Discussion topic: Problem with sky q and bt discs - advice pls

This message was authored by LouiseThompson80 This message was authored by: LouiseThompson80

Problem with sky q and bt discs - advice pls

We have sky Q  (with two mini boxes upstairs) and a BT smart hub 2.

When we are just using the smart hub 2, the connection to sky Q is fine and solid, but whenever I try to introduce the BT discs in other rooms, the sky Q connection drops constantly.

I am not very technical but I assume the sky Q main box is getting confused between the smart hub and the BT disc and doesn't know which to connect to.

My smart hub is fairly close to the sky q main box, but isn't close enough to be connected by ethernet. The bt disc is much further away in a room upstairs.

I spoke with someone at BT today, as we have tried to make do without the disc, but we really need it to be able to get Wi-Fi in the back bedroom which is in an extension.

They advised that they will send me out an additional BT disc, which I can place right behind the sky Q box and then connect the two by ethernet.

I wasn't overly convinced that the person on the BT live chat knew what they were talking about, but can anyone advise whether this will work please?

if I connect the sky Q box to a new BT disc by ethernet, will the mini boxes upstairs still connect wirelessly to sky Q ok?

And also, once I've connected the sky Q box to the new disc via ethernet, do I have to go into settings anywhere (either sky or BT)  and make any changes ?

I really hope this sorts out my issue… I would just switch to sky broadband, but I really do need the BT disc to get Wi-Fi around the whole house.

Many thanks.

All Replies

LouiseThompson80
Topic Author
This message was authored by LouiseThompson80 This message was authored by: LouiseThompson80

Re: Problem with sky q and bt discs - advice pls

Or if anyone on here has any other alternative advice, that would also be gratefully received. The lady on the live chat kept telling me to go into the sky settings and just tell the sky Q to connect to the bt hub rather than the bt disc, but I had no idea how to do that. I tried to explain that when I connect a device to Wi-Fi in our house, I just select the name of our Wi-Fi, and the device decides whether it connects to the smart hub or the disc. I don't have any control over that. It's all the same Wi-Fi connection under one name... the hub doesn't have one name and the disk another?!

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @LouiseThompson80 

Apart from connecting the Main Sky Q box by Ethernet to the Complete WiFi disc (which works perfectly) I would change the 5 GHz channel on the Smart Hub 2 to 48. This will move your BT network away from the Sky Q network to help prevent any clashes.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hub

LouiseThompson80
Topic Author

Thanks, I'm a bit scared to play with the hub settings if the extra disc via Ethernet will fix it. Do you know if the mini boxes will still work ok? Do I need to change any settings anywhere?

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

@LouiseThompson80 wrote:

Thanks, I'm a bit scared to play with the hub settings if the extra disc via Ethernet will fix it. Do you know if the mini boxes will still work ok? Do I need to change any settings anywhere?

Hi @LouiseThompson80   If you are scared to change the channel on the BT Bub then turning off the 2.4 GHz band on the Sky Q boxes is considerably more difficult. This would stop the Sky Q Main box negotiating between WiFi and Ethernet connection for the BT connection. Increasing the gap between the Sky Q Mesh (channel 36) and your BT WiFi (Channel 48) would be the first thing I would try. It is quick, easy and reversible.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Best configuration is to have all Q's connected to a BT dish via Ethernet.

You can disable WiFi completely on the Q boxes and let the BT mesh handle the backhaul.  ('Settings 0 0 1 enter' menu)

Connecting via WiFi will not be stable.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
LouiseThompson80
Topic Author

current settings attached - can you advise what to change from here please? Not even sure my 5 ghz is on 🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_6766.jpeg

Hi @LouiseThompson80   Yes, you have the 5 GHz band off!  Do you have the Complete WiFi discs (black) or the Whole Home discs (white)? If you have the Complete WiFi discs then they communicate with the SH2 using the 5 GHz band and you have it off. This could be the issue.

LouiseThompson80
Topic Author

We have complete Wi-Fi with the black discs. Weirdly though, when I clicked into settings further it said that the "office disc" (that's the one upstairs) was connected to 5ghz, even though it appears to be off! Every single other device in the house is listed as being connected to 2.4. So please can you tell me what I need to do in idiot proof steps please?

I think I remember splitting into 5 and 2.4 a couple of years ago, when my son had a Wi-Fi lightbulb or something that wouldn't connect to whatever the original setting was.

But then I thought I read on another post that the smart hub 2 couldn't be split into 5 and 2.4, so now I'm even more confused!

Hi @LouiseThompson80 

It may be time to move over to the BT community to help you with your SH2. I would switch on 5 GHz and set it to channel 48. You can always reverse it.  https://community.bt.com  There are plenty of people there with Sky Q as well.

LouiseThompson80
Topic Author

Ok thanks, I'll have a look, in the meantime do I need to switch my 2.4 to another channel, or leave that as it is?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion