Discussion topic: Sky Q whirring or making noises over night - EE Broadband

This message was authored by Pete-max This message was authored by: Pete-max

Re: Sky Q whirring or making noises over night - EE Broadband

Had BT and Sky Q box with no problems for years! Got convinced to have an EE router as it was cheaper and since then I've had five skyboxes two engineers and I'm on a pass the Buck  merry-go-round.  

I'm at my wits end with it all!! Please Sky can you advise and yes I have updated all my equipment via sky help. 

This message was authored by Kayleigh786 This message was authored by: Kayleigh786

Is there a fix for this. I have recently swapped from BT bb to EE bb and since then I am constantly having to try and reconnect my Sky Q mini boxes. At least on a daily basis? I have never had an issue when I was with BT but ever since the swap it is constant. 

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

@Kayleigh786 

Hi

we are struggling with this problem. 

Common factors are

• Using EE Fibre Hub. 
• Connection via Ethernet

but not in all cases for the Ethernet.

I was also with BT. Swapped to EE on their recommendation. Had 5 new boxes before I started with others to raise it as an issue.

I had main box and 4 minis all connected to router via Ethernet with BT for 3 years. Super fast and never missed a beat.

Cant get 3 hours now with the EE one without it crashing, boxes are unresponsive and only a power reset will work. Again will crash very soon afterwards.

Will run ok ish on WiFi but why should I?

Any updates @Daniel-F 

This message was authored by Kayleigh786 This message was authored by: Kayleigh786

Mines connected via WiFi and I just can't get it to keep connection to the main box. It's so frustrating!! 

Daniel-F
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

As teams continue to investigate this we require more examples from users to help build a better picture of what you are seeing.  

If you are are still seeing this issue please provide us with any fresh examples you experience.  This includes if you have reported this before.

We are looking for:

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have?
  2. Is this connected via ethernet or WiFi?
  3. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh?
  4. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen.
  5. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? ideally we want some exact time stamps on this
  6. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? 
  7. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs?

Thanks,

Daniel
Community Moderator

@Daniel-F 
the router I have is a smart hub plus

My devices are currently connected via WiFi 

I use EE WiFi boosters but no other network boosting features

I have a Sky Q 2TB box the hardware version. Is 32D00D running software version Q270.000.10.02L(5u193hm)

I don't experience the whirring noise however I cannot connect either of my 2 boxes to the main Sky Q box. It starts with a loss of internet connection then I connect it to the WiFi then it loses connection to the box I reactivate and then will lose the connection to the WiFi again. Sometimes for some reason it will eventually reconnect after repeatedly reactivating both the connection to Sky Q box and connection to router. Sometimes I can be without sky for over 12hrs.

It will display no satellite signal on the mini boxes or sometimes an error code which is MR104. The Sky Q box and mini boxes are in the same locations as they were when I was with BT broadband and they worked perfectly. All other streaming services work uninterrupted through my TV such as Netflix and Prime the issue does seem to be affecting Sky only.  

Hi Daniel, thank you for getting back to us on this most annoying issue.  
 1) ee: smart hub SH31

2) earthnet cable

3) Sky hard ware - 32B106

4) Sky software - Q270.000.10.02L(5u193hm)

5)Froze today 8/9/24 at 17.43. The Picture froze on screen and the noise was a loud whirring nose and you cannot navigate the screen. You can also hear the fan whirring on the sky q. Not using any other router other than ee. 

please send help 

Peter Martin

This message was authored by Raysgroovy81 This message was authored by: Raysgroovy81

Hi @Daniel-F ,

Please find full information, including a daily log of the issues arising. Please let me know if anything else is required, I will paste this full information when replying.

Regards

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have? EE Smart Hub Plus SH31B
  2. Is this connected via ethernet or WiFi? Set up via Ethernet
  3. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh? EE Smart Wifi Plus - extenders (2) SW30A
  4. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen. 32B12D, Q270.000.10.02L (5u193hm)
  5. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? ideally we want some exact time stamps on this.  See daily record below
  6. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? Completely inoperable, will not even switch off using the power button on the front - has to be power cycled.
  7. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs? If occurs overnight, will not turn on so no screen. When it happens whilst the box is in use the picture freezes with a pink bleed, sometimes split screen - a high frquency repeated noise

Recent crashes

31/08/2024 - 15:43

01/09/2024 - 10:00, 20:45, 23:28

02/09/2024 - 01:43

03/09/2024 - None

04/09/2024 - None

05/09/2024 - 14:59, 18:00

06/09/2024 - None

07/09/2024 - 12:55

08/09/2024 - None

09/09/2024 - 09:55, 14:23

10/09/2024 - None

11/09/2024 - 18:05

Points to note

• Main Q Box has been connected via Ethernet to the hub both through a switch and directly - crashes still occur.
  • I have tried disconnecting the box from Ethernet and connecting via Wi-Fi only - crashes still occur.
  • Box will not retain a Wi-Fi connection when placed into standby mode, when turned back on I receive a message advising no network connection
  • None of my boxes use Wi-Fi, all are connected via cat5 Ethernet.

I have now noticed the whirring noise from our box and agree the box is completely inoperable. Whilst after turning off I eventually get sky service back it's so annoying to have to do full resets on all the devices usually twice daily.

Hi Daniel 

Any updates on the problems we are all having? My Sky is now crashing 2 to 3 times a day! 

kind regards 

Peter 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion