Discussion topic: Sky Q Multiroom

This message was authored by Pam12 This message was authored by: Pam12

Sky Q Multiroom

Hi, 

We have Sky Q Multiroom. We have now had this 2 years. 

We had the minibox originally in the living room as the main box was in the kitchen (the other side of the house). 

The TV in the living room always stuttered, we had an engineer out and he installed a booster box. 

This did nothing so we left sky broadband and joined another company. 

2 years later and umpteen phone calls I have tried to use it in the bedroom above the living room and its as bad as it was to begin with. Its never changed. 

I have reset it, rebooted it, rebooted the network etc but nothing. I am told from Sky the broadband signal is too weak so I needed to buy a booster. They will not provide one as I am not with Sky Broadband. 

I have had a WiFi extender upstairs (even though the WiFi is fine with every other device) and this has changed nothing. Yet more money wasted. 

Does anybody have any idea, our house isn't massive, its not small either but how the hell do they get Sky Q in a mantion etc if I cant get it at my house?

Would love some help, I'm reluctant to join sky broadband as it was poor to begin with but I'm not not sure what the hell to do for the best. 

Thanks 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Sky Q Multiroom

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Er

ok starting at the beginning...

why was changing broadband supposed to help with the Sky mini to Q connection?

And did it?

You should be able to get a Q Booster no matter what broadband you have. But there's another type of booster specific to Sky BB.

Have you tried powerline adapters?

and last point (for now) - the mini can only do HD. The Q can do UHD. So most people put the Q with the main TV. Probably not the one in your kitchen?

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Pam12 As you're not with Sky BB, the quality of your WIFI upstairs is irrelevant. Your Sky Q Mini Box doesn't use your 3rd party broadband, it uses the mesh created by your Main Sky Q box. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@oj01 wrote:

@Pam12 As you're not with Sky BB, the quality of your WIFI upstairs is irrelevant. Your Sky Q Mini Box doesn't use your 3rd party broadband, it uses the mesh created by your Main Sky Q box. 

This is key

When I first switched (over 6 years go now) I had problems with drop outs every night on my Mini which is in my bedroom almost directly above the Main box downstairs. (My home wifi is BT)

I found jjust moving the mini box a foot or so to one side and also switching off the wifi on an AV amp it was sitting on top of cured my problem.

So do try just moving the mini box slightly and look for any any possible causes of interference - we know DECT landline phones can cause problems.

Pam12
Topic Author

Morning,

I have no knowledge when it comes to broadband and things like this so after I took a package of broadband and TV with sky, I assumed I would be able to stream on the mini box with no issues as that's what they told us. This never happened to I thought maybe the broadband isn't all that so we left and went with a different provider not knowing if it 100% help but didn't know what else to do. 

I have used one of the plug in WiFi extenders, is there something else I should have used? 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Pam12 wrote:

Morning,

I have no knowledge when it comes to broadband and things like this so after I took a package of broadband and TV with sky, I assumed I would be able to stream on the mini box with no issues as that's what they told us. This never happened to I thought maybe the broadband isn't all that so we left and went with a different provider not knowing if it 100% help but didn't know what else to do. 

I have used one of the plug in WiFi extenders, is there something else I should have used? 

Hi @Pam12

What is your plug in WiFi extender?

Mini boxes will only work with Sky Q devices if using WiFi.   They will not connect to 3rd party WiFi.

The mini needs to connect to your Main Q box if using WiFi.

If this is not possible then you will need a Sky Q booster to position midway between your main Q and your mini.

Sky are obliged to give you a Q booster for this purpose free of charge.

Try connecting the mini again.

First try rebooting the main Q box and then when this is completely back up and running reboot the mini.
To reboot press Standby on your Sky Q remote (if the box responds to the remote), and then switch off and unplug at the mains.
Wait at least 30 secs and then Plug back in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear and the front led to turn Amber. Then wait for 30 secs before you press Home on your Sky Q remote or if this is not working press the standby button on the front of the Q box (Amber led)

note: some features may take up to 5 minutes to return.

Reboot the mini as above.
If the mini still does not connect try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

Failing all of the above you may need a Sky Q WiFi Booster to position midway between your main Q box and the mini and you will need to contact Sky directly.

Pam12
Topic Author

Hi, 

Thanks for the info.

The extender is a netgear wifi extender. It was returned as it hadn't solved my issue. 

Would I be able to borrow a booster off someone with Sky Q Multiroom to help solve the issue or are they assigned to a certain box?

I was on the phone for 58 minutes the other week arguing but as I dont have Skys broadband I cannot have a booster. 

Tbh I had one when the engineer came out but it made no difference at all. 

I'm at a loss, confused and fed up with the whole thing. 

Pam12
Topic Author

I have broadband with another supplier. If a Booster doesn't work with a different suppliers router how do I ever get the box to connect to the mini box when it is at the opposite end of the house? 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Pam12 wrote:

I have broadband with another supplier. If a Booster doesn't work with a different suppliers router how do I ever get the box to connect to the mini box when it is at the opposite end of the house? 

A generic wifi extender (or a full mesh) connected to your router, if not on sky bb, cannot connect your mini to the Q. It wants a direct connection.

so assuming the distance and obstructions are such that a reliable direct connection is not possible then you, like me, have a few options;

1. Use ethernet.

2. Use powerlines

3. plug an extender via ethernet into the mini, connect it to the router and connect the Q to the router via ethernet. That will fool them into thinking they have a direct ethernet connection.

4. Do 3, but with wifi mesh nodes

5. Put a Q booster half way between the mini and Q and use it to bridge the connection. They are not assigned to a box and like I said, Sky do provide these. I have one though I'm not using it.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Pam12 wrote:

Hi @Pam12 

I have escalated your post to Sky.
You may receive an email or a private message inviting you to have a private conversation on the Community with a Sky Expert.

Look out for a chat bubble at the bottom of your screen inviting you to a chat
The link below explains how the escalation process works

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147?

As I previously posted Sky are obliged to provide Sky Q boosters to solve connectivity issues.

Pam12
Topic Author

Thats very helpful thank you. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. 

Thank you. 

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @Pam12 an invite to chat.

Pam12
Topic Author

Hi, 

Please could you refresh the chat? Unfortunately I was away and was unable to sort it. 

Thanks again. 

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @Pam12 an invite to chat.

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Pam12 

An invite was sent but there was no response within 48 hours so it has automatically closed.

If you still need help with this please let us know by posting on the forum again and we will get it escalated through to us.

Thanks
Tom

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion