Discussion topic: No HDMI Signal Every Time Sky Box is Switched On

oldgeek
Topic Author
This message was authored by oldgeek This message was authored by: oldgeek

Re: No HDMI Signal Every Time Sky Box is Switched On

If you press home, select settings, setup, then Audio Visual. HDMI control is 2nd from bottom.

Some sort of Samsung 4K Tv
Sky Q Thingy and some mini thingies
Gigafast 1Gb FIbre by Youfibre
oldgeek
Topic Author

I do have an amplifier with HDMI, but I have severe to profound hearing loss, and use a dedicated audio streamer and audio distribution switch. that sends audio directly to my hearing Aids. This device uses optical connections, so I route my audio from all of my AV devices through the optical distribution switch, then an output from this goes to my TV streamer.

My Harmony remote has given me years of service, but Logitech no longer update their database, so my newish Samsung TV is not supported. Thankfully, it still let's me manually assign buttons to functions using the learning mode. I do get the feeling this will all stop working one day though.

This message was authored by handyandy72 This message was authored by: handyandy72

Mine is an LG so defo a Sky problem 

This message was authored by Ecosse This message was authored by: Ecosse

For all here, this is a customer-driven portal.   Only admins can escalate to Sky employees in the community but you are largely speaking to customers like yourself here.

To contact Sky, go to this link: https://www.sky.com/help/home

Scroll to the very bottom of the page and now select the Need More Help dropdown, this will lead to a phone contact.

Ignore the automated messages, just wait for an advisor

Good luck.

====================================================
Samsung UE49MU7070XX - Samsung MS550 Soundbar+ with 9000S Rears
Sky Q 2Tb + 3 Minis - BT Full Fibre 900
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@handyandy72 wrote:

Mine is an LG so defo a Sky problem 

Interesting!

This message was authored by C.D.K. This message was authored by: C.D.K.

This has started around August 2023. 

But only if the eco switch off kicks in

When sky switches off at night either due to no input for a time at night. The tv remains on. 

Switching on the sky box next morning, triggers the tv via Anynet. But then the tv reports no signal from HDMI1. So I feel the tv recognises the data connection triggering, but there is no video signal. 

So far I have unplugged the sky box, but nothing.  I have even reset and had to retune the tv.

After a number of ON/OFFs of both units, 

something seems to trigger the video signal and every thing is fine till the next time.

I am very careful to make sure the SkyQ does not switch off automatically. But sometimes I'm out of the room and the the problem occurs 

Either the hdmi output on sky box goes to sleep or it somehow resets/disables the HDMI input on the tv. 

This only started happening since around August 2023 maybe after a sky update. 

Very frustrating 

@C.D.K. wrote:

This has started around August 2023. 

But only if the eco switch off kicks in

When sky switches off at night either due to no input for a time at night. The tv remains on. 

Switching on the sky box next morning, triggers the tv via Anynet. But then the tv reports no signal from HDMI1. So I feel the tv recognises the data connection triggering, but there is no video signal. 

So far I have unplugged the sky box, but nothing.  I have even reset and had to retune the tv.

After a number of ON/OFFs of both units, 

something seems to trigger the video signal and every thing is fine till the next time.

I am very careful to make sure the SkyQ does not switch off automatically. But sometimes I'm out of the room and the the problem occurs 

Either the hdmi output on sky box goes to sleep or it somehow resets/disables the HDMI input on the tv. 

This only started happening since around August 2023 maybe after a sky update. 

Very frustrating 

Doesn't the TV also auto-standby?

This message was authored by JamesH1 This message was authored by: JamesH1

Does anyone have a fix for this? I'm still seeing consistently seeing this issues on my Sky Q mini box. It's clearly an issue with the Sky Q mini box because I instantly see the "Hello" welcome screen the moment I restart the mini box. 

oldgeek
Topic Author

The only thing I did to resolve my issue, was to switch off HDMI cintrol in settings menu. I regard it as a workaround though. You will need to manually select the source if you have more than one HDMI port in use, but it did fix it.

This message was authored by spacehopper This message was authored by: spacehopper

Came across this thread after experiencing the same issue with the new Sky Q 2 TB box.

As someone else has mentioned, it isn't Samsung specific. I have a new Sony TV.

It seems that others have contacted Sky about this but I would hazard a guess that, if I contact them about it, this will be the first they have heard about it and will ask me to reboot, reset etc.

It seems to me that the product has not really been tested properly. It's a fundamental feature that many users want.

Anyway, for another reason, I have rejected the order for this box but if they get funny about it, I can fall back on this issue to back me up 😄

All told, this Sky Q box upgrade has been an absolute nightmare for me. Sky have been dreadful dealing with it.

Well to be honest it's a feature many users are also using quite happily. We (as a very small sample) have an old Panasonic plasma, a Panasonic OLED and a cheap Samsung LCD and all 3 trigger fine on the CEC signal from Sky Q and minis. Edit: actually I'm not sure the samsung supports it but I've got so used to holding down the sky remote power button to turn that TV on or off that I forgot)

I suspect the vast majority of people have a simialr experience but CEC has never been the most reliable of technologies, and sometimes my AV amp will just not bother to turn on because the TV doesn't talk to it properly. I can live with the other remotes needing to be used and honestly I think of it was consistent and I always had to turn the TV on & choose the HDMI input, it would be less annoying than random misbehaviour.

This message was authored by C.D.K. This message was authored by: C.D.K.

Hi sorry for the delay, been travelling. 

Yes the TV goes on standby after 15 mins of no input signal - the minimum time setting on my Samsung unit. 

But the sky box goes off before that (I think less than 2 mins after the warning?) 

That action by the sky box seems to cause a reset and to disables the whole HDMI input module on the TV. Plugging into a different HDMI input makes no difference.  Though FreeView/Free Sat channels received via the tv itself keep working. 

The only way to bring everything back to life is to disconnect all HDMI inputs, then reset the TV to manufacturer setting, retune everything from scratch like from new. Then the inputs spring into life and the HDMI signal is recognised.

As I said this only started after sometime in Aug 2023. 

oldgeek
Topic Author

@Chodley Well, it used to only happen occasionally with my main Sky Box and Samsung TV, but then decided to do it every time. I have two mini boxes, both connected to Samsung TVs, with HDMI control switched on. They both work perfectly. It's just the main Box that is troublesome. Anyhoo, I just switched it off, and manually switch. Incidentally, holding down the Sky remote power button does indeed power off my TVs. I use this feature all the time.

It's all a bit frustrating, as I used to have macros configured in my Harmony remote, but since this issue started, these routines no longer work properly, yet I have changed nothing this side.

This message was authored by JamesH1 This message was authored by: JamesH1

I realised the issue was actually with how I integrated with my sound bar. The sky box was connected to my sound bar, then the sound bar to the tv (Using the Arc port). For whatever reason this started causing issues. I fixed it by connecting the sky box to the TV directly and then separately connecting the TV to the sound bar. Thought I'd share in case others have a similar configuration!

This message was authored by Jasminoh This message was authored by: Jasminoh

We've been having the same issue, on a Samsung UHD TV also.
Previously had a 2TB Q and the hard disk started dying, when it went, after an immense amount of faff, we got a new 2TB HDR. Then the HDMI problems started, but slightly different from the above. although also randomly.
When we're watching an app, Netflix or Apple for example, when going back to "normal" sky, we then get the no HDMI signal.
But also it occasionally just hangs. It's random and I haven'tfound a sure fire way of how to trigger it, but it will happen a few times a day.
Engineer booked for Jan, hoping it will just be a swap for a new box after the conversations I've had on the phone, but I've also learnt that the visiting engineer doesn't always seem to read up, or be provided with the issue prior to the visit.
So we will see....

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion