Discussion topic: Terrible picture quality on 55 inch Sky Glass

This message was authored by Steve_83 This message was authored by: Steve_83

Terrible picture quality on 55 inch Sky Glass

I'm experiencing very poor quality on my Sky Glass. I did read about poor quality picture but didn't expect it to be worse than my 5 year old Samsung UHD which isn't even QLED.

The picture seems very washed out and kind of white as if there is something wrong with the backlight as well as weird pixelation issues.

Here are some example pics:

IMG_3159.jpeg

IMG_3168.jpeg

IMG_3173.jpeg

I have a full fibre (900 Mbps) connection with the Sky Glass connected directly to the router.

I can't believe how poor the picture quality is and it doesn't make sense to me that it would be worse quality than my relatively budget Samsung UHD from 5 years ago.

There must be an issue with it surely?

All Replies

This message was authored by bayardm This message was authored by: bayardm

Re: Terrible picture quality on 55 inch Sky Glass

The picture on our 43inch Glass sometimes suffers like that. However it varies across channels and programs, some programs produce a lovely, vivid and contrasty image while others are washed out. I could waste hours manipulating the parameters for each program.

Sky Glass 43” stand mount, Wi-fi, 1 puck, ethernet from Bt disc.
Sky Ultimate and whole home, Diamond VIP User
BT Hybrid FTTC, BT Smart Hub 2 + 1 disc
Steve_83
Topic Author

I've not really seen anything so far that has looked close to my old TV which is a tea shame.

I'm hoping it's an issue with my Sky Glass. I just read another similar thread on here I hadn't found before which suggests it's a panel issue.

I'm loathed to cancel my subscription within the 31 days as I quite like the offer and the content so far. Everything except for TV picture quality.

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

If you're not happy with Sky Glass I believe you have 31 days to cancel and return it. If you like the Sky Stream product, I suppose you could move your subscription to a Puck...

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Steve_83 having had a Sky Glass TV for nearly 2 years I fiind tge best picture setting is the Vivid preset with everything else at its defaults. As someone who is fussy about picture quality this surprised me as Vivid on most TVs is horrible but on the Glass it works well in a bright room. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Steve_83
Topic Author

I've tried all different presets and custom settings and nothing really works correctly. I suspect I have an issue with my panel. I find it hard to believe this is how a QLED should look compared to my old TV.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Steve_83 

I'd observe that 'QLED' isn't magic, particularly in a budget iteration.  We have a £499 LG UJ701V television from the last decade which is noticeably 'better' than the Glass set for some content.

As noted above, a current non-Sky television with a Stream puck gets the same content and UI on more recent and better specified hardware than Glass can offer.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Steve_83
Topic Author

There are issues with the backlight. Sky is replacing the TV and we'll see how the new one gets on. The sky glass offer was pretty good and although sky stream looks good too the offer isn't as good as the one I took out with Sky Glass.

This message was authored by Rdev1984 This message was authored by: Rdev1984

@Steve_83 

How was the new TV?. Any better.

My parents seem to have a very similar issue to you.

I'm not impressed with this TV even when comparing to a 14 year old lg 3d TV

Has to be a fault?

Steve_83
Topic Author

I did get another one but that seemed worse than the first. I ended up returning it and getting Sky Stream instead and bought a TCL 55C845K 55" which just blows Sky Glass away in my opinion. All my other devices such as Fire TV look great on it too and the glass even managed to make them look bad. My old Samsung used to look fine and I'd never really thought about picture quality before on that and it wasn't a top of the line Samsung either but I had already given that to my daughter for her room so decided to go for the TCL. No regrets at all. An amazing TV!

This message was authored by Rdev1984 This message was authored by: Rdev1984

Thanks for the reply.

The TCL looks great from reviews I've just checked out 

Does yours have UK catch up services.. iPlayer and itv hub etc . Some say it does and some say it doesn't.

Did sky give you any hassle with returns of the TV?. 

Did your package stay the same as I have come from sky q to sky glass..and now I'm thinking of pick instead like your setup 

This message was authored by slaters This message was authored by: slaters

@Steve_83 That's odd as we had a 50inch Qled 4k TCL tv with Sky Q and we found the picture to be be poor to average. Then we got Sky Glass and the picture is extremely good a vast improvement on the TCL TV. 

There does seem to be so much inconsistentcy with Sky Glass.

This message was authored by Sally_Sparrow This message was authored by: Sally_Sparrow

@slaters wrote:

@Steve_83 That's odd as we had a 50inch Qled 4k TCL tv with Sky Q and we found the picture to be be poor to average. Then we got Sky Glass and the picture is extremely good a vast improvement on the TCL TV. 

There does seem to be so much inconsistentcy with Sky Glass.

Not all TCL TVs are the same. The model mentioned earlier, TCL845, is a miniLED not a QLED. MiniLED is technologically better than QLED, hence why it blows Glass out of the water. 

This message was authored by David07 This message was authored by: David07

I'm new to this group and this thread looks very relevant to my issue.  I just got a new 55' Sky Glass 6 weeks ago and I'm really surprised and disappointed with the picture quality (mainly live sports which is the main reason I signed up). 

I called sky today and talked through all the points below. In fairness the support team were very helpful and, after a few tests, they agreed to send a new TV.  Hopefully this may resolve it otherwise I might have to look at rhe stream option. 

key issues: 

Faint black lines on live sport

Clear different colour blacks

Hazy white from side view

Pixelated

UHD picture really poor worse

Live Sport and movies are washed out and white/hazy on movies and sports

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

The faint black lines on sport (mostly in the grassy areas ) is a very common issue on here 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion