Discussion topic: Sky q mini box schedu

This message was authored by JN4 This message was authored by: JN4

Sky q mini box schedu

Can I schedule a recording from a sky q mini box to the main box and then watch it on the mini box?

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Sky q mini box schedu

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JN4 wrote:

Can I schedule a recording from a sky q mini box to the main box and then watch it on the mini box?

@JN4 yes all boxes can schedule recordings and they can be watched on any box except UHD which can only be watched on the main box 

All recordings are stored on the main box 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

@JN4   I am just trying to get my head around your question.  So you have a main box and in another room a mini box!  What I don't understand is what you mean by scheduling it to your main box!  

If you see a program or film you want to record on your mini box just press record and it goes into your 'Recordings' which can then be watched on either box.  The only exception being you would have to record it just in HD as last time I checked mini boxes can't take UHD.  (If someone else knows if that has changed let us know) 

JN4
Topic Author

I am considering upgrading from sky + so was not sure if you could only record from the main box and stream to additional.mini boxes?

This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

@JN4  In that case as my answer above states, yes what ever you record on one box can be watched on both.  I don't think you will regret the switch.  

JN4
Topic Author

Can you record directly from a mini box?.As sky told me this was not possible. They said you can only record from the main box and stream the recordings from the main box to any additional.mini boxes.

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

You can set programmes to record on a mini box. The recordings are all stored on the main box but can be played on any mini box (except UHD recordings). 

Like @xenon81  says. 👍

JN4
Topic Author

Just checking before I commit to upgrade,as I would want to be able to view different recordings from the main box and the two additional.mini boxes seperately on each of the three.

@JN4 wrote:

Just checking before I commit to upgrade,as I would want to be able to view different recordings from the main box and the two additional.mini boxes seperately on each of the three.

@JN4 as we have previously stated all recording except UHD recordings are available to view on all boxes doesn't matter what box the recording was set on, each box can view the same recording or different recordings at the same time with the caveat regarding UHD recordings only being available on the main box 

JN4
Topic Author

Sky told me a mini box cannot record as it does not have a hard drive.

@JN4 wrote:

Sky told me a mini box cannot record as it does not have a hard drive.

@JN4 correct to a point mini boxes don't have a hard drive but  all recordings are saved on the main box but can be accessed by the mini boxes so you can set a recording from the mini box where it is recorded to the main box that has a hard drive then the mini box accesses the hard drive on the main box to pkay back a recording 

JN4
Topic Author

How do you access the recording you have made from the mini box to the main box,so that you can watch it on the mini box?

@JN4 wrote:

How do you access the recording you have made from the mini box to the main box,so that you can watch it on the mini box?

@JN4 all recording that have been made to the hard drive on the main box  are shown in the recordings section that is available on the mini boxes and the main box  so you just click on the recording and press play see picture below

Believe me it works I have a main box and 2 mini boxes 

PXL_20240922_162754649.jpg

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@JN4 wrote:

To watch a recording on the mini box you just open the recordings menu on that box and select whatever you want to watch. All boxes can access all recordings (except UHD).

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion