Discussion topic: Sky Q Apps pixelating

This message was authored by themanlikdave This message was authored by: themanlikdave

Re: My tv is pixelating regularly when I watch through any apps on sky. Netflix won’t load. But when

I'd lean towards it being a hardware issue. It doesn't happen when viewing via the same apps on our smart televisions so it's not an internet issue. The box is hardwired so it's not a WiFi issue ( plus it doesn't happen when viewing the apps on televisions in other rooms connected via WiFi), I've tried the software update/app refresh, so that just leaves the hardware.

This message was authored by Mad+James This message was authored by: Mad+James

Re: My tv is pixelating regularly when I watch through any apps on sky. Netflix won’t load. But when

Have SKY had the courtesy to respond & resolve this obvious issue yet? Having the same recent issues where intermittent pixelating occurs when watching Flix, Prime, Apple & ITVX via SKY apps. Yet no issues with pixelation when watching non app channels via SKY.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@davey-lad wrote:

High user load on what though? It's a problem across multiple different streaming services and not everyone affected is a sky broadband customer (I'm with Virgin). 

My personal opinion is this is hardware related. Sky have added so much crap to these boxes over the years I wouldn't be surprised if they're at the limit resource/spec wise. You just have to run the ITVX app to see how bad it is. 

I have no way to prove this however 

To be fair to Sky, The ITV App being poor is most probably down to ITV. I used to work for them and they really are poor in App design.

I've only just come across this thread but it made me realise that we've possibly had the same (very slight) issue although I think we've only used Netflix recently. We're hardwired via VM broadband.

@themanlikdave wrote:

I'd lean towards it being a hardware issue. It doesn't happen when viewing via the same apps on our smart televisions so it's not an internet issue. The box is hardwired so it's not a WiFi issue ( plus it doesn't happen when viewing the apps on televisions in other rooms connected via WiFi), I've tried the software update/app refresh, so that just leaves the hardware.

It's definitely not your broadband connection although I don't know if all of the Apps don't first go through a Sky server for authentication purposes before then being passed on to Netflix, Disney+ etc servers?

A couple of thoughts that may or may not make a difference.

Have you disabled the WiFi entirely from within the hidden engineers menu? Settings > 001 > Enter

If so or if that makes no difference, can you re-enable it and try a WiFi connection (plug the ethernet cable out as well).

Is there any sort of pattern to the issues such as only at certain times of day, although I'm aware that evenings are going to be the most used time periods anyway?

This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Re: Sky Q Apps pixelating

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

Thanks for using Community to voice this issue 🙂

This has been passed along to the relevant teams to get looked into and once I have more details to share with you on this I'll update the thread accordingly.

I'm marking this as the answer (for now) just so the message itself is pushed to the top of the thread for any new users visiting to see. 

Thanks,

Daniel
Community Moderator
This message was authored by Aimeec1 This message was authored by: Aimeec1

I have been getting the same issues 😔 

Tried the updates , reset box and still problem persists.

Sky haven't been helpful. 

Really wish this would get sorted out. 😔

This message was authored by EightLegs This message was authored by: EightLegs

This has been happening to me for 2 weeks now too.  2 calls to the Helpline.  Resetted the Apps option twice.  Resetted the box once.  Turned off the router twice.  Turned off the Q box twice.  Signed out of the 2 relevant app.  All under instruction from the Helpline. Still no better.   Doesn't seem the Helpline actually know this is a problem happening to many viewers,  

This message was authored by ak777 This message was authored by: ak777

Surely sky must have records of people calling up about this issue? So surely Sky need to acknowledge there is a problem?? 
could it be a version of the boxes which were released at a certain time? Firmware update that's caused it? 
Roll back to when the issues started? 
surely we deserve to know before we keep paying for these services which are affected? 
Ultimately that's probably the issue, not identifying it to avoid credits and paying out to solve the issue! 

This message was authored by davey-lad This message was authored by: davey-lad

They have acknowledged it.. See the earlier "answer" by Sky admin

This message was authored by Mclan This message was authored by: Mclan

Same here too.  Only just started happening last week or so.  Only on apps not Sky Q channels.  I Gb Fibre to house and wired Ethernet to sky q. 

This message was authored by mroute This message was authored by: mroute

Same issue here.

I have stopped using Sky apps for the time being at least until they resolve this issue. 

I am hard wired 1gb BB from Plus net, TV apps working fine so this has to be a sky Q box issue. It seems to not be affecting any of the Q minis= boxes. 

Done all the updates and reset all apps to no avail. 

@Skyplease sort this. 

I've been having the same issues over the same time period. Also loss of signal to dish. Have an engineer booked for Monday. 

This message was authored by INDIGO75 This message was authored by: INDIGO75

My loss of signals appeared tonight too!

This message was authored by diggerddodar This message was authored by: diggerddodar

Same issue and tried all the suggested fixes?

This message was authored by INDIGO75 This message was authored by: INDIGO75

Oh no... Forget that! All the pulling in and out of the Q box, my satellite leads had come loose! 😅

Netflix still **bleep** though

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion