Discussion topic: Sky Q On demand failed,location check failed - Starlink

This message was authored by Wilko This message was authored by: Wilko

Sky Q On demand failed,location check failed - Starlink

This problem has just started to happen within the last week. I am using Starlink as my ISP. The assigned IP by Starlink is coming back as a UK based IP address. So why is Sky throwing this error? Its their software that must be checking the IP address pool. There is no point in 'rebooting' routers. Or turning things on and off again because this won't solve the issue.

Time for a rumble with Sky.

Moderator note: Amended Subject to better reflect query

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Re: Failed location check

Posted by a Sky employee

Morning all,

I can get someone to look at this, could you private message me your IP address?

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by dcbe947 This message was authored by: dcbe947

Re: Sky Q On demand failed,location check failed!

This started to happen last weekend with my Starlink ( UK) too. Called Sky, senmt a new box, same problem again...no demand and no download. Speaking to them this afternoon but got cut off, testing my patience.

Wilko
Topic Author

Its all Skys configuration. They do not have Starlinks full address pool in their list of UK IP addresses. Its their software that is issuing the error message, therefore its Sky's issue. No new boxes or reboots or engineers visits is going to solve the problem. 

I thought that might be the case, I just dont undersatnd why it has worked perfectly well for 2 years and now has an issue, many thanks for your information and expertise. 

I really dont know how to get them to add my IP adress though 

Wilko
Topic Author

As it happens... I attempted to access a 'UK Only' website this afternoon and it threw an error basically saying I wasnt in the UK.. so perhaps it is Starlink after all. I have raised a ticket with Starlink this afternoon. I'll keep you posted.

Wilko
Topic Author

An update: When I checked my WAN IP address (209.198.129.246) with iplocation.net, it showed the location of Ukraine, however other databases showed UK. This morning, the location data is now correct and showing as UK. Sky is now behaving and I can now download shows. Seems to be fixed.. for now. 

I have checked mine, it is asserting its a UK address. However, I note that my TV is linked to a node ( private) and not the main router. May this be the issue?

Wilko
Topic Author

OK.. After finally getting through to someone who knew their subject matter.. here is the reponse I have from Starlink support.

"Paul, Thank you for confirming. This is a reported and known issue at the moment. 

You can attempt to use a free VPN (Such as Opera Web Browser) as a work around in the moment. 

I do not know an exact time frame on this fix, but we lok forward to offering a solution. "

So... I think a possible solution is to reboot the Starlink (not just the router) via the app and hope that it reallocates you a WAN IP address that IS a UK registered IP. Its an 'administration' issue for Starlink to solve.

That is of a great help, I too have now contacted Starlink in the same manner you have, and have asked to communicate with a person not the bot.

Rebooting unsuccessful.

Many thanks for your help

This message was authored by Joe9072 This message was authored by: Joe9072

Did you get it resolved, same thing happened to me and got a new box Friday and the same problem. Also have a Starlink. Thanks

Wilko
Topic Author

It's not a fault with your Sky box. 
You need to reboot your Starlink dishy (not the router). This will then hopefully allocate you a WAN IP address which Sky recognise as a UK based address. 

I rebooted Starlink via the app, made sure the TV was li led to router and not a node and all working ok now. Hope this helps

This message was authored by Joe9072 This message was authored by: Joe9072

I will try it - Thanks

This message was authored by Fester2066 This message was authored by: Fester2066

Failed location check

I have sky Q for years & with starlink broadband for a year. . It's hardwired. I have a deco mesh system &  the Q is  hardwired to the nearest node  I used to occasionally get a failed location rejection which was annoying but livable

the past weekend every single download I have had a failed location error.. after contacting Sky they blamed Starlink. Starlink do not offer changes in IP addresses end of. I have a Sky Q box which I can only record and watch live tv on. I really don't know what else to do.  I have rebooted both the sky & broadband on several occasions I even dug out an old sky booster to see if it would work with that which didn't work either.

Any help most welcome. I am not tech savvy but I'm not clueless either. 

This message was authored by ANGS This message was authored by: ANGS

Re: Failed location check

I also have Starlink (and have had it since it was first available) and have just started to get this problem with my SKY Q!

SKY better sort this pronto otherwise I will be cancelling my contract!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion