Discussion topic: Mini box keeps freezing or losing signal

This message was authored by Nic6 This message was authored by: Nic6

Mini box keeps freezing or losing signal

This has been going on for a few weeks now but seems to be getting progreworse wheneatching live tv. Sometime the signal is disrupted but usually we geta blue screen and the following message "You can't currently watch TV as there's issue with the connection between this mini box and your sky Q box. For help press?" Is this a fault with the mini box or sky Q box?  Our wifi is fine so this is not an issue. We have  recently struggled to play Netflix through our Sky Q box - don't know if this is a coincidence or not!  Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Mini box keeps freezing or losing signal

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nic6 wrote:

This has been going on for a few weeks now but seems to be getting progreworse wheneatching live tv. Sometime the signal is disrupted but usually we geta blue screen and the following message "You can't currently watch TV as there's issue with the connection between this mini box and your sky Q box. For help press?" Is this a fault with the mini box or sky Q box?  Our wifi is fine so this is not an issue. We have  recently struggled to play Netflix through our Sky Q box - don't know if this is a coincidence or not!  Thanks

Hi @Nic6 

First try rebooting the main Q box and then when this is completely back up and running reboot the mini.
To reboot press Standby on your Sky Q remote (if the box responds to the remote), and then switch off and unplug at the mains.
Wait at least 30 secs and then Plug back in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear and the front led to turn Amber. Then wait for 30 secs before you press Home on your Sky Q remote or if this is not working press the standby button on the front of the Q box (Amber led)

note: some features may take up to 5 minutes to return.

Reboot the mini as above.
If the mini still does not connect try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

If you are on Sky Broadband and the Router is nearer to the mini than the main box then you can try pressing WPS on the router instead of the main Q box.

Failing all of the above you may need a Sky Q WiFi Booster to position midway between your main Q box and the mini and you will need to contact Sky directly.

Nic6
Topic Author

Thanks. i should have said we are having to  reboot both devices to try and solve the issue. That works for. A short period but then it happens again. We have no problems with using wifi in the room where the mini box is located and the wifi is near the Sky Q box. We don't have sky wifi. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Nic6 wrote:

Thanks. i should have said we are having to  reboot both devices to try and solve the issue. That works for. A short period but then it happens again. We have no problems with using wifi in the room where the mini box is located and the wifi is near the Sky Q box. We don't have sky wifi. 

Hi @Nic6 

If you are not using Sky Broadband then your WiFi network is irrelevant as the Mini will need to connect to the Main Q box WiFi.

Did you carry out a Network reset onthe mini as per my previous post?

ie

If the mini still does not connect try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

Nic6
Topic Author

Thank you. It appears to have improved. Only time will tell but thank you for your help

This message was authored by Rachel-M This message was authored by: Rachel-M

I am also having the same issues and have tried all of the above and it is just getting worse, no signal problems with anything else in the house and not using sky for broadband, losing the will to live with it at the minute as I can't seem to be able to watch any of my recordings as it just says they are no longer available or I get a blank blue screen and nothing happens, tv guide won't fully load and if try to just watch something it cuts off every few minutes and says it's having connection issues but the settings show everything is connected! I'm wondering if the box is just knackered and I need a new one 

This message was authored by macker51 This message was authored by: macker51

My mini boxes in both the bedroom and tv room keep crashing .Sometimes up to 10 times a day and usually from 10pm at night they don't work at all .Always says the same thing we cannot connect to your broadband router .The wifi is working fine with smart tv so I can watch Netflix and Disney on that but not through sky 

This message was authored by jct This message was authored by: jct

I'm having the same problem. I had a sky booster installed and no help. Also have tried using Ethernet and develop to try to hardwire the mini boxes but to no avail. I've had the BT wifi upgraded if newest router and wifi is fine through out the house. It's intermittent but happens daily, different times. I've looked at the channels used and both wifi and sky seem to use Chanel 36, so maybe channel conflict?

This message was authored by andyfromt-town This message was authored by: andyfromt-town

Same here. Have tried all the trouble shooting suggestions but sky mini box seems to be progressively worse! Any other suggestions??

This message was authored by Tams82 This message was authored by: Tams82

Exactly the same is happening to us. It's with the sky q box. It will work okay for a little while and then the screen freezes. The problem is getting worse and worse. Sky have replaced the sky box and router but the problem is still there. Hours and hours spent on the phone and waiting for sky engineers and no resolution. Don't know what more I can do. So upsetting 

This message was authored by Skinner1110 This message was authored by: Skinner1110

Try deleting some of your recordings, and deleting them permanently.

This message was authored by LR1984 This message was authored by: LR1984

I'm getting this. Also when I try to fast forward through a program on the mini box, it either doesn't do it or it fast forwards and then won't stop, no matter what I press on the remote. The main box has no problem and there's no problem with the one in my son's room, it's just the one in my room. 

I'd like a new one really but I've been told Sky will just send someone out. As its intermittent, I can't guarantee it will happen when an engineer arrives! 

I've reset the box many times and reconnected it etc. Nothing is working. 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@LR1984 wrote:

I'm getting this. Also when I try to fast forward through a program on the mini box, it either doesn't do it or it fast forwards and then won't stop, no matter what I press on the remote. The main box has no problem and there's no problem with the one in my son's room, it's just the one in my room. 

I'd like a new one really but I've been told Sky will just send someone out. As its intermittent, I can't guarantee it will happen when an engineer arrives! 

I've reset the box many times and reconnected it etc. Nothing is working. 

@LR1984 that can be that the mini box is at the limit for receiving the signal from the main box, so by sending an engineer they can check the stregnth of the signal and if need be add a booster midway between the boxes if they decide that its a faulty box then they can replace it 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by LR1984 This message was authored by: LR1984

I already have a Sky booster and have fibre to the house. 

This message was authored by Alpha123456789 This message was authored by: Alpha123456789

Same exact problem for me, started about a week ago after years of working fine. This is obviously something sky has done!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion