Discussion topic: Sky Q whirring or making noises over night - EE Broadband

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

Re: Sky Q whirring or making noises over night - EE Broadband

@Jaideep2 

@Daniel-F 

This is exactly the issue. Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. 

Let's hope it's resolved. 

Mark

This message was authored by Raysgroovy81 This message was authored by: Raysgroovy81

@Daniel-F Same issue with Sky Q 2TB Box, no problems until signing up with BT/EE in April - initially with a BT Hub now using an EE Smart Hub Plus, connected via Ethernet.

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have? EE Smart Hub Plus
  2. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh? EE Smart Wifi Plus - extenders
  3. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen. Q270
  4. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? ideally we want some exact time stamps on this. Almost aways overnight with box inoperable in the morning and fan running, sometimes during the day - no specific time, happening afternoon and evening.
  5. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? Completely inoperable, will not even switch off using the power button on the front - has to be power cycled.
  6. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs? If occurs overnight, no screen available. When it happens whilst the box is in use the picture freezes with a pink bleed, sometimes split screen - a high frquency repeated noise

Main issue normally occurs overnight. Box is inoperable in the morning (virtually everyday) and the fan is running loud - although the Q box is not warm at all.

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

@Raysgroovy81 

@Daniel-F 

Another one exactly the same!!

This message was authored by Gavin+W This message was authored by: Gavin+W

Hi Daniel, I have answered your questions as per your numbered points. Thanks for your interest in this.

1) EE Router is the new Router (Black in colour) SMart Hub plus

2) Yes using booster for both Sky and EE. The Mesh's have been separated so Sky will boost from the Sky booster and EE from the EE Boosters. 

3) Sky Q software version Q270.000.08.00L (5u193c0)

4) It can happen at random times. If the Sky Q box is left in standby mode overnight it will be whirring in the morning. It can also freeze at random times through the day.

5) The system is inoperable whilst whirring and the only way to recover is by turning the power off.

6) No specific screen. If it freezes it will be the screen that was being watched at the time. If not it will be a blank screen as it is in standby mode.

I have had both a Sky connectivity engineer and an EE engineer our over the past few weeks. They have split the signal so that Sky only works through the Sky booster that has been installed. I have to use EE boosters due to the walls within the house.

Both engineers have said that the Sky Q box and the Router are running the latest software versions.

Many thanks for your help

Daniel-F
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Posted by a Sky employee

@Daniel-F wrote:

Hi all,

To update on this back office teams have been unable to replicate the issue seen within this thread. 

Since I last posted I've only seen one user example come back to me with the exact information I've asked for.  I encourage any user still experiencing the issue to please get me the following information:

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have?
  2. Is this connected via ethernet or WiFi?
  3. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh?
  4. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen.
  5. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? ideally we want some exact time stamps on this
  6. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? 
  7. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs?

We would need several unique example accounts detailing the above in order to pick this up moving forward so would appreciate any further user examples.

Hi all,

The teams have been unable to replicate this still but the products team would like to try something else instead. 

Now we are not asking you to stay up all night on this request but the next time you find the issue occurs, can you please get me the exact timestamp you see the issue?  We need a specific timestamps from users, so if you find it happening overnight, just take note of the time it's ocurred & get a reply in here at your next earliest convenience 🙂

If you are new to the thread and haven't already provided the information asked in the quoted post above, can you get me the timestamp along with the information from the above please?

Thanks,

Daniel
Community Moderator

@Daniel-F 

I have already provided a time stamp

What is the feedback to that?

This message was authored by Gavin+W This message was authored by: Gavin+W

Hi

in terms of time and date from today.

Times at 13.20 and 13.43. Sky Q box whirring and unresponsive. Reset by turning power off and back on.

Hope this helps.

many thanks 

Gavin

This message was authored by Scan1 This message was authored by: Scan1

@Daniel-F   Following an upgrade from BT to EE FTTP I found that the TV picture would freeze with a pink tinge and an eerie "death rattle". On other occasions I would find that the sky box was unresponsive when I tried to switch on.  In both cases I would have to power down and reboot the Sky Q box.

On contacting Sky they provided a brand new box but the problem persists.

In answer to your numbered queries:-

1. EE Smart Hub SH31B

2. Ethernet cable

3. 2 EE Smart WIFI SW30A extenders

4. Software Version.   Q270.000.08.00L(5u193c0)

Hardware Version.  32C009

This message was authored by Jaideep2 This message was authored by: Jaideep2

@Daniel-F 

The Q Fan Noise reoccurred at 15:00 and 15:40 today.

Had to switch off box at the mains outlet as box totally inoperable even by pressing standby. 

Re: My replacement SKY Q box crashing and whirring overnight

@Dobbo180 

Are there any issues with the Sky Q 1TB in terms of fan making a noise and the system has to be powered down?

Are you still connecting by ethernet Sky Q Box to EE Router?

Just interested as i have the issue with Sky Q 2TB causing fan noise with ethernet connection to EE Router.

Thanks

Re: My sky Q BOX KEEPS DISCONNECTING FROM MY EE BROADBAND

@Dobbo180,

Any issues with SKY Q 1TB box following change from 2TB.

1. Any noise/ fan issues from the SKY Q 1TB Box?

2. Are you connecting by Ethernet SKY Q 1TB to EE Smart Hub Plus Router?

Appreciate if you can let me know as I might downgrade box although SKY should have a resolution using SKY 2TB box.   

Thanks for your help. 

This message was authored by Raysgroovy81 This message was authored by: Raysgroovy81

@Daniel-F 

Crashes occurring every day currently, some days like today multiple times. I've provided the full information you have asked for.

Thanks

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have? EE Smart Hub Plus SH31B
  2. Is this connected via ethernet or WiFi? Set up via Ethernet, but I have tried disconnecting and it also happened via WiFi
  3. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh? EE Smart Wifi Plus - extenders SW30A
  4. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen. Q270
  5. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? ideally we want some exact time stamps on this.  Sometimes overnight with box inoperable in the morning and fan running, last crash was 23:28, previous 20:45 and this morning (around 10:00). Saturday I witnessed it at 15:43, seems very random timings
  6. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? Completely inoperable, will not even switch off using the power button on the front - has to be power cycled.
  7. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs? If occurs overnight, no screen available. When it happens whilst the box is in use the picture freezes with a pink bleed, sometimes split screen - a high frquency repeated noise

@Daniel-F 

And again at 01:43

Hi,

@Raysgroovy81

Have you got a Sky 2TB or 1TB?

Do you have EE Landline?

I have the same issues as you.

I have Sky 2TB and EE Landline, just trying to establish the common themes.

Thanks

Hi @Jaideep2@Daniel-F 

I have Sky Q 2TB with EE landline/Full Fibre BB.

Crashed last night at 17:59. Feels like it's different times every day so not sure if the timestamp is helpful?

Regards

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion