Discussion topic: Sky connection to AV Receiver

This message was authored by Slider09 This message was authored by: Slider09

Sky connection to AV Receiver

Hi all

I'm getting Sky Q installed on Thursday, upgrading from Sky HD. I understand Sky Q transmit audio in Dolby Atmos for some broadcasts?

I do have a Dolby Atmos compatible amp although it's only configured with 5.1 speakers. Currently the hd box is connected to the amp by an opitical cable. In the real world am I going to lose out in sound quality connecting by optical instead of plugging the Q box into the amp via hdmi (ideally Q box > TV hdmi)?  I understand there are some issues with Q boxes and AV receivers. 

Thanks

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Re: Sky connection to AV Receiver

Hi @Slider09   Perhaps the exact make and model of AVR, then somebody with a similar AVR could share their experiences. 

Slider09
Topic Author

It's not a specific receiver question, more regarding optical vs hdmi. 

However, receiver is a Denon AVR-X2400H

Thanks

This message was authored by cjs1234 This message was authored by: cjs1234

If you only have a 5.1 configuration your amp will not play Dolby Atmos. Set up usually requires your amp to recognise the speaker configuration you are using.

There have been big debates about HDMI v optical and which is best.  Some high end equipment doesn't have HDMI (mainly soundbars). Most people with AV receivers connect equipment to the receiver with HDMI and then the receiver to the TV. This connection will give you as good a quality sound as your equipment allows.

This message was authored by cjs1234 This message was authored by: cjs1234

Just seen your second post. I actually have a Denon AVRX 2400 and have it connected as I described. Q box via HDMI into the receiver then out to the tv via HDMI ARC.

Slider09
Topic Author

Thanks. 

I tried that with my existing Sky Hd box and was getting a weird issue. Every time I turned the tv on, the amp would automatically turn on (not what I want) - Hdmi control turned off apart from pass through (amp) and ARC (tv).  Only way to stop this was to turn off the Bravia sync on the Tv, but doing that would then disable ARC. 

I don't use the amp all the time which is why I had pass through set to ON. 

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Slider09

I use Sky Q by HDMI to TV, then TV out by optical to soundbar. Great for all content, including TV apps. 

If you do connect Sky directly to your AV system, you need to be sure it can pass through UHD signals (if you're getting the 2tb box that supports UHD) or you'll not be able to watch any UHD content, whereas Sky to TV by HDMI then out to the AV ensures UHD reaches the TV okay. 

Slider09
Topic Author

Thsnks

My receiver is 4K compatible so UHD isn't an issue.

I'll probably go down this route if I can't get the HDMI to work as I want it - which is why I was asking about optical vs HDMI.  

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Hi @Slider09   HDMI allows the latest audio formats like Dolby Atmos while Optical is limited to Dolby Digital.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Slider09 I have the same amp as you. The issue with HDMI control is going to be difficult to fix as the Sony system assumes if HDMI control is on you want the amp to switch on. Try turning HDMI control off on the amp but leave the TV's on as that may fix it. HDMI control is great when it works and a pain when it doesnt. You can buy HDMI filters thatvstop the control commands if absolutely necessary see here 

The Denon is best set up using HDMI pass through with all video processing on thecamp disabled thst way you get thebest sound and video and avoid lip sync issues.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Slider09
Topic Author

Thanks. 

Right, hdmi from sky is back into HDMI 1 of the amp with all HDMI control turned off. This now stops the amp turning on when the tv turns on but also disables ARC as mentioned above. 

I've added an optical from the Tv to the 'Tv audio' optical on the amp, so Netflix on the tv can also benefit from surround sound. Trouble is, using the tv's optical out means the sound comes from both the tv and the amp - and there is a very slight delay causing an echo effect !

@Slider09

If you can always use the amp for your sound (which you'd be well advised to do), you'll need to disable the TV speakers in your TV settings. If you're not always going to be using your amp for sound then you'll have to keep toggling your TV speakers on and off as required. 

This message was authored by SkyJayHD This message was authored by: SkyJayHD

@Rhonny 

I have just had Sky Q installed today and have this exact issue. If I connect the Sky Q box by HDMI to my AVR then on to the tv, then I lose UHD quality picture. If I keep the Sky Q connected to the tv directly, can I take the sound feed to my AVR by optical cable from the tv?  I did try connecting the tv ARC by HDMI to the AVR but no joy.  Appreciate any assistance you can give me. 

@SkyJayHD

I have my Sky Q connected to my TV by HDMI, then optical from TV to soundbar. So yes, you should be able to connect from TV to AVR by optical. 

Why not try it, and come back on here if you have any questions. 

(Ensure your audio output on your TV's audio settings is not set to 'TV Speakers' but instead is set to external speakers or similar setting.) 

This message was authored by SkyJayHD This message was authored by: SkyJayHD

@Rhonny 
Thanks, I will give that a go and have found the tv setting for sound as you suggest. Just thinking though, could you as an alternative take an optical feed straight from the box to the AVR optical or does it have to come back from the tv.  I was surprised that connecting from the tv's ARC to the AVR didn't work.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion