Discussion topic: BBC iPlayer UHD on SkyQ?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: BBC iPlayer UHD on SkyQ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dave-1234567890 wrote:

I just replaced my v1 2TB box with a V3 1 TB box, 32B206 and i don't see the UHD icons on the relevant iPlayer programs, although the quality looks like UHD

I'd imagine it's quite possible that box has been sitting in a warehouse since 2019 and doesn't currently have the most recent version of the iPlayer app installed.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Dave-1234567890 This message was authored by: Dave-1234567890

Good point Tim, I wonder if I can update it, time for more research 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Dave-1234567890 

I'd suggest running the Q update process

1. Go to Settings, then System Info and highlight Software version.
  2. Choose Setup and then select Software download.
  3. Your box will start to download the latest software. This can take up to 10 minutes.
  4. To check the status of the software download, go to Settings, then System info and highlight Software version.
  5. When it says "Software update successful" press the Standby button on your remote.
  6. When your box restarts, follow the on screen messages. You'll then be on the latest software version.

and then the app refresh process

Home

Settings (but do not select Settings)

With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.

Choose 'Refresh all Apps on this box'

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Dave-1234567890 This message was authored by: Dave-1234567890

Thanks @TimmyBGood 

it didn't restart after the software update, probably because I was already on the latest version, so I restarted it manually. 

Updated apps, again didn't restart just back to TV, so again I restarted manually. 

There still are no UHD icons on any iPlayer programs. 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Dave-1234567890 wrote:

Thanks @TimmyBGood 

it didn't restart after the software update, probably because I was already on the latest version, so I restarted it manually. 

Updated apps, again didn't restart just back to TV, so again I restarted manually. 

There still are no UHD icons on any iPlayer programs. 

hi @Dave-1234567890 

I am not too sure if this will hep anyone but perhaps you can tell us what the iplayer app System info says

When in the app, scroll down the left hand menu bar to the Settings Wheel, then tab down to 'Settings & help', you should get anothe menu with 'Help'  at the bottom & then another with System Information at the bootom

I am not sure speficially to look for but at the leaset I suggest Device (my V2 box shows as SKY STB 216 Q UHD) & Screen & Layout Resolutions 1920 x 1080 - hopefully someone with a V3 box can advise what you should see

EDIT : I am guessing ScreenLayout & resolution is not much help as my Firestick 4K app also shows 1920x1080 but I can get UHD/HDR on it

Thanks @nigea99 it says:

Application Version 32.20.13.0

Beta Mode: No

Build Identifier: Wednesday May 29 2024 14:55:57 GMT +0100()

Framework Version 12.1.1, Config Version: prebuilt-none

Device: SKY STB 2019 Q TITAN

Launched: live, Environment: LIVE, Domain: bbctvapps

Colour Depth: 32 bits-per-pixel

Screen & Layout Resolutions: 1920x1080 & 1920x1080 pixels

@Dave-1234567890 wrote:

Thanks @nigea99 it says:

Application Version 32.20.13.0

Beta Mode: No

Build Identifier: Wednesday May 29 2024 14:55:57 GMT +0100()

Framework Version 12.1.1, Config Version: prebuilt-none

Device: SKY STB 2019 Q TITAN

Launched: live, Environment: LIVE, Domain: bbctvapps

Colour Depth: 32 bits-per-pixel

Screen & Layout Resolutions: 1920x1080 & 1920x1080 pixels

Many thanks @Dave-1234567890 

From memory that is correctly identifying the box as the HDR capable version

Perhaps a  silly question but have you set the Video Quality in the app to 'Best Quality'

Yes @nigea99 I did check that 😁

Also the box settings is 2160 8 bit UHD

@Dave-1234567890 wrote:

Yes @nigea99 I did check that 😁

Also the box settings is 2160 8 bit UHD

ah I suspect  it needs to be 10 bit as the iplayer uses HDR which needs 10 bit

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

This is what my Sky Q V3 receiver displays;

Sky Q V3 iPlayer Info.jpg

Godfrey.

This message was authored by mappion This message was authored by: mappion

Depends on the Sky Q Box model.

Obviously if the Q box is not UHD compatible then the Iplayer will not support 4k, but also some of the UHD HDR boxes also do not support BBC Iplayer 4k. I have a V2 2TB box (32B1NN) which although supports 4k HDR (providing set to 10 Bit not 8 bit), does not support 4k on the BBC Iplayer. Everything else works with 4k. I believe that the V3 box does support BBC Iplayer 4k.

Never been a problem to me since I always use the native BBC Iplayer on the smart TV.

Thanks @nigea99 

My TV is almost 10 years old, bought on 30/08/2014, so  it doesn't support 10 bit, and hence I can't select it. 
I needed an excuse to buy a new bigger OLED TV, and now I have it, just need to persuade my wife, lol, maybe on its birthday, then this one can replace the bedroom tv 😁

I bit the bullet and bought a Samsung 77" OLED TV (S95D) struggled to find the 10 bit setting on it as was buried in connections not picture, as can set it separately for each hdmi input. Then changed Sky Q picture to 10 bit, refreshed the apps and hay presto I have iPlayer in Uhd on sky q (and on the tv apps too)

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@Dave-1234567890 wrote:

I bit the bullet and bought a Samsung 77" OLED TV (S95D) struggled to find the 10 bit setting on it as was buried in connections not picture, as can set it separately for each hdmi input. Then changed Sky Q picture to 10 bit, refreshed the apps and hay presto I have iPlayer in Uhd on sky q (and on the tv apps too)

Fair comment @Dave-1234567890 you must have the V3 Sky Q box as the V2 Sky Q box doesn't support iplayer in UHD even if I had the same tv connected to the V2 Sky Q box 

Yes, I had it changed, had to downgrade from 2Tb to 1 Tb to get a box though as they don't distinguish them when giving to the technicians 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion