Discussion topic: Sky Q On demand failed,location check failed - Starlink

This message was authored by Raider999 This message was authored by: Raider999

Re: Failed location check

I think my first port of call would be Starlink - have they changed anything recently? 

This message was authored by Joe9072 This message was authored by: Joe9072

Re: Sky Q On demand failed,location check failed!

I spoke with Sky again and they said to talk to Starlink. Going round in circles and not sure why this has suddenly happened after 3 years. Going to talk to an IT expert tomorrow to check my router settings as have a Draytek connected to Starlink. Will up date if I get any joy. Frustrated!

Wilko
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wilko This message was authored by: Wilko

Your Draytek router is fine. Your Dishy has allocated a WAN IP address that Sky doesn't know about. So Starlink need to publish these new addresses so that Sky can recognise them. You can reboot your Dishy (via the app) and hope that you pick up a new WAN IP address that Sky knows about. As Starlink continues to expand this problem will become more prevalent.

Re booted a few times now and still the same. Will keep trying - thank you for the advice.

What I dont ubderstand is sometimes the downloads starts and gets half way through, then come up with the message everyone else is getting.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Maybe something about the way the satellites route traffic dynamically

I'll escalate this in case the online team here can update the geolocation database.

watch out for a blue / red chat bubble in the bottom left when they pick it up.

Wilko
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wilko This message was authored by: Wilko

The list of Starlink WAN IP addresses and their assigned locations is here 

This message was authored by mlofty This message was authored by: mlofty

Was also suffering with this issue, also a Starlink customer. Rebooted my dish (just the dish not the router) received a new IP address (the old one started 216.128., the new one is 145.224.) and everything is well again. My suggestion for those for whom a reboot is not working is to keep trying until it works: It seems to me that a range of IP addresses aren't working but many others are. Good luck!

GENIUS! It worked after a whole week of scratching my head. Thanks to everyone and mlofty. 

This message was authored by Jules53 This message was authored by: Jules53

Re: Download failed - Failed location check

I am using Starlink for internet. Connects to my Sky q box ok  it using on demand it errors with' location check failed' Starlink app shows me in uk. Sky couldn't help. Thanks 

This message was authored by Ripc0rd This message was authored by: Ripc0rd

For anyone else searching for answers.. I've just had an incredibly frustrating call with a Sky tech after having the same issue.  I've been a Starlink customer for over a year and only recently started seeing this happen. call went terribly,  the tech basically told me it's an issue with Starlink, and that I need to call them (this is incorrect) I challenged, and explained that it was Sky who had an incomplete or incorrect database, and have implemented geofencing incorrectly.  My IP shows as UK in almost every other systemglobally. the tech tried to weasel out saying if I could get a fixed IP he could do me a favour and add it to the database.  (Again, incorrect) Come on Sky.. while I understand you want to protect your content, you need to step up and do a proper job of it, not use some outdated IP range data which isolated a bunch of customers who choose to use Satellite services (because ISP's like you don't want to run the fibre). At very least, if you don't want to fix your lazy geofencing, train your techs properly.  The guy I was on with started waffling rubbish about DNS, cacheing and other nonsensical garbage to try and convince me it was a Starlink issue and not Sky. i got things partially working (downloads started then failed half way) after rebooting the Starlink dish a couple of times.   I'll be calling to cancel my services (seeing as you're blocking me from using them) if this isn't sorted pronto.  

It's not Starlink.  Despite what Sky techs will tell you.  This is your IP being blocked by Sky because they don't have it in their Database as a UK IP Address. its lazy coding to geofence their content, and they haven't done it properly.  The only option you have is to reboot dishy until you get an IP address that Sky does have in their database. I'm losing patience with them, the support team are abysmal, blaming this on Starlink.. (It's not a Starlink issue, Sky need to update their geofence with all UK IP space) I Will be cancelling if Sky continue to prevent me from accessing content that I'm paying for.

Same, also using Starlink.  Very frustrating call with the tech team who at one point suggested it was DNS (It's not)

rebooting dishy seems to have a 20-30% chance of fixing, although it seems to fail again shortly after.

i called though to cancel my services, ended up on hold for 40 mins while the retentions team tried to speak to someone in tech support before I got bored and hung up.  Going to try to go through the cancellation process again tomorrow.

This message was authored by Quinn4 This message was authored by: Quinn4

We contacted Starlink in the end and within 24hrs of them receiving my message, they changed our IP address and Sky started working again. You can contact Starlink through the messages option on the app

This message was authored by Fester2066 This message was authored by: Fester2066

Thanks for the information. I was beginning to think it was a sky issue. My Starlink address is showing Crawley (I'm  just outside Bristol) 

I have managed to get a sky engineer out later this month. I don't imagine they can fix it but I feel I have to escalate this. I have been with sky over 15 years and if this can't be fixed I shall also be forced to cancel my sky subscription as most everything I watch needs to be downloaded to the box.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion