Discussion topic: Aerial

This message was authored by GeorgeWatt This message was authored by: GeorgeWatt

Aerial

Similar to Brian I am trying to reduce wires around my living room - so if I get a new smart TV - other than connecting the HDMI to the Sky Q Box and Tv - what other connections do I need other than Power ? How is the Sky dish connected to the TV then or the Sky Q Box ? Do i need an aerial connection ?

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Aerial

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Satellite feeds have to be connected to the main Q box via cable - there is no alternative (for Q).

No 'aerial' required.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
GeorgeWatt
Topic Author
This message was authored by GeorgeWatt This message was authored by: GeorgeWatt

Thank you for that - my terminolgy was wrong - I was trying to work out if we can 'remotely' connect the Sky dish to the Q Box as Im trying to move my TV from one end of the living room to another without breaking up tiles on the floor/tiled skirting or putting trunking across the walls - but it looks like it might be the latter

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

@GeorgeWatt  The dish needs to be phsycally connected to the Q box with the coax cable that runs from the dish down to the box.  No way to do it without the wires.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@GeorgeWatt wrote:

Thank you for that - my terminolgy was wrong - I was trying to work out if we can 'remotely' connect the Sky dish to the Q Box as Im trying to move my TV from one end of the living room to another without breaking up tiles on the floor/tiled skirting or putting trunking across the walls - but it looks like it might be the latter

Hi @GeorgeWatt 

If the new location is on an external wall then it may be possible to install new cables from the dish.  Sky would do this for approximately £65.

If it is an internal wall then your options are limited.

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

@GeorgeWattYour other option is to looks at Sky Glass or Sky Stream as these have no dish and work over WiFi so less wires although these are a totally different type of service and require a fast internet connection with very strong WiFi.

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@bemak187 wrote:

@GeorgeWattYour other option is to looks at Sky Glass or Sky Stream as these have no dish and work over WiFi so less wires although these are a totally different type of service and require a fast internet connection with very strong WiFi.

Also a full undertstanding of what the differences are in the way they operate compared to Sky Q

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@GeorgeWatt 

Some Q users go to the extent of having the main box on the end of its dish cables in a concealed position without a screen, and then use a Q Mini box (over WiFi) with an HDMI cable to the television set.  That does mean giving up UHD output though, and requires the Multiscreen subscription.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion