Discussion topic: No HDMI Signal Every Time Sky Box is Switched On

This message was authored by Jasminoh This message was authored by: Jasminoh

Re: No HDMI Signal Every Time Sky Box is Switched On

I was typing my last reply while waiting for the box to reboot.
Just now, we were watching a downloaded catch up programme and we lost HDMI. I unplugged the HDMIs at both ends and replugged, also unplugged the samsung cable box to the tv that carries all the signals up. Nothing, our only way back is to reboot the sky box every time.

I will try turning off the HDMI control now and see how that behaves

This message was authored by handyandy72 This message was authored by: handyandy72

I've ended up putting the Sky box on a smart plug so I can reboot it easily.  Pathetic really.  Raising it with Sky gets you nowhere in my experience

oldgeek
Topic Author
This message was authored by oldgeek This message was authored by: oldgeek

@Jasminoh Since switching off HDMI control, I have had no further issues, so I would hope this also works for you.

Some sort of Samsung 4K Tv
Sky Q Thingy and some mini thingies
Gigafast 1Gb FIbre by Youfibre
This message was authored by handyandy72 This message was authored by: handyandy72

I'm the same.  After turning HDMI control off, it also resolved a long standing issue with lip sync on live UHD events which Sky had tried for over a year to resolve.  

I've put the smart plug on to make it easier to reboot it as no matter how many boxes I have had over the years they all need rebooting far too often

This message was authored by Superjacksky This message was authored by: Superjacksky

Hi

i also have this issue with a brand new Sony a80 Bravia, and sky q 2TB

Had it before with an LG, but a good few years ago. Did need to turn off all features for hdmi control on tv and sky box for it not to have issue. Funnily enough didn't happen with a brand new Hisense U8, but I did suffer audio loss randomly with that tv so it went back.  Smart plug is an option but I'd be surprised if the harddrive would like a daily reboot. 

Don't get me started on lipsync and Sonos arc bars. Luck of the draw, the LG was awful for it. Hisense and Sony been ok. 

Would be nice if sky could sort the hdmi control at least, Sky Q is an awesome system but lacks in the technical aspects and sky go hiding / finger pointing. 

After turning off HDMI control, still the same issues.

Sky Engineer coming tomorrow. Will update with the result.

And then I'll contact them about the internet connectivity issues that started since switching over.

This message was authored by Superjacksky This message was authored by: Superjacksky

Ahhh the internet connectivity. Another corker. 

sky q hates mesh's that are provided by third party. Takes agggggeeesss for it to settle - if you replace the box, you def need to delete the old box from your mesh otherwise it causes carnage. I lost patience with my replacement box losing connection and just bought a node specifically for them to Ethernet in and then the node jumps on the mesh. Worked fine since, but £60 I didn't want to spend. 

id just love for a tech reviewer to live with sky q in a house that has a modicum of tech, rather than just attaching the box to a tv they also have on review, browsing the menu, watching some UHD without a soundbar and awarding it 10stars. 

Moving slightly off topic, but just to give a reply..
I don't use the mesh. I have Ubiquiti unifi access points hard wired in.
My issue is simply that the router randomly reboots. Often.. Since it was first delivered last year.
I went from BT Fiber with no issues to Sky simply for cost. The speed is not as good on the speedtest site as it was with BT and the router reboots are frustrating. As is trying to resolve it. New Years resolution is to call them and get it sorted. (a new router that doesn't randomly reboot)

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jasminoh wrote:

Moving slightly off topic, but just to give a reply..
I don't use the mesh. I have Ubiquiti unifi access points hard wired in.
My issue is simply that the router randomly reboots. Often.. Since it was first delivered last year.
I went from BT Fiber with no issues to Sky simply for cost. The speed is not as good on the speedtest site as it was with BT and the router reboots are frustrating. As is trying to resolve it. New Years resolution is to call them and get it sorted. (a new router that doesn't randomly reboot)

can't you just use your own router?

can't I just use my own router.
sure if I send more money at the issue when really I'm already paying for a router that is faulty.

Anyway, back on topic of the New Sky Q box playing up.

Engineer came on Tuesday, Marc, a good one, some fiddling, some checking. Ultimately swapped the box out for a new one. Lots of chat about the issues, but the result was what I was aiming for, a new box.
SInce then there hasn't been an issue, if it happens again, I'll post, but if you don't hear from me then a new box solved all the issues.
Marc was also kind enough to look into the router issues, he swapped that out too. Also no issues since being swapped out, and when wired directly in i picked up 850ish Mbps. I was only managing 600 or so on the old one. Sure it changes all the time but I was a frequent checker. Interesting the the box always shows itself connecting a full speed.

so, for now, all issues resolved by swapping out two faulty devices, very unfortunate for me, but after persistence, fixed. 

@Superjacksky wrote:

Ahhh the internet connectivity. Another corker. 

sky q hates mesh's that are provided by third party. Takes agggggeeesss for it to settle - if you replace the box, you def need to delete the old box from your mesh otherwise it causes carnage. I lost patience with my replacement box losing connection and just bought a node specifically for them to Ethernet in and then the node jumps on the mesh. Worked fine since, but £60 I didn't want to spend. 

id just love for a tech reviewer to live with sky q in a house that has a modicum of tech, rather than just attaching the box to a tv they also have on review, browsing the menu, watching some UHD without a soundbar and awarding it 10stars. 

This is what I did. Re-used one I already had though. Solved so many problems.

@Jasminoh I've never used ISP provided routers. They are universally crap. Mine cost about £30 (ethernet only TPLink) and has been rock solid.

This message was authored by portraitrepairs This message was authored by: portraitrepairs

I have fixed it, well for me anyway. Mine is a Sony so you can rule out it being a Samsung only issue. Mine is that bad now that I can get it to do it almost every time I turn the TV off and back on again. Anyway touch wood I have found a fix that works for me and you won't have to loose your auto HDMI control that will turn back over to Sky when finished with an app from the TV etc.  Anyway the fix for me is I don't turn off the Sky box and just turn off the TV by holding the power button on the Q remote and to turn on I just hold down the power button till the TV comes on and as I said touch wood it works every time and no more having TV on but no Sky. Hope this helps as it is very annoying...

This message was authored by johnromiley This message was authored by: johnromiley

Hey Guys. I've been having this problem for a while now with my Samsung TV and sky Q. Mainly with my 2tb not the mini boxes. I upgraded to sky stream which has a whole host of new problems but it did present me with the idea that it's my TV not sky as much. I've gone back to Sky Q now and turned off HDMI control on the sky 2tb box and also on the TV. At the moment it's working great. I power up the TV and 2 seconds later the picture comes on. I'll post back on here in a few weeks to let you know if it's fixed it. For now turning HDMI CEC off both has worked. 

BTW. If anyone from sky reads this. Please add it to the list of problems. It's really frustrating to read your forums about problems that "Engineers" (loose term!) don't see any issue with. Open dialog about what issues are been solved by sky would be nice. What are you working on to fix or create new features would be interesting to see. Most software developers do this and I'm sure it will be somewhere internally. So were no sat here paying £100 plus per month for a service we have no idea on the road map. Might be just me. 🙂 

@johnromiley wrote:

Hey Guys. I've been having this problem for a while now with my Samsung TV and sky Q. Mainly with my 2tb not the mini boxes. I upgraded to sky stream which has a whole host of new problems but it did present me with the idea that it's my TV not sky as much. I've gone back to Sky Q now and turned off HDMI control on the sky 2tb box and also on the TV. At the moment it's working great. I power up the TV and 2 seconds later the picture comes on. I'll post back on here in a few weeks to let you know if it's fixed it. For now turning HDMI CEC off both has worked. 

BTW. If anyone from sky reads this. Please add it to the list of problems. It's really frustrating to read your forums about problems that "Engineers" (loose term!) don't see any issue with. Open dialog about what issues are been solved by sky would be nice. What are you working on to fix or create new features would be interesting to see. Most software developers do this and I'm sure it will be somewhere internally. So were no sat here paying £100 plus per month for a service we have no idea on the road map. Might be just me. 🙂 

Pretty sure there's nowt on the roadmap for Q. You are getting what's there for your ton a month and that's not going to change much.

This message was authored by AOB58 This message was authored by: AOB58

Problem also happens with LG TVs too

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion