Discussion topic: Ethernet mini box issues

This message was authored by richardwyatt This message was authored by: richardwyatt

Ethernet mini box issues

I know this has probably been covered a load of times with varying degrees of issues. I can't quite find an answer so far that works.

we have sky q and 1 mini box in another room. They are only connected through Ethernet using power line connectors. The mini box is just a joke at watching anything live. I was trying to watch the football and it constantly drops out and the picture freezing. You get 5 seconds and then 2 seconds of freezing. It's utterly infuriating. I've resorted to recording live tv and then watching the recording a few seconds behind. This never has any issues. So this means;

a. There is no issue with the network connection as the streaming of just a few seconds delay works fine

b. The mini box is fine as it can play recorded things just fine!

why is this so hard to work normally watching live tv?? This is so frustrating and seemingly a software issue more than the way the network is operating.

any ideas??

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Ethernet mini box issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@richardwyatt wrote:

I know this has probably been covered a load of times with varying degrees of issues. I can't quite find an answer so far that works.

we have sky q and 1 mini box in another room. They are only connected through Ethernet using power line connectors. The mini box is just a joke at watching anything live. I was trying to watch the football and it constantly drops out and the picture freezing. You get 5 seconds and then 2 seconds of freezing. It's utterly infuriating. I've resorted to recording live tv and then watching the recording a few seconds behind. This never has any issues. So this means;

a. There is no issue with the network connection as the streaming of just a few seconds delay works fine

b. The mini box is fine as it can play recorded things just fine!

why is this so hard to work normally watching live tv?? This is so frustrating and seemingly a software issue more than the way the network is operating.

any ideas??

Hi @richardwyatt 

Unfortunately Powerline is never guaranteed and depends heavily on the complexity and condition of your mains wiring.

What Powerline units are you using and how exactly are they connected and where are they located?

richardwyatt
Topic Author
This message was authored by richardwyatt This message was authored by: richardwyatt

Our house got rewired 10 years ago and we've never had any issues with them other than with this mini box. If we can steam recorded tv but not live tv then surely the network isn't the issue? 

we use TP Link power line adapters and have 1 right at the router and the send next to the mini unit. 

The wifi with boxes was seperated by a wall and it never worked. Was atrocious and the engineer said that a wall is enough to block the signal! 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Who is your Broadband supplier @richardwyatt 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion