Discussion topic: Delete All option doesn't work

This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

Delete All option doesn't work

So, I'm trying to delete 10 episodes of Mrs. Merton in one quick & easy go. I use the following process:

Recordings>Manage>Disk Space>scroll right & then down to Mrs. Merton>scroll right to Delete All & press>go to Confirm & press. Nothing happens. Mrs. Merton is still visible in the Disk Space section & on my recordings list.

I take a slightly different route:

Recordings>Manage>Disk Space>Scroll right & down to Mrs. Merton & press in order to select all episodes. S3 6 episodes & S4 4 episodes appear. I scroll right to Delete All & Confirm for S3 & do the same for S4. Again, nothing happens & all episodes are still visible in the Disk Space section & on my recordings list. 

So what exactly is the point of Delete All in this area of Manage? And yes, I do know I could delete them all individually if I were to delete them from my Recordings list & then go to Recordings>Manage>Deleted & delete them individually from there, but that's a lot of clicks.

And yes, before anyone says it, I know I could delete them from my Recordings list & then leave them alone & they'll sort themselves out one day, but I'm one of those people ( & I know I'm not alone in this ) who likes to keep things tidy & not have a massive amount of deleted programmes sitting on their box, so please don't go down that route if you reply.  

I was actually the person who put the idea forward on this forum in a special section for Sky Q ideas to have a Delete All button where it should be: Recordings>Manage>Deleted & then have a Delete All button. Unfortunately, the idea never came to fruition, despite being something that was clearly wanted by a lot of people going by the amount of Likes the idea received. Why we have a Delete All button in one place that doesn't work but can't have a Delete All button in a place where it would work beggars belief.

All Replies

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Re: Delete All option doesn't work

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sky must have a reason why it works that way @merv60 maybe we should have both options delete all and delete all forever 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Hi @merv60 

Just tried Delete all in the Manage - Disk space section.

Worked OK here (tried it twice on two different listings)

If you have any more to try might be worth trying a reboot first.

To reboot press Standby on your Sky Q remote (if the box responds to the remote), and then switch off and unplug at the mains.
Wait at least 30 secs and then Plug back in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear and the front led to turn Amber. Then wait for 30 secs before you press Home on your Sky Q remote or if this is not working press the standby button on the front of the Q box (Amber led)

note: some features may take up to 5 minutes to return.

merv60
Topic Author

@oldfella  Well, I hope you didn't inadvertently lose something you haven't yet watched by doing that, because weirdly, Sky decided to give us a Delete All option in the area ( disk space ) where there's a list of programmes/films we haven't yet seen. I never have understood why that was done. Surely it must be a rare occurrence that we would delete anything from that list, I think yesterday was the first time I tried using it. Whereas a Delete All button in the other section would be regularly used.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@merv60 wrote:

@oldfella  Well, I hope you didn't inadvertently lose something you haven't yet watched by doing that, because weirdly, Sky decided to give us a Delete All option in the area ( disk space ) where there's a list of programmes/films we haven't yet seen. I never have understood why that was done. Surely it must be a rare occurrence that we would delete anything from that list, I think yesterday was the first time I tried using it. Whereas a Delete All button in the other section would be regularly used.

Personally @merv60  I think that is the logical place for it - but I do come from an IT background

You can tell if there is an episode that has not been watched from the lust as the grouped list will show a white spot marker if any are unwatched (one of the few places it remains after they removed it from the continue section) 

@merv60 wrote:

Hi @merv60 

The Delete All option in Manage - Disk space is not Delete forever.    Deleted items can be retrieved from the Deleted section.   It just removes them from the Recordings section just the same as any Delete.

merv60
Topic Author

@oldfella wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

Hi @merv60 

The Delete All option in Manage - Disk space is not Delete forever.    Deleted items can be retrieved from the Deleted section.   It just removes them from the Recordings section just the same as any Delete.

@oldfella Fair enough, but does go to show why a Delete All button is needed in the Deleted section. For example, I currently have 115 episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway? USA recorded & waiting to be watched. But what if I decided I wanted to delete them? I have to use Delete All in the Disk Space section & this will move all 115 episodes to the Delete section ( if it worked, which it currently doesn't on my box, hence my OP ) & I would then have to delete 115 episodes individually. This may be a slightly extreme example but still possible & proves my point that a Delete All button is needed.

It's a personal choice @merv60 

but I also prefer to keep my deleted section empty .

No effort really as I delete anything I have watched immediately after.

Then each evening before shutting down I go to the Manage section and Delete forever.

@merv60 wrote:

@oldfella wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

Hi @merv60 

@oldfella Fair enough, but does go to show why a Delete All button is needed in the Deleted section. For example, I currently have 115 episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway? USA recorded & waiting to be watched. But what if I decided I wanted to delete them? I have to use Delete All in the Disk Space section & this will move all 115 episodes to the Delete section ( if it worked, which it currently doesn't on my box, hence my OP ) & I would then have to delete 115 episodes individually. This may be a slightly extreme example but still possible & proves my point that a Delete All button is needed.

There is no need to use the delete for ever to delete everything- SKY Q's routines work very well

I am not arguing that some would like such an option but the number of people that would use it is a tiny percentage thus I can see why SKY has never implemented it

merv60
Topic Author

@oldfella wrote:

It's a personal choice @merv60 

but I also prefer to keep my deleted section empty .

No effort really as I delete anything I have watched immediately after.

Then each evening before shutting down I go to the Manage section and Delete forever.

@oldfella  I'm similar in that I tidy up that section about once a week & I know from previous discussions that a lot of people also do this as, like you say, a personal choice. In your case, deleting daily, then no, you don't need a Delete All button, but if done weekly or monthly then it would be very useful.

merv60
Topic Author

@nigea99 wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

@oldfella wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

Hi @merv60 

There is no need to use the delete for ever to delete everything- SKY Q's routines work very well

I am not arguing that some would like such an option but the number of people that would use it is a tiny percentage thus I can see why SKY has never implemented it

@nigea99  Is that correct ( see bold highlight above )? I seem to recall a Delete All button with Sky on the Sky+ boxes but I might be misremembering. I think that's why I asked for it to be reinstated for Sky Q boxes in the Sky Q ideas section on this forum, as mentioned earlier. I'm sure someone will let me know.

hi @merv60 

I have to admit I did not qualify my answer - and I meant on SKY Q

I don't remember too much of SKY HD but IIRC there was not both a delete & Delete forever & there was probably a delete all that deleted in one action

This message was authored by TTMODELL This message was authored by: TTMODELL

But to go back to the OP...why does the function to "delete all" in the manage disk space section not work?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion