Discussion topic: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Botto_oh wrote:

I've managed to find a work around....get rid of the sky mini. Since I've disconnected this, I've had no issues with my main sky q box. Hope this helps 

This is the second time it seems like it's the mini establishing (badly) the connection to the wifi network and screwing everything up. Does re-adding the mini once the Q is stable work or does it break it again?

This message was authored by Botto_oh This message was authored by: Botto_oh

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Nope, tried resetting many times. Even tried a wired connection (although perhaps this wouldn't help as the main box and the mini communicate using their own wifi channel). 

I must admit, I had a 2 hour call with a support engineer from Bulgaria who was the politest and most helpful guy possible. He's the reason I put up with trying different things and helped me solve it 

The main box and mini can use ethernet to communicate but both need to be wired of course

This message was authored by Rachael21466 This message was authored by: Rachael21466

Good morning, has anyone actually resolved this problem? I've been reading through and don't see a resolution except perhaps disconnecting the mini box which I really don't want to do. I'm not very technical (can cope with basics!!). It's driving us potty watching something and again it goes off and that x is showing on network!! 

@Rachael21466 wrote:

Good morning, has anyone actually resolved this problem? I've been reading through and don't see a resolution except perhaps disconnecting the mini box which I really don't want to do. I'm not very technical (can cope with basics!!). It's driving us potty watching something and again it goes off and that x is showing on network!! 

Have escalated for you. Watch out for a blue chat bubble.

This message was authored by jesuschrist This message was authored by: jesuschrist

had this problem for years, it improves alittle then gets worse again, at the moment im having to connect and re enter my wifi password to the box on a daily basis, its ridiculous and very irritating, the amount of posts about it clearly indicates a problem with the box and sky need to fix it! box going in the bin its useless

This message was authored by CazzaMasonGrant This message was authored by: CazzaMasonGrant

Did you get it resolved as I'm having d exact same issue for months now!

This message was authored by CazzaMasonGrant This message was authored by: CazzaMasonGrant

Can someone help me solve this issue may cancel my whole subscription!

This message was authored by Cobbo This message was authored by: Cobbo

We have only just recently starting having this issue but it has now gone completely, we have a main Q box and 2 remote boxes for the children to watch 

I have tried hard wired and wifi. It lasts for 10 seconds then drops out.

i have been on Hold for 25 minutes so far. 
we know we have internet as all our apps works as well as laptop. It is only sky with the issue. So clearly a "them" problem that and all the many many posts here with what appears to be no resolution.

@Cobbo wrote:

We have only just recently starting having this issue but it has now gone completely, we have a main Q box and 2 remote boxes for the children to watch 

I have tried hard wired and wifi. It lasts for 10 seconds then drops out.

i have been on Hold for 25 minutes so far. 
we know we have internet as all our apps works as well as laptop. It is only sky with the issue. So clearly a "them" problem that and all the many many posts here with what appears to be no resolution.

Did you disable wifi when you tried ethernet?

This message was authored by Cobbo This message was authored by: Cobbo

I have now tried disconnecting the wifi when using the Ethernet and vice versa.

i have spoken to Sky and they straight away said they will send a new box, not even an engineer visit. It seems to be an issue they are familiar with. 
but thank you 

@Cobbo wrote:

I have now tried disconnecting the wifi when using the Ethernet and vice versa.

i have spoken to Sky and they straight away said they will send a new box, not even an engineer visit. It seems to be an issue they are familiar with. 
but thank you 

Disconnecting or disabling? I found mine would randomly use wifi again (or try to) until I completely disabled it on all boxes.

This message was authored by Zed101 This message was authored by: Zed101

Power lines just get different errors, proximity something or other, tried ethernet via mesh system as well 400Mbps connection and the the q mini box stutters

No other internet problems in the house, everything connects, stays connected and is fast.

I have 500Mbps on 5g through 3 and it doesn't help, also I have a wired connection with Talk talk it is junk 30Mbps but wife will not get rid of the landline,, I even stuck a sky router on it and it is just as bad.

Nearly every day having to reset the network because it will just not connect otherwise, even that wouldn't be as bad if it didn't take 5 minutes to reset the main and another 5 to reset the mini.... Why so long? I could reset every other device in my house 3 times or more in the time it takes to reset one sky box!

@Zed101 wrote:

Power lines just get different errors, proximity something or other, tried ethernet via mesh system as well 400Mbps connection and the the q mini box stutters

No other internet problems in the house, everything connects, stays connected and is fast.

I have 500Mbps on 5g through 3 and it doesn't help, also I have a wired connection with Talk talk it is junk 30Mbps but wife will not get rid of the landline,, I even stuck a sky router on it and it is just as bad.

Nearly every day having to reset the network because it will just not connect otherwise, even that wouldn't be as bad if it didn't take 5 minutes to reset the main and another 5 to reset the mini.... Why so long? I could reset every other device in my house 3 times or more in the time it takes to reset one sky box!

I use ethernet to mesh node on the Q (via a switch) and powerlines via that switch for the minis. Don't get any "proximity errors" or stuttering on the minis. All wifi disabled. 1Gb fttp but I think your 5G should be fine.

This message was authored by kajay This message was authored by: kajay

We're with Utility Warehouse for fibre broadband with Eero boxes. Every device in our house connects to the wifi absolutely fine, apart from Sky Q box and Sky extra room box. They not continuously disconnect, saying they "it looks like you don't have internet connection right now. If you're already set up we'll keep trying to connect" which it never does. We have to reset our connection meaning we have to keep putting in broadband password which is a complete waste of our time. We're definitely now thinking of leaving sky and just using apps on firestick. Cheaper and less hassle. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion