Discussion topic: SKY GO update not working for Windows 10 on Laptop

This message was authored by unexus This message was authored by: unexus

Re: SKY GO update not working for Windows 10 on Laptop

Same problem as Hugo2206. Sky Go has worked for ages but suddenly after recent update I get the 001 error no matter what I try. I'm an IT Manager so have tried the following:-

uninstall Sky Go

reboot

remove Sky and Sky Go folders from %APPDATA% Roaming

reboot

run a registry cleaner to clean out any unused reg keys that might have been left behind

reboot

re-download and reinstall Sky Go App

The App starts - says downloading update and then stays on the blue screen ... been like that for 20 minutes

I have tried on a different computer - same problem.

The latest update has clearly broken the app.

Please fix it Sky.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@unexus wrote:

Please fix it Sky.

They already have via this beta release:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Join-the-Latest-Sky-Go-Trial-for-PC-Windows-and-Mac/td-p/40...

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by GokuSaiyanMaster This message was authored by: GokuSaiyanMaster

I had the same problem. I couldn't get SkyGo to work on my windows 10 laptop.  Then I downloaded an earlier version of SkyGo from https://sky-go.en.softonic.com and it worked! There are 3 earlier versions of SkyGo to choose from. I download SkyGo verson 21.6.2.0. I hope that helps.

This message was authored by Dick+Barton13 This message was authored by: Dick+Barton13

As others have written. Sky Go was working fine and then stopped. When I click to open the App on my laptop it says checking for updates and then just remains as a blue screen

DickBarton13_0-1667059599552.png

This message was authored by eirean+dunne This message was authored by: eirean+dunne

Is there any update on the resolution of this issue? Obviously the recent update has caused compatibility issues - Sky are still advertising that their shows are available to watch across different devices? Clearly I'm not getting the full service I'm paying for......or as described.  Do we need to escalate to CCPC or can you escalate inhouse?

This message was authored by NeilPost This message was authored by: NeilPost

Works on one laptop, not the other

99EF638C-47F5-4256-B0D4-CFD1A7B943E9.jpeg

This message was authored by Clareridds This message was authored by: Clareridds

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @NeilPost, I've escalated your post to the Sky Messaging team who will be in touch with you sometime today or tomorrow regarding the issue via a blue or red chat bubble. This  will appear at the bottom of this page.

The link below explains how this chat works. Please note, it's not a live chat, so replies are not instant but do keep this page open and keep an eye out for it: 
https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

When the chat bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or it will be automatically closed. 

Thanks,

Clare 

Community Team at Sky 

Clareridds

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

Remedied now.

Is it particularly tetchy around Windows Activation (or does it not care) as on a freshly rebuilt laptop. 

This message was authored by Eileen196 This message was authored by: Eileen196

I am having the same issue trying to load sky go onto laptop and it takes a while to load then when it does it says downloading update, then says loading then it just dissapears.  uninstalled and reinstalled but no difference.  can anyone help?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Eileen196 wrote:

then says loading then it just dissapears. 

Note that if you are in a User account on Windows and install with 'elevated privileges' this effectively breaks Go because the executable ends up in the Administrator profile.

Just double-clicking the installer within the user account environment puts the required files in the user profile.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

No it doesn't, you just get inherited Admin Privileges allowing extra rights based permissions.. As you describe would break Windows File Security.

This message was authored by Eileen196 This message was authored by: Eileen196

So what do I do?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@NeilPost 

That's what I've observed: using a right-click and 'Run as administrator' dumps app components into  a local profile folder which the user cannot access, causing Go to 'disappear'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

2FA3BF99-9A8D-4896-963A-18073680D9B8.jpeg

Sigh... after it worked earlier and downloading The Last of Us... it's crapped out again this evening 🤷‍♂️👎 when I come to watch.

This message was authored by kenrubotham This message was authored by: kenrubotham

@NeilPost 

Just looking at your posted picture and I see that you have McAfee running on your PC.

If the software also includes a firewall I suggest you close the Sky app, open McAfee and temporarily disable your firewall.

I use Eset, a similar internet security app and I have to disable my firewall to allow the app to properly communicate with whatever it's trying to reach. (The firewall is possibly flagging the apps traffic as suspiciou and from finding a Sky Q box on the same network, so the app just sits there without timing out and giving an error or any other hint at what's going on).

When I do this myself the app checks for updates for a couple of seconds then loads the content properly. Once that happens I turn my ESET firewall back on.

I might  set up a rule within my ESET firewall to trust all traffic from this app to save a few steps and ensure it launches properly each time.

I hope this helps.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion