Discussion topic: Break up of picture

middlesex1993
Topic Author
This message was authored by middlesex1993 This message was authored by: middlesex1993

Re: Break up of picture

Moderm  day life is so very complicated.

I am told that Sky Stream boxes will be the future. No dishes etc. However if you lose your broadband you lose your tv.and of course you can not record.

I have also not mentioned how people without broadband at home will cope.

I have not even mentioned Digi Voice replacing landlines.

Sorry getting away from the subject of this thread.

Just checked  again. BBC 1 still not good on Sky Q.

This message was authored by grumpyoldgit32 This message was authored by: grumpyoldgit32

I agree. 
moving away from a dish seems a good thing as far as communal dishes go but as you say, what if your broadband packs up!! 
I hope with all the money Sky is taking, they will come up with a more foolproof method for us sooner than later!

middlesex1993
Topic Author
This message was authored by middlesex1993 This message was authored by: middlesex1993

it seems that other than myself and one other person no one is having problems with BBC channels on Sky Q.

Am I correct?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Have you spoken to your flats' management company about it? It's not a broadcast problem, and it's unlikely (but not impossible) to be a problem with your Sky Q box. Most likely the problem will lie somewhere within your communal set up.

middlesex1993
Topic Author

Mark39.

Thanks for that reply.

As I say, the issue only seems to be with BBC channels.

1) The Sky communal dish for my block is just one year old. This was also happening with the previous Sky communal dish so I can not think it is the Sky communal dish.

2) The Signal Quality is always 90. The Signal Strength varies between 80 and 90. I am told this is very good.

3) I do not think it can be  the Sky  Q box if it is only happening on BBC channels.

The pixelation happens in the middle of the  picture,and  disturbance is narrow with different colours, and  only happens for two or three seconds and then back to normal. I can be watching for ten minutes and all is okay.

i am told by a number of people that BBC have recently changed their signal whatever that means. Sadly I do not know anyone else in our small block who uses Sky.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@middlesex1993 it's the result of either a faulty Sky box or a problem with the signal arriving at your Sky Q box from your communal system (which includes components other than just the dish).

My odds would be on the communal system being the cause.

middlesex1993
Topic Author

I have noticed at least one other thread on this site. 'BBC channels do not work on Sky Q'

When I  google this generally, It seems BBC channels are the only  channels  that are affected.

As it happens periodically, and only for a few seconds each time, I think I will put up with it.

I would also add once again. Signal Quality is always 90. Signal Strength is either 90 or 80. I am told this is excellent.

On that basis,  I can not believe it is my Sky Q box or the Sky communal dish or the rest of the communal Sky system that is at fault.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@middlesex1993 wrote:

I have noticed at least one other thread on this site. 'BBC channels do not work on Sky Q'

When I  google this generally, It seems BBC channels are the only  channels  that are affected.

As it happens periodically, and only for a few seconds each time,  I  think I will put up with it.

I would also add once again. Signal Quality is always 90. Signal Strength is either 90 or 80. I am told this is excellent.

On that basis,  I can not believe it is my Sky Q box or the Sky communal dish or the rest of the communal Sky system that is at fault.

or the rest of their communal system.

hi @middlesex1993 

The Signal Quality/'Strength on SKY Q is misleading.

It does not report the values for the channel you are currently watching but is set for a specific transponder in an engineer's menu.

Thus it is only a guide & does not  identify problems with any other specific channels 

Regarding BBC channels - you could probably do similar seaches for other channels as some people will report problems with channels they are getting - Personally I do not feel that the BBC channels are particular prone to problems

@middlesex1993 wrote:

Mark39.

Thanks for that reply.

As I say, the issue only seems to be with BBC channels.

1) The Sky communal dish for my block is just one year old. This was also happening with the previous Sky communal dish so I can not think it is the Sky communal dish.

2) The Signal Quality is always 90. The Signal Strength varies between 80 and 90. I am told this is very good.

3) I do not think it can be  the Sky  Q box if it is only happening on BBC channels.

The pixelation happens in the middle of the  picture,and  disturbance is narrow with different colours, and  only happens for two or three seconds and then back to normal. I can be watching for ten minutes and all is okay.

I will be honest & say I am not 100% sure what your problem is - this does not quite seem like normal signal issues

i am told by a number of people that BBC have recently changed their signal whatever that means. Sadly I do not know anyone else in our small block who uses Sky.

The change to BBC channels was on BBC1 where they have upgraded all the regional versions to now be HD (from SD) 

This message was authored by grumpyoldgit32 This message was authored by: grumpyoldgit32

I'm in correspondence with the management of the building but they're saying the communal dish is my responsibility as we pay Sky for services! 

@grumpyoldgit32 wrote:

I'm in correspondence with the management of the building but they're saying the communal dish is my responsibility as we pay Sky for services! 

hi @grumpyoldgit32 

Unfortunately this highlights the key issue with communal systems.

SKY are responsible for the box & transmission via the Satellites (for their channels & other providers for theirs such as UKTV) but the reception via a dish & quality of  the signal within the Communal system is down to the building management. 

It can be difficult for issues not fall between the two parties  or either to try to pass the buck.  

Certainly is a key issue and people passing the buck makes me the Grumpy Old Git that I am! 😅

middlesex1993
Topic Author

As I understand the position.

If you live in a block of flats, the Sky communal dish belongs to the freeholders. The managing agents acting for the freeholders will have to get a company  down to deal with the Sky communal dish. 
An individual resident who has Sky television, can get a Sky engineer to come down and look at your Sky box and the connections in your flat,  but I do not think the Sky engineer will touch the Sky communal dish.

The problem them arises. Sky could say the problem is with the Sky communal dish. The company sent by the managing agents could say the problem is with the Sky box. Sadly the resident could then be stuck in the middle.

Such is life.

Yes, and I've been stuck in the middle several times. 
it's very time consuming and frustrating 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@grumpyoldgit32 @middlesex1993 from my understanding of communual systems when a MDU trainesd engineer comes out to look at your system and the Sky equipment that is installed then they should be sending you a report of the check on all the transponders if any of them are too low to get a proper signal then you would be able to show this to you management company im sure our resident communual expert @Godfrey will explain this a lot better than I can 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion