Discussion topic: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

This message was authored by Andrew+Nico This message was authored by: Andrew+Nico

Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

• BT Broadband working fine but Sky Q box keeps losing connection.Happened 4 times yesterday and had to reconnect and link up mini hub as well.Not a tech person and dont understand why this is happening.I have turned ECO mode off but to no difference.Very frustrating.

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Ensure BT Smart Setup is disabled.

I'd recommend splitting your SSIDs into 2.4GHz and 5GHz as the sky box will only connect to the former.

It's possible the BT router is also steering to 5GHz which will cause disconnects.  (Splitting SSIDs should prevent this unless there is a steering option)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Andrew+Nico
Topic Author
This message was authored by Andrew+Nico This message was authored by: Andrew+Nico

Thanks very much for your help but I have not got a clue how to do this.Would it possible to give me a step by step guide on how to do this at your convenience.Cheers.

This message was authored by Vickylou001 This message was authored by: Vickylou001

Im having this exact problem too literally 10 times a day!!

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @Vickylou001  an invite to chat.

This message was authored by AbiF This message was authored by: AbiF

Also have exactly the same issue, every single day, often multiple times. 

We live in a rura location and have to use mobile home broadband

Andrew+Nico
Topic Author

I got it fixed by engineer who hard wired the sky q box straight to my hub.Been fine ever since.

This message was authored by Vickylou001 This message was authored by: Vickylou001

My hub is the other side of the room from the sky Q box. 

It is soooo frustrating you are trying to watch something and it loses connection at the worst moment!

This message was authored by Graham22 This message was authored by: Graham22

I have the same problem. So annoying I am thinking of ditching Sky.

My hub us too far away from the Sky box

Why do Sky not solve this problem. You don't seem to give a damn?

This message was authored by Spitty30 This message was authored by: Spitty30

I'm having same problem and get a rude customer service agent staring you should have sky broadband abd it wouldn't happen...  I'm not being forced to change supplier just because they can't sort their end. Nothing wrong with my internet for everything else we use it for and so many customers complaining if same fault on forum so got to be something Sky's end 🤬🤬 so frustrated... fed up ringing and doing all the checks and they say it will be OK now then it happens again!!! 

Someone please help me!!! 

Unfortunately they have market dominance. There isn't anywhere else to go, really. I think Virgin don't offer TV without buying their broadband now. I contacted YouFibre, my broadband supplier, in case the issue was with them. They said update your Sky Q software and that should work. I did and so far I've not had the issue since

This message was authored by Spitty30 This message was authored by: Spitty30

I updated software and reset sky q box, turned off and back on, changed inactive to none ..  you name it I have done it but still happening. Followed all their steps its ridiculous! Next engineer is 16th Oct! 🤬 🙄🤦‍♀️

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion