Discussion topic: How to get a sky box replacement

This message was authored by Bizzy78 This message was authored by: Bizzy78

How to get a sky box replacement

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get hold of a reconditioned sky box, how do i go about buying one ASAP? Because i recently moved houses and i have lost my the unit during transit. I understand you can buy a reconditioned one from sky directly, just wondering the price and how do i go about getting one as i am currently paying for the service without the actual box itself.

any help would be appreciated. 

cheers in advance.

Best Answers
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020 Answer

Re: How to get a sky box replacement

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You cannot buy Sky Q boxes.  All boxes are loaned whilst with an active subscription.

If you've 'lost' one then you'll have to contact Sky directly and pay the appropriate replacement charge.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Bizzy78 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get hold of a reconditioned sky box, how do i go about buying one ASAP? Because i recently moved houses and i have lost my the unit during transit. I understand you can buy a reconditioned one from sky directly, just wondering the price and how do i go about getting one as i am currently paying for the service without the actual box itself.

cheers in advance.

You can't buy Sky Q boxes, reconditioned or otherwise. Q hardware is always loaned to customers for the duration of a TV service contract. 

If you have lost your Q box then you'll need to contact Sky and request a replacement but there's a strong likelihood they'll charge you something for the lost box. 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020 Answer

You cannot buy Sky Q boxes.  All boxes are loaned whilst with an active subscription.

If you've 'lost' one then you'll have to contact Sky directly and pay the appropriate replacement charge.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Bizzy78 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-not-returning-sky-q-equipment

Up to £135 for a 2TB or £117 for a 1TB. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Bizzy78
Topic Author

Thank you all..

Would another economical option such as ebay be viable for an identical unit if located))) up until the duration of the contract for a more cost effective way to get one. Essentially want to avoid any additional costs at the end of the contract by using anithet unit and found to be not the one they initially provided if it makes any sense. 

cheers 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Bizzy78 

Definately not. Any on eBay or other such sites will mean you're buying stolen property.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Bizzy78  no any you buy off auction sites are classed as stolen property and you can be done for handling stolen goods 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Bizzy78 wrote:

Thank you all..

Would another economical option such as ebay be viable for an identical unit if located))) up until the duration of the contract for a more cost effective way to get one. Essentially want to avoid any additional costs at the end of the contract by using anithet unit and found to be not the one they initially provided if it makes any sense. 

cheers 

Any Sky Q box sourced from anywhere other than Sky is essentially stolen property as Sky retain ownership of all their Q hardware. As soon as you try to use a box not originally provided to you, with your viewing card, the serial number of the box will be sent to Sky and they will know you are using the incorrect/stolen box.

(Removed)

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate comment

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Bizzy78 wrote:

Thank you all..

cheers 

I don't think you understand what is being posted, you can't BUY any Q boxes from any source.

Q boxes are all loaned to the customer by Sky, any for sale are in effect stolen property.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Bizzy78
Topic Author

I understand loud and clear mate. Just didn't understand the logistics behind it. So just to clarify, it's an absolute must to buy from Sky directly is this correct?

cheers 

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Bizzy78 wrote:

I understand loud and clear mate. Just didn't understand the logistics behind it. So just to clarify, it's an absolute must to buy from Sky directly is this correct?

cheers 

@Bizzy78  YES (and you loan them for the duration of your subscription

not buy them )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Bizzy78 wrote:

cheers 

You don't BUY them, they are loaned, you must obtain a replacement box from Sky.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Bizzy78 wrote:

Hi everyone,

cheers in advance.

Did you tell Sky you were moving by initiating a 'Home Move' through them? 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion