth picking up a certified HDMI 2.1 cable from Amazon (costs about £8 - £10) as this will provide faster transmission for bandwidth hungry HDR content. 

This message was authored by PSC133 This message was authored by: PSC133

@PSC133 wrote:

I have the same problem with one of my tvs.  Netflix titles only available in HD using the stream puck, whereas an Nvidia Shield connected to the same tv and the tv's own Netflix app give access to Netflix 4k content.

All other apps on the stream box (Disney+, Prime , Apple TV+ etc and Sky's own 4K content) have access to 4K content on this tv.

The tv in question is a Samsung series 9 88inch.

All other Samsung tvs in the house have access to Netflix 4K using the Stream puck.

I'm replying to my own previous message here to offer additional information:

The problem appears to be how Netflix determines the specification of the amp or tv it is connected to.

My particular setup is puck to Denon amp to Netvio EX-4K60 extender at both ends of a 30 foot hdmi cable to the tv mentioned above.

Netflix using the puck has always worked at HD HDR Atmos but never 4K.

All other apps using the puck (including iPlayer Beta and Sky 4K HLG) work giving 4K HDR Atmos and a 4K Blu-ray player also works without issue.  I was tinkering yesterday and experimented by swapping the puck and Blu-ray player hdmi ports on the amp while the puck and Blu-ray were powered.  The puck Netflix app (for the first time ever) started working in 4K and continued to do so even after returning the hdmi cables to their original ports.  

I haven't dared to remove power to anything since, but coming out of standby Netflix still works.  No previous efforts of powering the items in different sequences have worked.  I'm struggling to understand what's going on here but think that I must have fooled the Netflix app in some way.

This message was authored by SAbramson This message was authored by: SAbramson

Same issue here. 

Netflix app on TV shows 4k on Amazon fire stick 4k it shows 4k, app on sky only shows hd.

also noticed today, sky cinema uhd says not compatible with device even though all settings are on 2160p.

On Phillips 49 inch 4k TV

This message was authored by SAbramson This message was authored by: SAbramson

Also forgot to mention Sky Sports UHD works perfectly fine in 4k.

This message was authored by Rhomic This message was authored by: Rhomic

@Padam_Padam 

I took your advice, Padam, and ordered a certified HDMI 2.1 cable from Amazon. It was made by a company I have never heard of, called Ubluker, and arrived within 24 hours. Price £8.75. It's an impressive-looking bit of kit, stiffer than the Sky cable and braided. I don't know whether that would make any difference.

Anyway, to give it the best chance of a good start, I unplugged the puck at the wall, swapped the cables over and plugged it back in again, so that it would reboot. This it did, and all seems well. Let us hope that it stays that way. Thanks for the tip.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Rhomic 

That's the same brand of HDMI cables I use with my Apple TV 4K box, Panasonic OLED TV & Denon amp. They've worked perfectly for me for months. I got rid of my Stream puck in the end (too unreliable) but hopefully yours will work better with the new cable. Good luck! 

This message was authored by Rhomic This message was authored by: Rhomic

@Padam_Padam 

Well, that didn't work. Netflix behaved impeccably for several days and then started misbehaving again. It's a perfectly good cable, which means that the problem must lie elsewhere.

I hope I am not tempting Fate here, but I think I may have stumbled across the solution. I called up Netflix and was on the Home Screen, browsing through what was on offer. Without warning, it flickered, and whatever had previously been listed as 4K was suddenly HD. That set me thinking. Clearly, the handshake had failed, or rather something had happened to cause it to fail. 

I remembered once reading a post by somebody who had been having a problem with Netflix. It wasn't the same problem as mine, but he fixed it by making sure that he logged out whenever he wanted to watch something else. It occurred to me that other apps, such as iPlayer and Prime Video log you out automatically when you cease watching. I know this because you see their log-in screens whenever you access them. Netflix doesn't do this. You have to log out manually. The command, 'Exit Netflix' is at the bottom of the vertical column of options that includes Search etc. Since then, I have logged out religiously, even if I had just popped in for a quick look, and the problem has not returned. It has been about a week now. Fingers crossed, it stays that way.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion