Discussion topic: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

This message was authored by kirstygilks This message was authored by: kirstygilks

Re: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

I have sky broadband and have the same problem

This message was authored by S_P123 This message was authored by: S_P123

This issue is still happening ... after 18 months of only occassional drop outs fixed via one of above routes (i.e. going from wi-fi to router, wi-fi to range extender and ethernet to range extender) Sky q box now says it is connected to router, but has no internet so no apps work and nothing seems to fix it. Just a useless piece of kit. Not acceptable in 2024.
Like others here all other devices ... phones, printers, tablets, dishwasher, sonos etc etc ... all absolutely fine no problems.

Will call sky to get a new box and hopefully that will cobble along for a few more months until they upgrade these boxes and/or software.

This message was authored by N2bax This message was authored by: N2bax

So reporting back. Sky engineer has been here and replaced both Q box and mini box. Still Sky Q cannot connect to mini box which is about 7-8 meters away in another room. He didn't have a booster in the van so booked another engineer to install a booster later this week. 

This message was authored by chris+odsowd This message was authored by: chris+odsowd

I've had sky q in present address since August 2017 and never had any problems until this week when it did this 

I eventually managed to get the sky q box to accept the WiFi password And it was ok a day or two but has happened again and won't accept password again don't know why it's suddenly started nothing else in the house has changed and WiFi fine otherwise 

This message was authored by HouRo This message was authored by: HouRo

Same issue for me didnt have a problem until i changed broadband provider because sky wanted more money for the same speed internet.  Now i use a different provider itsbstarted losing connection regularly which is very frustrating especially as the mini box doesnt work whilst the connection is lost... 

I've had a couple of SKY engineers come and try various thing with a wireless setup between Sky Q and our Mini box including booster boxes etc but no joy. Maybe because we have an old house with brick walls the Q box won't stay reliably connected to a mini box.... so a few weeks ago I lifted a few floor boards and ran a ethernet cable to the the mini box and since then its been a totally different story. Perfect reception on the mini box. no issues. works like a dream. 

This message was authored by HouRo This message was authored by: HouRo

I've hard wired my sky a box to the garden bar for the mini box as the WiFi doesn't reach that area, only time I get an issue is when the main box loses connection to the internet 

Yes wired connection is much more reliable. I've hard wired my broadband to the Q box as well for a more reliable internet connection. So far so good. 

This message was authored by robjp This message was authored by: robjp

I’m also suffering this issue which is spoiling what should be, and once was, a great product. 

Hopefully I have gathered some info which may help a more technical person diagnose further

Firstly for background.  I have a fairly large house with solid brick walls and getting wi-fi coverage has always been an issue.  I have a Sky-Q box in the lounge, a Sky-mini in the bedroom above, and a Sky-mini in the kitchen which required 2 sky boosters to get it to work (and even then not without the occasional need to reconnect manually).

A few years back I hardwired 3 ubiquiti AC-Pro access points around the house, with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter in place of the BT Homehub and all was good until, forgetting the golden rule of if ain’t broke don’t change it, I changed my broadband provider to Sky.  And this was when it all went wrong.   Even though I immediately disabled the Sky Hub default SSID and re-created my own, the Sky boxes would every night connect to the Sky Hub even though I had never given them the password.  And the Sky mini boxes started losing connection altogether and needing manual reconnect.  Whatever I did, the Sky boxes would not keep to my main, good, Wi-Fi network but would nightly connect to the Sky hub with a weak signal.  So at the first opportunity I ditched Sky broadband and went back to BT but I have never been able to get back to the relative stability I had before going to Sky broadband, specifically for the kitchen Sky-mini box.  But because I have access to some detailed information via the AC-Pro access points, I have observed a few things on the way…

• I factory reset all 3 sky boxes and reset both sky boosters
  • I created a dedicated SSID for the Sky boxes, with only the 2.4  ghz band.
  • I connected the main Sky-Q box to this SSID, immediately noticing 2 separate connections were made to the network
  • I left this for a few days to see if it stayed stable, which it did although always with 2 connections (from 2 separate MAC addresses) and with one connection disconnecting every night at 01:50 and reconnecting at 04:50 and the other connection disconnecting at 01:50 and reconnecting at 04:49
  • After 4 days I connected up the bedroom Sky-mini box.   One of the existing connections immediately dropped and the Sky-mini failed to get an IP address but on restart it connected and the other connection came back.  So at this point I had 3 devices connected to the SSID and the Sky-Q and Sky-mini boxes working
  • This stayed stable for 4 days with uninterrupted TV in the lounge and bedroom.
  • So I connected the 2 boosters and the Sky-mini box from the kitchen.  It took a bit of doing but eventually I had all 3 sky boxes delivering TV.
  • But the next day nothing worked.  None of the boxes would manually connect either.
  • Powered off the boosters and the Sky-Q and bedroom Sky-mini reconnected, but went into a loop of connecting / disconnecting.
  • Couldn’t get them to be stable until I went back to the beginning of these steps, factory reset and started again until the point of having the lounge and bedroom working.  I don’t dare try to get the kitchen working again (someone powered on a booster thinking they were being helpful and that put me back to square one again)

Does this help anyone?   I’d love to have all 3 boxes working but have resigned myself to only having iplayer in the kitchen for now ☹

This message was authored by lucasg This message was authored by: lucasg

Over the past few days, when I turn on Sky I am generally greeted with 'It looks like you do not have internet connection right now. If you're already set-up we'll keep trying to connect.' Followed with a couple more sentences about any changes to password or where to go in Settings to connect to the network. I can go access Guide and Recordings but not Apps. Sometimes it comes back.

I have accessed settings and it has a 'x' next to network connections, suggesting I have not entered a password. It states 'We can't connect to your broadband router'. Which is odd as every other device in the house is connected, suggesting the box is faulty.

Thoughts or suggestions as to my next move?

This message was authored by MJ15 This message was authored by: MJ15

This is happening to me every time I switch the tv on,, it's so frustrating. 
today it won't even allow me to confirm to reconnect, it is just stuck. 
really not impressed with skyq. 
My bedridden dads inky pleasure is his tv and we have to go through reactivating daily.

how do we prevent this from happening?

This message was authored by GazRidd This message was authored by: GazRidd

Solution, change your Sky DNS to 1.1.1.1 and like magic it worked. 

- Settings - Status - Network Connection - Network Setup - Advanced Settings - IP Settings - Set Manually - DNS Server - 1.1.1.1 - Confirm - back. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MJ15 wrote:

This is happening to me every time I switch the tv on,, it's so frustrating. 
today it won't even allow me to confirm to reconnect, it is just stuck. 
really not impressed with skyq. 
My bedridden dads inky pleasure is his tv and we have to go through reactivating daily.

how do we prevent this from happening?

Try powerlines.

This message was authored by lucasg This message was authored by: lucasg

Having arranged for Sky to send an engineer out, he identified the problem as a weak signal, even though it has been great for years. But in short, and he showed me proof, due to the signal having to travel through two floors, it required a booster box to support. He duly fitted one, showed me the improved metrics and now everything is fine. I suggest you contact Sky as could be something very similar.

This message was authored by lemondrops This message was authored by: lemondrops

I did this and it worked. However, go to switch on and complete black screen, like its frozen. Have turned off at plug, main box etc.  Nothing 🙈 

please help!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion