Discussion topic: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

This message was authored by Graeme2205 This message was authored by: Graeme2205

Re: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

Is there a solution to this? We have 3 x Sky Q boxes and Sky broadband. One box has just started losing the connection and we have to reactivate every day, sometimes takes a few efforts. Tried all the usual restart, plug out, etc and don't have time or patience to go through this with customer service....

This message was authored by massey.l This message was authored by: massey.l

What's worked for me is disconnect the wired connection and just use WiFi, so far 2 days ok. Frustrating though as wired is best but the main box just doesn't like it

This message was authored by Gaz1 This message was authored by: Gaz1

@Graeme2205...The good news is.....yes there is a solution. the bad news....you need to go back to about page 3 of this post and from there on. There you will find the simple yet effective remedy that I posted.

I'm guessing by the fact you asked if there was a solution you have not followed the post. Your best to go through them as you will also see the invaluable advice form @Chodley who is the more technically minded amongst us and is always helping those with problems.

So if you go through the posts you will see those that have a basic issue / setup and have used the solutions advised, and also those with differing tech where further advice has been given.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@massey.l wrote:

What's worked for me is disconnect the wired connection and just use WiFi, so far 2 days ok. Frustrating though as wired is best but the main box just doesn't like it

Wow. That's the exact opposite of my experience. The networking in these boxes is an absolute mystery.

The solution of getting a range extender did not work for me I'm afraid. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@massey.l wrote:

The solution of getting a range extender did not work for me I'm afraid. 

And what happened?

It still kept dropping the connection every 10mins and eventually refused to connect at all 

@massey.lWhst range extender did you use and just to check....you did go through and set it up on your PC?

This message was authored by R_84 This message was authored by: R_84

1) Check Sat signal - SETTINGS - STATUS - SAT SIGNAL - MORE INFO --- Should say

Locked,

Sat Sig Strength 60+ (I prefer 70)

Sat Sig Quality 90

Wideband

- If you see the Strength number dipping in and out your dish is either loose, facing a tree, has a pigeon on it.

2) Check that your recordings aren't full. - If you can't even see them your hard-drive is a) full b) broken

a) If you can see them and its fine - go to step 2

b) If you can see them but its 98-100% full delete in Manage to about 75%

c) If it won't show any, reset hard drive (see Eng menu)

3) Reset the settings on your main Q (see Eng Menu)

4) Turn off 2.4 on all the mini boxes and Main !! IF YOU HAVE SKY BB ONLY !! 

5) Turn off your router for 10 minutes. 

6) Change 5g Wifi setting to 40/44 (should auto go around the settings on all boxes if they are connected otherwise check on all boxes)

7) Change the Standby mode setting to Active on All boxes. (Steer clear of NONE it means you have to turn off boxes completely to do all updates etc).

CHANGING ENGINEER SETTINGS

Push your HOME button and scroll to the word SETTINGS - Do not go into settings!!!

Whilst SETTINGS is highlighted push  0,0,1 SELECT (circular button with the dot) on the remote 

For Wi-Fi settings scroll to Network and SELECT on 2.4 and it should say OFF next to it. Then CONFIRM

To change channel go to bottom box and scroll right. Bottom option (40/44) and back to CONFIRM (It should say saving settings.

Turning off at mains helps save settings permanently.  - Do this after you've reset anything and after you've change all settings.

For resetting follow same steps for getting into Eng menu. 

Scroll to Reset - Reset settings just resets settings and will unpair your remote from the box and TV. 

Rest Hard drive - You will lose your recordings but is essential to try if you can't see anything on your recordings screen.

To repair remote - Push and hold 7&9 until you see small red light flash on top of remote 

Switch to 1&3 and follow the steps on screen.

!! TOP TIP!! Always "Find it for me" and Don't push "yes" before you have tried the remote volume.

If any of this doesn't work you can use MySky to order a replacement box or get yourself an engineer out (No Sat Signal).

Duvolo and yes, plus I also tried plugging direct into the Orbi network we have and also tried a 8 port netgear hub 

This message was authored by DLindon This message was authored by: DLindon

How do you know if your Sky Q box is in fact connecting to you main router (Vodafone Ultra Hub in my case) or to the sky booster ?

I cancelled my service and sent everything back. The engineers that came out basically said that ska Q doesn't work with Orbi on WiFi and it had to be hard wired direct only. 

This message was authored by Paul19711 This message was authored by: Paul19711

Sky q keeps dropping out of internet 😔,whyyyyyyyyyyyyy 

@Paul19711, As painstaking as it may be my friend you need to read through the posts from the beginning.

You will then see the equipment others have fault with and the solutions that been provided that have worked.

If you are then unsure  how to implement them just post with what equipment you are using and someone will help.

This message was authored by N2bax This message was authored by: N2bax

So - I've only just found this post. Putting the info here to help others and also for future when (i hope)  i fix my problem. > skip to the last paragraph for my question

My setup is a Sky Q box with 1 mini box. I had sky broadband and have had sky for 10+ years. 

The setup worked most of the time but not reliable -  the mini box was quite flaky and would judder and be unwatchable and then just stop working. Maybe once a week. 

>About once every 4-6 weeks the Qbox would lose connection to the router and then refuse to connect - rendering both the Q box and the mini box useless. The only way to get it working is to go through a process of turning every piece of sky kit off, and then turning on the router, then the Q box then the mini box. Whole process takes about 30 mins.... truly tedious. Many calls to sky and mostly just different versions of turn it off and on again. Been like this for 2-3 years and got frustrated so decided to try something else. To give them credit they were pretty good on the phone and polite and nice. Just didn't ever fix the root cause. Fixed the issue while on the phone and then as soon as you hang up pretty soon "Dad! Sky's broken again"...

The issues with the mini box were mainly in the evenings when the broadband was under load. Sky in my area is pretty bad for mbps speed so decided to get a much quicker Broadband connection. Got 5x faster Broadband with another provider. My thinking is that the faster connection won't have the same issues. 

So - did it work. Well so far no! I have super fast broadband now all over the house but the Q box now drops the connection to my router 2-3 times a day. It connects then drops. picks up and drops. Decides its connected for 10 mins and then stops. Mini box is pretty much useless at this point.

So my question is - now I've found this post I'm going to try some of the fixes here. One thing I'm thinking about is switching to a wired connection... Are people finding wired is more reliable than wifi? 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion